U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:33 PM
Status: "Smiling in wonderful SE Arizona" (set 25 days ago)

15,739 posts, read 13,381,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Someone else mentioned the higher the elevation the cooler the temperature. All true.

There is one other influence. The farther south and east the cooler the temperature. There is a moderating influence from the Sea of Cortes.

That makes Bisbee very cool, and possibly add Nogales and Douglas too.
I don't think the Sea of Cortez moderates the temps very much (at least not in the summer). If it did, Yuma - which is the closest part of the state to the Sea of Cortez - would be the most mild in the summer - and that's FAR from the case. I DO think it moderates the overnight lows in the WINTER (giving Yuma the mildest winter temps).

SE Arizona is more moderate simply because of it's elevation - not because of the Sea of Cortez. SE Arizona is simply higher than SE Arizona.

As I said though, you CAN make a case for the Sea of Cortez moderating the winter lows near Yuma.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 12:55 PM

78 posts, read 132,094 times
Well, yes. Yuma doesn't get the influence because the storms and wind come off the Sea of Cortes to the east, and not towards Yuma in the west. Ajo - not very high - is cooler than Yuma. Nogales is relatively cool for 4000 feet elevation. Sierra Vista stays cooler than, say, Cottonwood, which is a similar elevation. It takes a little examination, but I'm sure you will see a trend.

Old 05-30-2011, 12:58 PM

1,339 posts, read 1,399,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I don't think the Sea of Cortez moderates the temps very much (at least not in the summer). If it did, Yuma - which is the closest part of the state to the Sea of Cortez - would be the most mild in the summer - and that's FAR from the case. I DO think it moderates the overnight lows in the WINTER (giving Yuma the mildest winter temps).

SE Arizona is more moderate simply because of it's elevation - not because of the Sea of Cortez. >>>>>SE Arizona is simply higher than SE Arizona.<<<<<.....Just couldn't miss the opportunity to "rattle your cage"

As I said though, you CAN make a case for the Sea of Cortez moderating the winter lows near Yuma.

Ken
......Hey Ken.............. When the hell are you going to get out of that Seattle area.?.............or has the current weather (spring beautiful Seattle spring) been so good that you know you'll miss it

Old 05-30-2011, 01:25 PM
Status: "Smiling in wonderful SE Arizona" (set 25 days ago)

15,739 posts, read 13,381,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
......Hey Ken.............. When the hell are you going to get out of that Seattle area.?.............or has the current weather (spring beautiful Seattle spring) been so good that you know you'll miss it
GAWD! The spring here has been HORRIBLE.

Sadly though, I'm stuck here for a while because of home values.
It'll be another couple of years or so.

Ken

Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM

351 posts, read 399,618 times
Look for a city in one of the blue areas in this map:

http://uair.arizona.edu/system/files...ge-temp-az.pdf

Old 05-30-2011, 04:32 PM

3,427 posts, read 4,354,449 times
The coolest city in Arizona during the summer would be Flagstaff. High temperatres average in the 70s and 80s during all of the hottest months, and it only reaches the 90s once or twice. Flagstaff has never had a high temperature in the 100s ... in fact, it is one of only a small handful of cities in the U.S. that has never recorded a 100 degree temperature.

As far as towns are concerned, there are many in eastern AZ which are even cooler than Flagstaff. The one that instantly comes to mind is Greer. Low temperatures have dipped below freezing in Greer on occasion in the early summer, and high temperatures rise above 80 degrees only on occasion.

Old 05-30-2011, 04:38 PM

2,092 posts, read 948,846 times
Quote:
Someone else mentioned the higher the elevation the cooler the temperature. All true.

There is one other influence. The farther south and east the cooler the temperature. There is a moderating influence from the Sea of Cortes.

This is going to sound very blunt, but that makes no sense. Its cooler down in the southeast because of the elevation not the sea of cortez.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
This is going to sound very blunt, but that makes no sense. Its cooler down in the southeast because of the elevation not the sea of cortez.
I'm okay with blunt. But, as stated in a previous post the wind and storms come off the Sea of Cortez to the east toward Nogales,
Bisbee and Douglas.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:06 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,063,773 times
Sierra Vista area is around 10 cooler on a given day than Tucson.
Douglas was usually warmer than SV on that same day as was Nogales.
Lived in Cochise county a few different times in my life.

Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:

I'm backing down on this claim. I overlooked night time summer temperatures being warmer in Bisbee, Nogales and Douglas. Sorry, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona