Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 10:18 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,186,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post
If you can afford it Sedona that is the way to go... have you looked at Jerome, AZ? This is a great "artsy" community just a tad north of Sedona, it is very unique and has great personality.
It's not north of Sedona (more like SW) and while I personally love Jerome it's certainly not for everyone.

The population of Jerome is only 500 and there are no immenities, not even a grocery store (there is a little convenience store which isn't really that convenient as it's off the beaten track and there is no parking).
Jerome has a very unique population which wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 06:22 AM

3,602 posts, read 7,866,743 times
> Jerome has a very unique population which wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Besides the town is very vertical (it's an old mining town on the side of the mountain).

Expansive views (although in the center of that view is a cement plant), colder and windier than Sedona. A good thing in summer, in winter not so much.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:09 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,485,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stacileigh View Post
If you can afford it Sedona that is the way to go... have you looked at Jerome, AZ? This is a great "artsy" community just a tad north of Sedona, it is very unique and has great personality.
Jerome has NO things like gas stations or grocery stores. My finace and I were there a few weeks ago and the place dont have squat for daily living. Sad cause its pretty there. And the noise from the bikers gets old.

Old 05-13-2011, 08:42 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,756,312 times
I remember about a dozen years ago, shopping at Albertson's and I had my school ID badge on. This lady was talking to me about school, and said she was a school portrait photographer. I wish I could forget conversations like this, but just can't. Anyway, she said the kids in Jerome were filthy for picture day. That's usually not a good sign.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:49 PM

172 posts, read 421,577 times
Jerome. Nice place to take friends/family for sightseeing and a bite to eat when they come out to visit, but don't move there. Seriously. No offense meant to forum members suggesting otherwise. I could go into why, but just don't do it.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM

253 posts, read 1,128,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
..............From reading your posts; taking into consideration you're from the Upper East Side; considering the current economic state of AZ & the US; and most importantly, you will only be in AZ from Dec to April................I would definitely Not buy a 2nd home.........................I would rent a fully furnished, high end home in one of the better sections of Oro Valley or Sedona......which ever seems to fit your desires the best.

This is what I have done for the winter months (up to 5 months) since 2006. I've rented in Sedona (3 different areas); Oro Valley; The Village of Oak Creek; Rimrock; Casa Grande and Mesa. I've also spent some shorter periods of time in Prescott; Tubac; Sonoita; Cottonwood and Green Valley. I've had houses with pools and some not; I've had up to five acres of fenced property. I had one 2 ac place that backed up to County Park Land (great place to run my dog) ; also had one that was on a small 1/3 ac lot in Oro Vlley (that drove me nuts)(I've lived in MT on 14 acs for 32 years,) but being in my later retirement years now, I like my space.

Very recently I rented a beautiful home 3 miles outside of Casa Grande on 5 acres, fenced (I have a dog that travels everywhere with me,) beautifully landscaped and about 3600 sq feet---2 1/2 bath; 3 BR; Liv Rm: Din Rm: Lg Kit:breakfast area; front and rear large patios; extra lg 2 car garage, fruit trees etc. Loved it and I negociated a "package price for 4 months".

Rents for what I find desireable can run anywhere from $2000/mo to $3500/mo, depending on number of people involved, and many other factors......including "how well the rentor "Likes you". Being an out-going, retired, senior, who will only have his dog (totally trained; none barker and sleeps in his travel crate) with him.....they love (the rentor/owner) to rent to be someone like me. ((NOTE: I do not rent from Property Mang'mt people........owners only, and at this time there are many, many (up-scale) homes available.......you just have to find them through various sources of info!!....
Very good post and completely agree!

New Yorkers under 30 plan to flee city, says new poll; cite high taxes, few jobs as reasons

~Cali-girl

Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 AM

15 posts, read 74,311 times
Thanks everyone for your input. It is all helpful. We want a house for the winter months, so Jerome is probably a no. We are willing to do Sedona's winters bc of the Red Rock views.

I need to look into Patagonia. Tubac looks very nice. The area (views) looks pristine, which we like. We don't mind being isolated. What we want is vews of the desert or Red Rocks. We also don't want sprawl, which is why we aren't sure about Sedona. We don't want a townhouse either.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC couple View Post
Thanks everyone for your input. It is all helpful. We want a house for the winter months, so Jerome is probably a no. We are willing to do Sedona's winters bc of the Red Rock views.

I need to look into Patagonia. Tubac looks very nice. The area (views) looks pristine, which we like. We don't mind being isolated. What we want is vews of the desert or Red Rocks. We also don't want sprawl, which is why we aren't sure about Sedona. We don't want a townhouse either.
My friend lives in a gated community in Patagonia and loves the area (it's tiny but beautiful) however their cars have been broken into in their own driveway at night and the gate (of their gated community) has been driven through twice by a pick up truck. It's not unusual for them to have illegal aliens at their back sliding door (and they have a wall around their property). They both have weapons which they feel they need. It's just good to know these things.

All that being said, I don't think they'd move.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,103,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
My friend lives in a gated community in Patagonia and loves the area (it's tiny but beautiful) however their cars have been broken into in their own driveway at night and the gate (of their gated community) has been driven through twice by a pick up truck. It's not unusual for them to have illegal aliens at their back sliding door (and they have a wall around their property). They both have weapons which they feel they need. It's just good to know these things.

All that being said, I don't think they'd move.
..............Hey congrats on the 1000 posts......

Now on the content of your post.............................................. ....

For the last three winters, I've spent a fair amount of time looking at various residential areas and homes in the area from Sonoita south to Patagonia.

I've talked to several residents as well as being "squired" all around that area by some R.E. folks. Also have an acquaintance that lives near Herford. All these folks have had similiar experiences as mentioned in adventuregurl's post.
I looked at one very nice place on 5 acres that had "razor wire" on top of their "wall". ALL of them "carry" ALL the time.

I cannot imagine a couple from NYC even thinking of that area. No question about it being 'a buyers market'. I keep getting R.E. listing updates on about 20 different places I looked at 3 years ago. In some instances the asking price has been reduced by up to 35/40% from what was being asked back in 2007/2008. Yes, its a great area in many ways.......but..................

One quick little story: I had pulled off the highway about 10 miles north of Patagonia, onto to a gravel road and was stopped about 1/2 mile in a small grove of trees. I did this to let my dog out of his crate and run around for about 10 to 15 minutes. In less than 7 or 8 minutes a Border Patrol Unit pulled up to me,,,,,two very poliet officers got out and asked me was everything was OK. I said yes, and we chatted for a few minutes about quail hunting in the area etc. Then one asked if I had any firearm(s) for protection other than the shotgun for bird hunting. I showed them the one I was carrying as well as two others strategicly(sp?) located in the vehicle..............their comment: "smart----very smart thing to do!!!!..............'nuf said.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
..............Hey congrats on the 1000 posts......

. I showed them the one I was carrying as well as two others strategicly(sp?) located in the vehicle..............their comment: "smart----very smart thing to do!!!!..............'nuf said.
Hey, thanks Montana Griz, I just noticed I had 1,000 posts too!

I've been down to visit my friends in Patagonis, alone, and unarmed as I don't have a gun. While there, my friend was trying to talk me into getting a place down there and while it's beautiful I'm single and female so I think I would be concerned about my safety (sadly ).

Also, on my last trip I almost got taken out by a border patrol vehicle that obviously got a call about something pressing and made a few very dangerous manouvers on the 2 lane highwway I was on (I was passing a truck and they decided to pass me at the same time) - there was almost a huge accident and I honestly felt like I could have been killed. When I arrived at my destination my friends told me that kind of thing was usual (I guess when they get a call, they go, no matter who's in their way) so there are more dangers than just the illegals .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona