Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 10:18 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times

Advertisements

A proposal to let people have guns while driving or walking through state university and community college campuses cleared its final hurdle in the Arizona Legislature on Thursday.

Arizona passes law allowing guns on campus - CBS News

I don't believe this is a swell idea. Guns, alcohol, hormones, and the pressures of college just aren't a good mix.

Old 04-08-2011, 11:57 AM

260 posts, read 511,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
A proposal to let people have guns while driving or walking through state university and community college campuses cleared its final hurdle in the Arizona Legislature on Thursday.

I don't believe this is a swell idea. Guns, alcohol, hormones, and the pressures of college just aren't a good mix.

If they allow guns in church, why would they not allow it on campus?

Old 04-08-2011, 04:25 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
I agree. What is the big deal? Why wouldn't they.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:33 PM

1,169 posts, read 5,267,610 times
Quote:
Your belief seems rational until you look into the stats.

Ever since Florida led the way and loosed conceal carry laws in the 80s there have been dire warnings of an increase in gun crimes. Here we are more than 20 years later and only two states won't issue concealed carry permits. Our violent crime rates nationwide are actually down.

Crime in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Legitimate concealed carry holders have prevented far more crimes than they have been accused of. Below is an article from huffingtonpost.com about the number of hate crimes prevented by people allowed to carry a gun.

Christopher Barron: Concealed Carry: If You're Interested in Preventing Hate Crimes, Let's Stop them Before They Happen

I understand everyone's apprehension, but this might be a case where intuition should take a back seat to facts.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:32 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,163 times
I think carry on campus is a great idea. I don't think AZ allows people under 21 to carry handguns so you wouldn't see freshmen legally carrying even if they allow campus carry. Besides, what about those of us who aren't students? Plenty of people out there with concealed carry licenses who must make themselves defenseless when entering a college campus. They should allow carry in K-12 schools too. People with carry licenses aren't a threat to students.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
I think carry on campus is a great idea. I don't think AZ allows people under 21 to carry handguns so you wouldn't see freshmen legally carrying even if they allow campus carry. Besides, what about those of us who aren't students? Plenty of people out there with concealed carry licenses who must make themselves defenseless when entering a college campus. They should allow carry in K-12 schools too. People with carry licenses aren't a threat to students.
Arizona is 18 for carrying and a license/training/permit is not required for concealed carry.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
18 years old. No license is required

Old 04-08-2011, 10:58 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Arizona should consider allowing those incarcerated to carry guns. People in prisons are often the victims of violent crime or sexual abuse. If they were allowed to carry weapons while incarcerated, they would be in a better postion to defend themselves. If a prisoner was targeted by another prisoner with a gun, several prisoners could then shoot that prisoner and prevent him from harming several prisoners.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:07 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:

Take into consideration all the crime that takes place on college grounds, such as muggings, sexual assaults, etc. Many of these victims are young women ... and if they carried firearms, they could get to the criminals before the criminals got to them. I see no problem with guns on campus. U.S. citizens have the right to keep and bear arms according to Second Amendment. Too many attempts have been made over the years to water down this right, but it certainly didn't curb the crime rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Arizona should consider allowing those incarcerated to carry guns. People in prisons are often the victims of violent crime or sexual abuse. If they were allowed to carry weapons while incarcerated, they would be in a better postion to defend themselves. If a prisoner was targeted by another prisoner with a gun, several prisoners could then shoot that prisoner and prevent him from harming several prisoners.
I don't know about this. I'm a big supporter of gun rights ... but prisoners should not have the same rights as everybody else. After all, the reason they are imprisoned is they violated their rights as citizens when they broke the law. Heck, give them back this right, and you might as well release them back into society to run rampant.

What I'd rather see is allowing the family members of murder victims to have a little vigilante justice against the criminal who committed the murder. I was watching a "20/20" episode earlier this evening reporting on two girls in California who were killed by the same person. This criminal was already a sex offender, and admitted to the murders after he was arrested. He even led the police to the location of one of the girl's dead remains. Even after all of this, the courts were hesitant about trying him for the murder of the girl he led police to. Further proof that the justice system is too slow and too lenient on these miscreants ... so why not allow the families to kill off a worthless thug of society???

Old 04-09-2011, 01:21 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
OK, let's ban hormones. The right to bear arms is gauranteed by the Constitution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: