Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 AM

24 posts, read 87,202 times

Advertisements

I would really like to hear from folks who had non-extreme political views and then moved to Arizona.

Please think about if things felt worse, better, or just like any other city before you comment. And I welcome thoughts on the "welcoming" or "non-welcoming" environment for those who do not label themselves "conservative".

I'm asking because my family and I plan on moving to the Chandler area in the next year or so. She used to live there and I have visited a few times and have liked the the terrain and promise of a more relaxed outdoors lifestyle (at least more than we have in Chicago).

But I'm getting reservations with all the not so flattering news stories coming out of Arizona... Even more so lately.

Thank you.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:23 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Gee, where to you suppose all those righties came from? Most of them are from the midwest just like you. Outside of the expansive ghettos of the Windy City, Illinois is every bit as conservative as Arizona. Welcome home.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:50 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,348,700 times
I can't speak for you, but I live my life as I wish, regardless of who I am surrounded by, regardless of their political/lifestyle persuasion. If nothing else, it makes for some interesting conversation, and I find there is a good chance that I will learn something by associating with different people. After all, aren't we a nation of immigrants, with different customs and experiences ? Don't be bashful, come on down, join the rest of the non natives...

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 04-13-2011, 11:56 AM

710 posts, read 3,390,766 times
Consider where you get your news from. If it's from the mainstream media, which has a definite axe to grind when it comes to AZ's anti-illegal efforts, realize that this is a 'live and let live' type of place...

If you're an open borders fan, or a 'government knows best' person, might I be the first to suggest you head west until you reach Yuma, AZ, then keep going for 3 more hours. Otherwise, welcome to AZ - no place like it...

Old 04-13-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Gee, where to you suppose all those righties came from? Most of them are from the midwest just like you. Outside of the expansive ghettos of the Windy City, Illinois is every bit as conservative as Arizona. Welcome home.
Not really an answer, but more of a jab "expansive ghettos...", ok... This is exactly the type of non-welcoming attitude I was talking about. His world view seems to be the only one that matters.

Next time can you please at least pretend to think about my question before you reply. But I am getting an idea of how it must be to live there with folks who are so quick to make such outrageous and general statements.

Thanks anyhow.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:21 PM

710 posts, read 3,390,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecas29 View Post
Not really an answer, but more of a jab "expansive ghettos...", ok... This is exactly the type of non-welcoming attitude I was talking about. His world view seems to be the only one that matters.

Next time can you please at least pretend to think about my question before you reply. But I am getting an idea of how it must be to live there with folks who are so quick to make such outrageous and general statements.

Thanks anyhow.
Yikes.

Try Oakland then.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,379 times
I'll remember that next time I am in Skokie.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:26 PM

ji603 -

What does move to Oakland mean? Is that another insult because my post says "non-conservative"? Did you read at all where I say "I have visited a few times and have liked the the terrain and promise of a more relaxed outdoors lifestyle"??? Or are you just not willing to add anything productive to this thread?

Skokie?? Not sure where this thread is going now.

I want to make it clear -- I am not saying Chicago or any city is perfect or AZ is bad... We plan on moving there. But if there is no one willing to admit that AZ is a little more on the conservative side, then there really is a problem. And I am not looking for a Woodstock or anything like it... I am just trying to get a real world view of folks with feet on the ground who can be honest to my questions without the off-topic jabs.

Thanks!

Old 04-13-2011, 12:38 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecas29 View Post

Thanks anyhow.
It's a fact. The ghettos of Chicago are the only liberal part of the state outside of a few enclaves. If you do OK there, you will be fine here. It will be just like living downstate.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:33 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,515,537 times
I'm a liberal, hoping to move to Arizona this year. I'm not worried about it. Where I live right now, it's so extremely right and religious that I've had my car vandalized for having a Democrat bumper sticker, had my house vandalized for having a Democrat yard sign during an election, been labeled a Satanist because I don't go to church, am assumed to be gay because around here women of my age are expected to be married with children and "serving your man". Rumors also went around that I was running a wh*rehouse, because "a single woman wouldn't buy a big house for any other reason", although I never have company over, so they don't see people coming and going. I get bombarded with Bible thumpers at my door all the time. I figure compared to this, dealing with whatever conservatism may be in Arizona will be a breeze. At least in Arizona it's not Bible thumping conservatism, and it seems to be more of a "live and let live" kind of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona