U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-30-2007, 05:37 PM

45 posts, read 15,442 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an apartment, and I am wondering the average utilites? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 06:03 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,251,742 times
I am curious to see the responses to this post as I am moving to North Phoenix/Scottsdale area in September.

Ohio (where I am moving from) doesnt get anywhere near as hot as AZ. We had a string of 90'ish days (with like 99% humidity) and my a/c ran probably for weeks straight. I have 1300 sf up/down townhouse. And that month alone ran me near $100. So when planning my relocation and budget and so forth, I have been budgeting around $200-$250 monthly for June-Sept in Arizona (obviously the worst months I anticipate). I am curious how close I am.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:10 PM

7,971 posts, read 16,166,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ndless View Post
I am looking for an apartment, and I am wondering the average utilites? Thanks!
Tough question to answer, m1ndless.

Which utilities are you questioning? Is Air Conditioning your responsibility and billed on your electricity account or is it covered by the Landlord (included with the rent)? Depending on the type of apartment, there may be other utilities involved (gas and water, etc).

Good Luck

Old 07-30-2007, 07:21 PM

28,505 posts, read 21,629,733 times
There is no such thing as average utiities in AZ. Things vary tremendously and depend on location, their City rates, size like sq ft, construction like wood frame, block insulation etal. Old structure vs new structure.
Try looking up each cities web site and see what they list as cost of living in that area.

Old 07-30-2007, 11:19 PM

3,632 posts, read 11,088,478 times
When I lived in a typical 2 bedroom apartment I paid usually a high of $150-175 for electricity, with gas (if I had gas) around $30. During the winter my gas would be higher and electricity lower to about $50-$60. The only other thing to pay would be the phone which usually runs $35 with a reg plan with either Cox or Qwest.

This of course will vary. I keep my temps very comfortable and some of my apts were on the 3rd floor (more privacy and better views, if any, but hotter in the summer) or a 3 story apt that we had once.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 AM

1,271 posts, read 3,251,742 times
I now think my estimate for electric is conservative (also found some of the other posts with homeowners discussing the same topic), but I would rather have budgeted just a little high and be prepared or pleasantly surprised than be in for a complete shock in a few months. Phone is comparable to where I am now. Gas obviously will be much lower (I know my new community has gas heat and cooking-which I like cooking on gas much better, but was prepared to go electric as many of the units I looked at were all electric.) And I presume the requisite ding for cable will not be hugely different from Ohio (same service provider, Cox)-->which is right around $100 now (just for internet with wireless and basic cable television). I suspicion since Cox is also listed as the phone provider in my community it will be bundled and somewhere under $150-200 a month. My water bill in Ohio averages around $30 a month, and I have budgeted for a huge increase suspecting that will be much higher given that it is technically the desert. So I don't think I will be in for any huge surprises.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:45 AM

3,632 posts, read 11,088,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I now think my estimate for electric is conservative (also found some of the other posts with homeowners discussing the same topic), but I would rather have budgeted just a little high and be prepared or pleasantly surprised than be in for a complete shock in a few months. Phone is comparable to where I am now. Gas obviously will be much lower (I know my new community has gas heat and cooking-which I like cooking on gas much better, but was prepared to go electric as many of the units I looked at were all electric.) And I presume the requisite ding for cable will not be hugely different from Ohio (same service provider, Cox)-->which is right around $100 now (just for internet with wireless and basic cable television). I suspicion since Cox is also listed as the phone provider in my community it will be bundled and somewhere under $150-200 a month. My water bill in Ohio averages around $30 a month, and I have budgeted for a huge increase suspecting that will be much higher given that it is technically the desert. So I don't think I will be in for any huge surprises.
Cox bundled (phone, cable, internet) is $100, plus about $20 for taxes. Is water covered at your complex? I think I only paid water at one complex and it was VERY low, something like $15 or so, but usually the complex pays for that. Water for a home isn't that much. I pay about $80 a month which includes water, garage pick up ($24) and something else, I can't remember. And that's with watering two grass lawns. So, if you do pay for water, it probably won't be more than what your paying now. I think your complex can tell you an estimate for that. It looks like you'll be fine wit your estimates.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:02 AM

91 posts, read 272,763 times
The answer to your question would depend on where that Arizona apartment is. In Phoenix, airconditioning may or may not be included in your apartment rent. If it is, you end up waiting until the landlord decides to turn it on and some wait until the temps get into the 100's, which measn at least two months of being hot, between 90-100 before they turn it on. If you pay on your own, it can run between $100 and $300 a month depending on the size of the apartment and how cool you keep it.

In Flagstaff, it is the gas that will kill you in the winter. Even wit a programmable thermostat that I ran at 62 at night and 65 during the day, my gas bill was about 100 or more a month with the gas water heater (turned down) and the gas heater.

APS charges ALL Arizona customers the same rates, so that means when they raise the rates for Phoenix's summer consumption, Flagstaff residents get socked with the higher rates even though we don't use that much because Flagstaff just doesn't have much AC. Flagstaff residents don't use more electric in the winter much because they typically have gas heaters.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 13,781 times
Am I required to have a phone if I want cable and internet? I use my cell phone for everythign, and would never use my home phone most likley.

I found a good bundle with quest using direct TV, can I have a satalite with an apartment?

Old 08-08-2007, 05:50 PM

550 posts, read 2,297,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJollyRoger View Post
Am I required to have a phone if I want cable and internet? I use my cell phone for everythign, and would never use my home phone most likley.
Nope. We only use our cell phones and don't even have a land-line home phone. We have high-speed broadband internet and TV through Cox for $55/month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJollyRoger View Post
I found a good bundle with quest using direct TV, can I have a satalite with an apartment?
Depends on your rental/lease agreement. Some complexes allow them, some don't. Ask your property manager if you can't find it in your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona