Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 12:31 PM

62 posts, read 458,787 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I am planning a move to AZ and would like some recommendations from those that may know the area better than I....late 20's couple looking for seclusion - will pick up a multi-acre ranch to build a home and studio on. I am an artist and will be working at home, but my wife is in the medical field so we need to be within a reasonable commute from some decent medical facilities (Read: far enough away that we can afford some land, but close enough that it dosn't take two hours for her to get to work). Being close to a variety of OUTDOOR RECREATION opportunities is important as well; hiking with our dogs, rafting/canoeing, cycling on highways. I've always enjoyed the dessert and DON'T MIND THE HEAT. Snow is OK but we're both originally from the midwest and have seen enough cold and snow for our tastes, so would prefer a mild year-round climate, more on teh hot side rather than cold. And looking for a city with some cultural diversity (Boulder/Austin type) where good music and food is not hard to come by, and that is clean and has nice people.....Sounds like paradise! I understand that all these criteria may not be met in one location....but, any recommendations?

I've visited Phoenix many times, as well as Tucson, Mesa, Sedona and Grand Canyon multiple times and have driven most of the interstates in AZ but have't ventured beyond these areas.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2006, 12:44 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,503 times
I'm going to be watching this thread with interest because I think if you're looking for a Boulder/Austin type city you had better look to Colorado/Texas instead of Arizona. Also, I don't know your financial situation but land anywhere near civilization is very expensive.

Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 PM

Thank you for your Reply, Lehi. yes, I agree that land in AZ is looking to be very expensive. I've seen a wide range from less than a thousand an acre to 20k plus...then even more where proposed 'housing developments' are planned. However, I've seen similar price ranges in the Texas Hill country area, for example, which is similar to what I'm looking for - in AZ - (proximety to Austin/recreational opportunities/nice communities/people). I haven't begun to look at Colorado as it's a little too cold for me, plus geographically, Arizona is more ideally situated for me (more convenient to CA/Mexico)...

Old 07-13-2006, 04:17 PM

273 posts, read 1,649,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb5745
Thank you for your Reply, Lehi. yes, I agree that land in AZ is looking to be very expensive. I've seen a wide range from less than a thousand an acre to 20k plus...then even more where proposed 'housing developments' are planned. However, I've seen similar price ranges in the Texas Hill country area, for example, which is similar to what I'm looking for - in AZ - (proximety to Austin/recreational opportunities/nice communities/people). I haven't begun to look at Colorado as it's a little too cold for me, plus geographically, Arizona is more ideally situated for me (more convenient to CA/Mexico)...
Well....I'm just afraid you're not going to find a city in Arizona that meets your criteria. If you have been reading any of the other threads about the Phoenix area, you know what has been said about the lack of a "downtown". Of course there are numerous food choices from 5 star restaurants to mom and pop places. There are places where local bands go and play, you just have to find them. As far as recreation around here goes, unless you enjoy recreating in 100+ degree weather you have to wait until October to go outside - unless you're going to the lake to water ski or something, which to me doesn't sound like much fun in 100+ degree temps either. I'm sure more than one person will disagree with me lol. Any other summer recreation would require a couple hours of driving to the north - or to the two places you wanted to be close to, CA/Mexico. How often do you want to drive that far to get away from the heat? Truthfully, I just don't know of a place in this state that would fit the bill. Prescott has mild weather year around but I don't know about any "cultural diversity". It certainly wouldn't be anything like Boulder or Austin! Flagstaff is a college town so there might be more diversity there but I've never liked Flagstaff so I'm not a good judge. It may be colder in the winter than you want to be too. Hopefully somebody here can help you as I'm not doing a very good job LOL!

Last edited by Lehi; 07-13-2006 at 04:41 PM..

Old 07-13-2006, 09:28 PM

1,207 posts, read 6,278,761 times
I'm not sure where you're reading that land is $20K an acre, but it's not anywhere central Phoenix, and it's certainly not near any cultural mecca.

I'm a realtor (not trying to get your business, I am relocating out of state), so we spend a lot of time looking and investing in land. In Phoenix metro, you might find some horrible land backed to a major road for $100K an acre, but I doubt it. We own land lliterally out in the sticks that is now going for $80K an acre, and that is 25 minutes from the nearest freeway and on dirt roads with no utilities etc. and at least an hour from downtown Phoenix.

Incidentally, you mentioned Austin. we are relocating to Austin hill country and you are not going to get land like you see there, with proximity to the city, for those prices, anywhere near Phoenix. Housing and land is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper in Austin.

I don't know much about it, but you might check out Flagstaff and its surrounding towns...maybe you can find something up there. Good luck.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:59 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
Greetings! I am planning a move to AZ and would like some recommendations from those that may know the area better than I....late 20's couple looking for seclusion - will pick up a multi-acre ranch to build a home and studio on. I am an artist and will be working at home, but my wife is in the medical field so we need to be within a reasonable commute from some decent medical facilities (Read: far enough away that we can afford some land, but close enough that it dosn't take two hours for her to get to work). Being close to a variety of OUTDOOR RECREATION opportunities is important as well; hiking with our dogs, rafting/canoeing, cycling on highways. I've always enjoyed the dessert and DON'T MIND THE HEAT. Snow is OK but we're both originally from the midwest and have seen enough cold and snow for our tastes, so would prefer a mild year-round climate, more on teh hot side rather than cold. And looking for a city with some cultural diversity (Boulder/Austin type) where good music and food is not hard to come by, and that is clean and has nice people.....Sounds like paradise! I understand that all these criteria may not be met in one location....but, any recommendations?

I've visited Phoenix many times, as well as Tucson, Mesa, Sedona and Grand Canyon multiple times and have driven most of the interstates in AZ but have't ventured beyond these areas.

Thank you.

Maybe you should look into Casa Grande. Not my cup of tea but maybe yours. I know it wasn't too expensive last I looked but things have certainly changed here. It won't be cheap if you don't want to drive 2 hrs. Maybe Florence still has some affordable land check that too.

Old 07-15-2006, 06:00 PM

So why do you say to check out Casa Grande or Florence? What do they have to offer that might interest me? Thank you - I've never spent any time in either, so I don't know....I see from the map that they are relatively close to phoenix and Tucson, but may be still far enough away to find affordable land?

Old 07-15-2006, 06:16 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,470,626 times
Quote:
So why do you say to check out Casa Grande or Florence? What do they have to offer that might interest me? Thank you - I've never spent any time in either, so I don't know....I see from the map that they are relatively close to phoenix and Tucson, but may be still far enough away to find affordable land?

I suggested that because what interest you does not interest me. So I said that was not my cup of tea. It does sound like what you may be looking for.

Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700
I suggested that because what interest you does not interest me. So I said that was not my cup of tea. It does sound like what you may be looking for.
Thank you, that was very descriptive.

For anyone else who may have some suggestions, lets say we eliminate my original requirement for a Boulder/Austin type town. How about perhaps some smaller communities that may not have much nightlife, but just has a good mix of nice people? As I've been searching, it seems like the Prescott area would be close to what I'm looking for. Additionally, what do any of you know about the Southeastern area of AZ? A friend on mine suggested I look into this part of the state as there are many recreational opportunities there (beautiful hikes/mountains, etc...). He mentioned Bisbee in particular and as I've searched (online) it looks nice; apparently there's a small artist community in that area and a number of 'eclectic' locals. Any thoughts?

Old 08-01-2006, 01:35 PM

30 posts, read 110,467 times
I live in Chino Valley, AZ. We are 20 miles from Prescott. You might want to look into buying in this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona