U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 8,857 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've been reading the discussions quite often on Yuma, AZ. It seems that any posts pre-2009 were a bit negative about Yuma, but there have been some positive posts more recently. Here is my situation:

I am a 24 year old single white female moving to Yuma for a teaching job. I am not concerned with a personal life or going out much because as a first year teacher, I know I will not have much time on the weekends for activities (and if I do end up having a free weekend, I have family in Phoenix I will most likely go to stay with and visit.)

So my main concern is where to live - although the school I will be teaching at is in Somerton, I have been told that Yuma is larger and it will be easier to find places to live and things to do (shopping and eating wise).

I am of course concerned with safety, as I've lived in a safe-suburb of Chicago my whole life. I'm looking at several apartment complexes and am just wondering if anyone can give me helpful hints as to what parts of town are safe and what is not so safe? Would Somerton be a better choice to live in?

Final question: for travelling purposes, when family comes to visit and/or I fly to Chicago to visit - has anyone found the Yuma airport to be reasonably priced? Or does anyone find it cheaper to drive to Phoenix and fly out from there?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 03:57 PM

287 posts, read 532,498 times
Your description sounds like my daughter, except she is 25. She grew up here, got her teaching degree and came home to live with us for the first 2 years. Now she is renting an apartment a few blocks away. She is happy with her apartment, and feels safe there. I also think she is fine.

There are several apt complexes located along Ave B, on the western end of the city. Most are located between 12th st and 24th street and cater to Military, Teachers and Young families.(My daughter is in one of thesem can't remember the name of the apt) There are other places in town of course, but since Ave B is also Highway 95, it would be an easy commute to Somerton.

I just drove through Somerton a few hours ago. I don't know if they have any apts for rent, but I would be willing to bet you would not be happy there. Very run down in my opinion. Yuma would certainly have more housing options.
You might check out this link:
Apartments.com | Find Apartments for Rent, Houses, Condos and Townhomes | Rental Listings

#1 and 5 are on Ave B.
I would not recommend El Encanto, I have heard from several people that they have had problems with theft from vehicles.

Another one on Ave B :
Lothlorien Apartments, Yuma, AZ : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local

As far as the airport goes, I can't tell you much. I have used it only once. The flight to Phx was 40 min, but by the time you add in the wait time and the parking fees, arranging transportation, etc, it seems easier to me to just drive to Phx.

Curly

Old 05-24-2011, 06:10 AM

709 posts, read 952,710 times
Flying out of Yuma is not practical (IMO), Phoenix and San Diego are each 3 hours distant and offer better pricing and destination options. I prefer San Diego, it's easy to get to, and the change of scenery is very pleasing.
Curly has offered good info on apartment locations, close to shopping, the hospital, and would make a commute to Somerton easier. He has offered an honest opinion on Somerton....IMO.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
tyx

13 posts, read 19,686 times
Jaclyn818, first of all I'm sorry you will be in Yuma but hopefully the time will pass quickly and before you know it your contractual stay will be completed and you'll be able to move on. But in answer to your question there aren't any really 'unsafe' areas of Yuma, just those that are more or less conveniently located to your place of work. Not much to speak of in terms of really great apartments, they are all a little aged. River Park is an 'ok' place add to your list of the above apts and it's across the street from a non-24 hour Walgreens and Walmart. The hassle of trying to fly out of Yuma's dinky 'international' airport where inexplicably cancelled flights to PHX or LAX is equalled by the long, high-mileage drives to Phoenix or San Diego. Alot of fresh Yuman transplants quickly abandon grandiose ideas of frequent jaunts out of the area because this hassle. This trip inertia becomes a real drag after a while, a real wistful listlessness.

Old 05-25-2011, 01:34 AM

12 posts, read 23,474 times
I am in Yuma and there are a couple areas I would avoid but not exactly sure how to identify them. Let's see, in the center of town just east of 4th ave I don't like the feel of at all. There is an older feel in the north part of town but you really just have to drive through. Any realtor that lives here should be honest with you.

Somerton is really growing, but I don't know anything about it really. It's not that far away but still a bit of a drive. If I were getting a job there I would seriously check out what is there.
If I can help somehow, message me.

My daughter lived in El Encanto and it's just up the street from me. It's not bad, and I bet not worse than anyplace else when it comes to outside security. I thought Lothian was low income or something, I really don't know.

I am hoping to buy a short sale soon and will either rent or sell my 2 bedroom condo as soon as I get out of it. I've been here 15 years and really like it a LOT but it's just too small and too far away from the school district we want for next year.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinArizona View Post

My daughter lived in El Encanto and it's just up the street from me. It's not bad, and I bet not worse than anyplace else when it comes to outside security. I thought Lothian was low income or something, I really don't know.
I asked my Daughter what her apt. complex was called, its Lothlorian. It is not a low income complex, there is one further down Ave B, around 18th street. That one is managed by the City of Yuma.

Also, FYI, my daughter wanted a roomate to help cut costs, so she went to Roommate.com, she described it as similar to Myspace, but obviously for roomates. She found another teacher to share the apt. with.

Curly

Old 05-25-2011, 11:20 AM

2 posts, read 8,857 times
Thank you for all the responses! I will be in Yuma the 1st weekend of June to look at apartments, and I will be checking out Lothlorian, River Park, Regency Square, Westbluff Manor, La Mirada Apartments and Terracina Apartments.

Terracina has 2 bedrooms for $558/month, and the management has not gotten back to me - it is on Ave B and 18th street, so according to what some people have said, its a good area, but I'm just not sure how it can be SO cheap for a 2bd/2bth??

I really do appreciate the posts back, it's a big adjustment to move from my suburban home in the Chicagoland area to the desert! But, I am excited for the job opportunity in this tough market for educators. I don't know if it will last me a year or five years, but hopefully Yuma will be "home" while I am there.

Just some small questions for those that have lived for an extended time in Yuma:
-Good suggestion for a gym membership?
-Best restaurants in town?
-I've heard there are some good farmers markets? When do those start?
-Hotel suggestions (for my weekend trip to apartment hunt)?

Thanks again!

Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM

12 posts, read 23,474 times
To answer about prices.. cost of living is lower here. That being said there is a range. The condos I live in will have a rental available Sept 1st and they want 700-750 a month (not sure why they list a range, maybe for pets?) That is for a 3 bed 2 bath unit with an attached double garage, and we have a nice little pool. You can buy a house for that, if you want modest and want to buy but you don't yet.

There are a lot of good resturants.. ask at the hotel lobby and they will give you a list.
Farmer's market isn't until the snowbird season.. fall. Yuma is pretty dead during the summer. Not much going on.
I used to go to 4th Ave Gym .. I like it.
Hotels.. hmm not much experience there, but if you google hotels yuma you will find a LOT and you can tell by looking I think.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 PM

709 posts, read 952,710 times
Almost every major hotel chain has a facility in Yuma...having said that, our favorite in the Best Western, close to the mall, restaurants, but most important, clean, reasonably priced and they have extremely comfortable beds.

LaFonda's would be on my list of best restaurants, HiWay 95 Cafe for Thai cuisine and Stan's for a breakfast burrito to get the day started right.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 05-27-2011, 07:51 PM

Lots of new Hotels in the area, most built in the last few years. You have plenty of choices for older budget hotels as well. The newest ones are near the mall, (Exit 2, Highway 95/16th street area) and the older ones are mostly on 4th ave. Best Western has a good rep, but it is an older motel.

Add Mr G's or Chile pepper to your list of restaurants to try. Chile pepper is near the Hospital, very close to where you will be looking at apts. Both restaurants are Yuma Favorites.

I belong to 4th ave gym. I like it, not a chain, family owned. 24 hr most days. There is also Snap Fitness, Olympic gym and one or 2 other ones. Olympic and Snap are both close to Ave B apartments. Heck, everything is close, Yuma is not that big.

Bring a swimsuit, it will be a warm weekend!

Curly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona