U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:12 AM

5 posts, read 66,481 times
Default U turn laws in AZ?

What is the law on U turns?
I've just moved here, getting different opinions from people about legality of u turns. Some people say it is legal as long as there is not a "No U turn" sign.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:29 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,970,902 times
For questions like this, your best bet is the actual law and the MVD, rather than opinions on an internet forum.

http://mvd.azdot.gov/mvd/formsandpub...rmInfoKey=1420

http://www.azleg.gov/FormatDocument....28&DocType=ARS

Old 06-07-2011, 08:56 AM

thanks, but I'd already found both of those resources and they do not provide a clear answer. A search of the manual only has two (unhelpful) references to U-turns.

The second one says where you cannot make a u turn. Does not say where you can, which just leaves it open to interpretation.

28-752. Limitations on turning around
A person shall not turn a vehicle to proceed in the opposite direction on a curve or on the approach to or near the crest of a grade if the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:06 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,970,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince2011 View Post
thanks, but I'd already found both of those resources and they do not provide a clear answer. A search of the manual only has two (unhelpful) references to U-turns.
Well, it doesn't appear to be open to interpretation. Here's an excerpt of the relevant section immediately preceding the reference listed above.
28-751. Required position and method of turning
The driver of a vehicle intending to turn shall do so as follows:
3. The director or local authorities in their respective jurisdictions may cause markers, buttons or signs to be placed and may require and direct that a different course from that specified in this section be traveled by vehicles turning at an intersection. When markers, buttons or signs are so placed, a driver of a vehicle shall not turn a vehicle other than as directed and required by the markers, buttons or signs.
4. Two-way left turn lanes. If a special lane for making left turns by drivers proceeding in opposite directions has been indicated by official traffic control devices:
(b) A driver shall not drive a vehicle in the lane except if preparing for or making a left turn from or into the roadway or if preparing for or making a u-turn if otherwise permitted by law.
As long as you don't violate these laws (including the one listed previously), and the turn is safe, it's not prohibited unless there's a sign indicating "no U turn."

Old 06-07-2011, 09:36 AM

434 posts, read 591,974 times
You can u-turn pretty much anywhere unless it's explicitly prohibited by a sign or creates a safety hazard. I remember reading something in the paper about it a few years ago. It's weird too, because you'll do it sometimes thinking "This should be illegal" but it's really not.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:56 PM

354 posts, read 732,023 times
You can make a U turn even when the traffic light is RED as long as you do not enter the intersection.
The only problem is that a lot of cops don't know the rule. But you can always beat the ticket if you get one.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM

Actually, when I was researching this last week I came across a post by a guy who did just that, got a ticket, and was trying to fight it.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:06 AM

OK thanks for the responses. I guess it is safe to interpret the lack of information to mean that U-turns are generally allowed. I was expecting to find info in the driver's manual similar to what I found when I was in NY for a while. They clearly lay out guidelines regarding u-turns. Here is an excerpt:

[mod cut-- what is in the NY driver's manual is not germane to a discussion of Arizona traffic laws]

Last edited by observer53; 06-08-2011 at 11:52 AM..

Old 06-08-2011, 11:48 AM

434 posts, read 591,974 times
[mod cut-- response to deleted portion of post]
U-turning right in front of an intersection would like fall under restricted per ARS 28-752: "if the vehicle cannot be seen by the driver of any other vehicle approaching from either direction within five hundred feet." So if a vehicle has the right of way with the traffic signal in turning (right or left), they wouldn't be able to see you turning around in the middle of the intersection.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:20 PM

I was at an intersection today when I decided to make a u turn. I was on a divided road with two lanes in each direction. When my light turned green and I was about to make the u turn, I noticed that in the road to my left there was a car stopped, turn signal on, preparing to make a right on red, which would put both of us in the same lane at the same time. So I decided to wait until they had completed their move. The driver was a bit sheepish, was waiting and looking even though the road was clear for her right on red. And she was completely unaware of me and my intention to u turn.

The car behind me did not know I why I was waiting, thinking I was only going to make a left turn, and blew their horn at me. I just made the regular left, rather than push the situation.

Would I have been within my rights (and within the bounds of common courtesy) to wait there until that car had made its right on red?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona