Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2007, 03:37 PM

56 posts, read 263,769 times

Advertisements

I am interested in knowing how many of you have retired to AZ and then left. I would like to know why you left and where did you go?

It seems like the general rule of retirement is that you "must" leave your current home and move to an entirely different part of the country. We did just that. Moved to Phoenix and tried our very best to like it. Yes, the sunny skies are great, beautiful mountains, no snow, etc. But you know what? After trying it all we decided that it wasn't so bad living in MI. I know, I know, the economy is bad here but we are retired and don't have to get into the work force . We actually found it cheaper to live in MI then AZ. We loved "coming home" and feeling like we belonged.

Has anyone else experienced the same?

Last edited by Bridgett; 08-04-2007 at 03:38 PM.. Reason: OOOps Title should have read: From MI to AZ and back to MI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 03:46 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Lots of people think MI is high tax, but MI is great for taxes on retirement pensions. I grew up thereabouts but would never return to live. I guess it's what's home to a person. I've lived in AZ so long that I don't fit in in MI anymore. It looks and feels strange to me now.

I think most people will retire "in place" where they know the turf, but there will be millions of boomers who will seek out the sunny places, too. Good luck to you on your move back.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:11 AM

11 posts, read 41,139 times
What part of MI are you planning on moving to? I moved here it was a year about 3 days ago, and I love the Green and Massive trees. But for me and my Fiance it has been horrible keeping jobs and I dont really like the fact that the winter lasts almost 8 months out of the year. I moved here from Albuquerque NM and I love warm summer nights and dry heat. So I suppose if you are comfortable in MI and dont mind the weather then go where your heart tells you to. I wouldnt reccomend it to somone who want to find work here but if thats not an issue then its just a matter of choice. Good luck to you and I hope you end up somewhere that makes you happy and content.
Chynna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: