Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 PM

45 posts, read 66,886 times

Advertisements

So long story short, due to some recent events and a death in the family I have decided that right now is the time I want to pursue my dream and move across the country.

I have been looking at Phoenix and Tucson. I have no degree, but I plan on going to a community college for 2 years and then transferring to a university. I will also have a job before I get there, I will be budgeting and I will be looking at studios that are about 500-600.

Currently I have 5000 saved up, and an extra 1000 for the first months rent and also groceries for that month. I don't plan on going out a ton or spending a lot, although that is hard to say until I am there, but I have usually been good at saving money.

My question is: Do you believe that a person with this amount of money, a regular job or 2 with no degree, and a pretty good budget can put themselves through school and live better than just meager but not living a playboy lifestyle going out every single night. Also I would like to ask, what place would you recommend between Phoenix and Tucson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 AM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
That budget for an apartment will be hard to find. Also be careful that your decision isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the death. But to your emboldened question, I think that's still going to be difficult, but it really depends on the type of job you can land. I think there's a lot you can do if you budget, but school is expensive and I think the "low cost of living" in Phoenix is overblown. If you aren't really much into going out, then I don't think it matters whether you choose Phoenix or Tucson. If you really meant that you want more amenities, then go for Phoenix. If your ultimate goal is just a better education and you intend to go to community college and university locally, then Tucson, because I believe UA is consistently ranked better than ASU.

Old 01-29-2017, 06:32 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
That budget for an apartment will be hard to find. Also be careful that your decision isn't a knee-jerk reaction to the death. But to your emboldened question, I think that's still going to be difficult, but it really depends on the type of job you can land. I think there's a lot you can do if you budget, but school is expensive and I think the "low cost of living" in Phoenix is overblown. If you aren't really much into going out, then I don't think it matters whether you choose Phoenix or Tucson. If you really meant that you want more amenities, then go for Phoenix. If your ultimate goal is just a better education and you intend to go to community college and university locally, then Tucson, because I believe UA is consistently ranked better than ASU.

A great deal there depends on the field of study, or whose rankings you are looking at. More importantly, the rest of your advice is right on target.

Old 01-29-2017, 10:27 AM

45 posts, read 66,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
I have actually wanted to move for a while. I was working in Yellowstone last year and planned to move to Tucson after because of the low apartment costs. In your opinion do you think it is possible to put yourself through school with the amount of money I have said and having a job before arrival? In either city

Old 01-29-2017, 01:39 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,192,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
I have actually wanted to move for a while. I was working in Yellowstone last year and planned to move to Tucson after because of the low apartment costs. In your opinion do you think it is possible to put yourself through school with the amount of money I have said and having a job before arrival? In either city
No, I don't think it's enough, especially when you move on to a university, unless you plan on taking out student loans. That really depends on the kind of job you find though, but just keep in mind that overall wages/salaries in Arizona aren't enviable, and cost of living is rising noticeably. For example, I have to find a temporary new apartment because my current place is increasing in price nearly 40%. I make more than the average individual, don't have tuition or debt, and even then it feels like it's not enough, so I can't imagine how much harder it would be to have that extra expense. I'm really not very familiar with Tucson aside from that it lacks a lot of what Phoenix has.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:52 PM

1,632 posts, read 6,843,896 times
I agree with this, and I think that overall, the two universities are comparable. One other thing to consider is job opportunities, which tend to be at least a little better in the Phoenix area (again, depending on which field of work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
A great deal there depends on the field of study, or whose rankings you are looking at. More importantly, the rest of your advice is right on target.

Old 01-29-2017, 02:57 PM

3,532 posts, read 3,022,082 times
You have to be a resident for a year to qualify for resident tuition rates at most state schools. I think you can do it if you're disciplined enough to work hard and take care of your business without needing any family guidance. If you want to go, I think it's better to do it when you're young and aren't tied down with possessions and obligations.

Old 01-30-2017, 12:14 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
To the OP - have you been to either place before? HUGE difference between Yellowstone and AZ. Especially in temperature.

It gets REALLY hot here. I mean too hot to be outside without AC for more than about 20 minutes at a time hot. Wearing BBQ mitts to drive your car hot! Tucsonifornia is a little cooler than Phoenix.

Some of your choices may depend upon which universities the CC feeds into. Like where I live in Mohave County the community college, if your grades are above a certain level you are guaranteed entry into NAU (I'm not sure about other state universities, you would need to investigate that).

California has a similar program. Certain community colleges feed directly into specific state universities. Like San Diego Comm College you are guaranteed a slot at SDSU, which is a tier one university. California may be a better option for you even though the COL is higher you can get Cal-Grants, plus about a $2,000 a year "Smart Grant" that can pretty much cover all tuition costs. But of course a small, cheap apt is $1,800 a month...

Old 01-30-2017, 01:14 AM

1,995 posts, read 2,078,011 times
The general rule when moving to a new area without a job is have enough saved for 6 months of expenses. Not sure what your job is that you already have it lined up, but that's a huge bonus. Both cities have community colleges and universities. IMO I would pick the city you are going to try to go to the university in (if you know one is better than the other). Minimum wage just went up a month ago to $10 an hour, and will be going up 50 cents each year for the next two and a dollar for one year after that (IIRC, and if that matters). $500 studio, +$40 water/sewer/trash, +$100 for electricity, +$40 cell phone, +$20 for laundry, +$40 for internet, +$100 for car insurance, (adjust where needed) but that =$840 + food ($200-$400-I hope you can cook for yourself), gas, car payment if you have one.

When you move to this new area, and don't have 2 months of pay stubs, they are going to want you to pay for more your apt deposit, so you could be up to a month or two extra to move in, you have utilities that will want deposits. That might tie up $1k-$2k for move in costs (that you will get back when its time to move). You are either going to pay for a moving truck, or going to need to buy ALL SORTS OF STUFF, like FURNITURE, towels, kitchen stuff, cups, plates, condiments, shower stuff, etc, etc, etc,.... it all adds up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey2125 View Post
and live better than just meager but not living a playboy lifestyle going out every single night.
This is the part that would concern me about whether or not you should move at all. Not sure where you are from but we are one of the largest cities in the country. There is MORE THAN ENOUGH to do. It depends on what you are talking about here. If you were moving to a new area without a job and expecting to go out and party it up, and go to school, I would say not only is it not probable, but you should have better priorities.

IMO if you are an outdoorsy, exercising, healthy, get out and go, adventure type of person, there is MORE THAN ENOUGH to keep you engaged. If you plan on coming out here to go to school, work, party.. sure its possible, but that is a lot to put on anyone's plate, and you might want to reevaluate some things first.

IMO, $5k will be tight. If you don't have a job right away, and can't, not go out partying no more than once a month, and don't have a backup plan, then you can't afford it.

If you are going to school, I sure hope you have your fafsa/grants/loans all squared away.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:42 AM

22 posts, read 117,982 times
Have you looked at any of the Jr. Colleges for a two year degree? I attended Arizona Western in Yuma back in the 70's and received a good education that cost about 20% of going to a major university. After receiving my two year degree I transferred to a four year University to obtain a Bachelors degree. I actually carried 15-17 credit hours and worked full time and saved money while in Yuma. The Jr. college system in Arizona is a great program that other states should put more emphases on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona