Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:13 PM

122 posts, read 307,421 times

Advertisements

What an incredibly laughable idea which comes from a bunch of pouty liberals who refuse to accept who and what the majority of people in Arizona wanted back in November, 2010. This thread has been done before and continues to be just more liberal temper tantrum. Enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 01:22 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,698,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzDreamer View Post
Find me one state that doesn't have a county or region that wants to be independent. Washington state has it's East vs West. California has North vs South.
Exactly. Sacramento has no sense of reality when it comes to California and southern California feels the effects of it. I've never been to DC, but i hear the communities around it are slums. It's the same everywhere. I'm sure Houston and Dallas feel the same.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:29 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Metal View Post
False. Back it up with proof.
California's cities are quite evenly split between conservative and liberal.

http://alt.coxnewsweb.com/statesman/...081205libs.pdf

California propositions: Proposition 8, county-by-county map, margin of victory - latimes.com

Rural California, however, tends to lean to the right.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:32 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Having the Federal Government be the largest two employers in a state would be a VERY scary thing to anyone who understands economics.
Please explain and educate.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:39 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They don't need to secede; they just need to wait. PHX will always dominate, but the political differences will diminish as the growing Hispanic influence pushes out the historic LDS families and the east valley Republicans who dominate the state now. Both Phoenix and Tucson will be "blue" in 20 years. It'll be the small towns like Safford that want to quit.
This is exactly what I don't want to see. You will also see in 20 years that tucson and phoenix are a dirty rotting ghetto and its white people who get racially profiled.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,280,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Likely because the majority of people in Baja Arizona were there way before the vast majority of people in Maricopa County.
So what? It would still be much more easy to just move than to try (and fail) to create a new state.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:42 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Tucson, Tombstone,Bisbee has always been a Democratic haven going back to the Civil War. Wyatt Earp couldn't get elected Cochise county Sherrif as a Republican. Phoenix was a village until Air conditioning and since the bubble burst and those millions of baby boomers aren't coming, it will soon be one again. Who will fill up Surprise, Sun City, and the other senior enclaves as Arpaios base dies off?

We never had anything in common

Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Tucson, Tombstone,Bisbee has always been a Democratic haven going back to the Civil War. Wyatt Earp couldn't get elected Cochise county Sherrif as a Republican. Phoenix was a village until Air conditioning and since the bubble burst and those millions of baby boomers aren't coming, it will soon be one again. Who will fill up Surprise, Sun City, and the other senior enclaves as Arpaios base dies off?

We never had anything in common
Democratic back then (post-civil war) did not mean liberal like it does now. The Republicans once stood for civil rights. Actually all of AZ was Democrat until the Johnson era when the tables began turning and the Republicans became the defenders of the status quo with respect to race relations and other social issues. The remainder of your post re Phoenix losing population is fanciful inasmuch as it flies in the face of reality.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:19 PM

308 posts, read 791,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
Please explain and educate.
So, you think it is a good idea for a would-be brand new state to base it's economic future on the Federal Government as the largest employer in that new state? What happens when political winds change and Border Patrol lays off half the workforce in the area? Or when the air base or Ft Huachuca are on the chopping block and get closed or downsized? Do you really want your state dependent on the federal budget process? I have seen what happened to Rome, NY when Griffis Air Base closed down. Not pretty. Now picture if an entire state was relying on the revenue brought in by that base instead of one small city.

A state needs companies making products in order to have a robust economy. Service jobs and government jobs only go so far, and do not make a good economic base. A thriving economy will have those types of jobs, and they are needed, but not as the majority of the jobs in a state (that is what I was replying to in the first place).

Now, if "Baha Arizona" really wants to have a chance, the people behind this "movement" should be courting companies, encouraging them to relocate here; thinking that the new state would be stable based only on the number of government jobs in the area is naive at best.

Luckily, as has been stated here several times, this whole "movement" will be going nowhere fast. Hopefully I have explained my opinion satisfactorily enough.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:44 PM

614 posts, read 1,764,774 times
I don't see why people get so hyped up about these topics. This will never happen. And if anything i would imagine the rest of the state is embaressed by this part of the state because the illegal immigration has gotten to such a disgusting level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona