Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM

8 posts, read 19,224 times

Advertisements

My sister and brother in law lived in Sierra Vista, AZ. Sierra Vista is just basically a military base for citizens for the most part. Enjoyable place to visit, beautiful scenery. I think you and your family would very much enjoy living in Sierra Vista.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 04:10 PM

1 posts, read 3,238 times
Sierra Vista is a military town and very Republican (according to results from last election). You probably won't fit in well here.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:26 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,293,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Galloway View Post
Sierra Vista is a military town and very Republican (according to results from last election). You probably won't fit in well here.
Republicans vary in their degree and type of conservative beliefs

Old 05-21-2011, 06:29 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Galloway View Post
That's nonsense, we re-elected Gabby Giffords. Why would being military mean conservative? Living here I find the only conservatives are the retirees and they grouch about everything anyway

Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM

61 posts, read 137,920 times
Sierra Vista can't technically be described as Liberal. However, I know a LOT of same-sex couples in this area and they don't get bothered by anyone that I've heard of. I can't say their lifestyle is necessarily "accepted" by folks here either, but there's no significant harassment that I've heard of. This is a conservative town, but it's not HYPER-conservative generally speaking. I don't think you'll have issues. Bisbee is far more gay/lesbian friendly, but as others have said it's not a real big town and has little to offer except for their arts and culture and a great night-life.

Someone mentioned the high school here in Sierra Vista. It isn't great. I won't lie. However, if your kids are really good at math and sciences, I know there's a partnership between the college and the high school for something called Running Start, which is a pre-engineering program that brings high school juniors onto the college campus for half their school day to take college-level math and science courses. It's pretty interesting.

Old 06-13-2011, 02:18 PM

11 posts, read 36,936 times
My sister lives in Sierra Vista and my husband grew up there so I am familiar with the area. Even though Sierra Vista isn't a super small town, much of the population comes from the military and that group can stick to themselves. So unless you live on base you will most likely be dealing with the civilian population of Sierra Vista. My niece goes to the high school in SV and based on what she tells me and what I remember from high school in a small AZ town, having gay parents will probably be somewhat difficult for that age group. I think they would feel much more comfortable in Tucson which is pretty liberal for AZ. Several of my friends who grew up in Tucson and still live there are lesbians and it seems like they don't have any big issues. You can still find a chunk of land in Tucson and keep animals. It feels much more like a small town than anywhere in the Phoenix area.

Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,691,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowgill1971 View Post
My Partner and I are moving to AZ and looking for a gay friendly location, with land for horses and ATVs, etc. We have 3 teens( all ages) that are coming along as we have a blended, fostered, adopted family and want them to be comfortable in their new home. We would like acreage and nearby water, hence Sierra Vista? Any ideas on this or another location that might be better?
Thanks,
Michelle
Over toward Bisbee, that's as liberal as you'll get in Arizona. Sierra Vista would be OK but it is very Military.

Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM

2 posts, read 3,926 times
Tucson! I don't know about nearby water, but all your other criteria will be met and expectations exceeded. I've heard that Tucson is called the 'Berkeley of Arizona'. The population is diverse, artistic and liberal. There is a ton of interesting stuff to do whether your tastes run to opera or rockabilly, deviant art or roller derby. There is an active gay community and the University of Arizona. We'd love to have you. Check us out!

Old 09-16-2011, 10:01 AM

3 posts, read 7,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcowgill1971 View Post
My Partner and I are moving to AZ and looking for a gay friendly location, with land for horses and ATVs, etc. We have 3 teens( all ages) that are coming along as we have a blended, fostered, adopted family and want them to be comfortable in their new home. We would like acreage and nearby water, hence Sierra Vista? Any ideas on this or another location that might be better?
Thanks,
Michelle
I moved to Sierra Vista from San Diego 3 1/2 years ago. It's in one of the two liberal counties in AZ. It has a population of about 45,000. It is a military town but the fort here is an intelligence fort so you don't get trainees running around screwing up the place. If you are gay the place to be is Bisbee. It has a pretty big gay pride week and a trailer park that caters to gays and lesbians. Sierra Vista was established in the late 1950's so it does need a little modernization but it's still a pretty good town.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:28 PM

344 posts, read 642,790 times
I live in Sierra Vista and you will have no trouble at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona