Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 12:16 PM

211 posts, read 641,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
No one has mentioned it yet but you may want to consider the climate. It will be substantially different than where you are living now. No need to travell all the way south to experience it. Just stick your head in a warm oven and imagine it all over your body. That's about what you'll experience during the summer months. Sure it's dry heat as the locals will tell you but 120 degrees is still 120 degrees. You may want to reconsider completey severing your roots in Montana until you've lived at least one year in Phoenix.
Good point. For me, this is how it went...

YEAR 1: Winter = Oh wow. This is awesome. I'm wearing shorts! Summer = It *is* a dry heat! This is awesome!
YEAR 2: W = A nice break from the heat. S = Feels a bit hotter, but still novel.
YEAR 3: W = I spotted frost on my windshield in the shade (did not need to scrape). S = Wait a minute... 120 w/ no humidity is just as hot as 95 w/ humidty.
YEAR 4: W = 50 is pretty chilly. I need a jacket. S = How long 'til it cools off again?
YEAR 5: W = 50 is d*mn cold, but it isn't! S = Ugh. I need to move.

That's just how it's gone for this midwestern boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2006, 10:54 AM

113 posts, read 524,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR1665 View Post
Good point. For me, this is how it went...

YEAR 1: Winter = Oh wow. This is awesome. I'm wearing shorts! Summer = It *is* a dry heat! This is awesome!
YEAR 2: W = A nice break from the heat. S = Feels a bit hotter, but still novel.
YEAR 3: W = I spotted frost on my windshield in the shade (did not need to scrape). S = Wait a minute... 120 w/ no humidity is just as hot as 95 w/ humidty.
YEAR 4: W = 50 is pretty chilly. I need a jacket. S = How long 'til it cools off again?
YEAR 5: W = 50 is d*mn cold, but it isn't! S = Ugh. I need to move.

That's just how it's gone for this midwestern boy.
Im from the midwest, and after living in that frozen wasteland for 7 months out of every year I look at the hot summers here as a small price to pay.

Yes 50 is cold. Its super hot in the summer, but Ill gladly take 115 for a couple months (115 is high, more like 105 average) over subzero and freezing temperatures for half the year if not more. I remember going back east last Christmas, to visit with family, and I stayed thru new years. It was like -11 new years eve night. Being a 5 year Arizonan, I was frozen solid. This also brought back memories of driving with one finger (in the cold, hmm I do that in the heat here sometimes ;-) -- and what its like scraping 1/2 inch of ice off of your doors and windshield for 30 minutes before even being able to get into your car and start it -- Im sure you know about this one. I almost kissed the ground when I got back home to 70 degrees.

When Im feeling the heat, usually a weekend trip to Flagstaff or out to San Diego makes me forget all about it.

There are little perks and irks wherever you go. IMO, there are more perks here. Im not necessarily going to move out of somewhere just because of the weather. It can be a major factor, as it was for myself moving here to Arizona, but it most definately wasnt the only reason. If I enjoyed things back east enough, I would probably still be there freezing.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:01 PM

211 posts, read 641,210 times
I hear ya. The heat is no reason to dismiss Phoenix. Ironically, the heat is pretty cool. It can just exacerbate an already crummy day. I can recall many a time just parked on the 101 or I-17 when it was pushing 100* outside and I was just sitting there with the windows down and the AC off, just thinking to myself how cool it was that I was actually comfortable in the heat.

One of the reasons why I'm finding it hard to figure out where I would go if I left Phoenix is my desire to avoid humidity as much as possible. I have four or five friends in Houston telling me about how cool it is down there and I could, no doubt, do very well for myself in Houston, but the humidity just takes it right of the list.

If every day in Phoenix was like today, it would end up the largest city in North America within a decade... maybe less! 90* in Phoenix is heavenly.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:56 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Default beeser speaks the truth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
No one has mentioned it yet but you may want to consider the climate. It will be substantially different than where you are living now. No need to travell all the way south to experience it. Just stick your head in a warm oven and imagine it all over your body. That's about what you'll experience during the summer months. Sure it's dry heat as the locals will tell you but 120 degrees is still 120 degrees. You may want to reconsider completey severing your roots in Montana until you've lived at least one year in Phoenix.
If you experience a summer in Phoenix, you will know what hell is like!

Old 09-21-2006, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
If you experience a summer in Phoenix, you will know what hell is like!
I really want to know if all these people that complain about the heat realize they live in the desert.

It gets hot in the desert. You have obviously found that out by now, and you knew that when you moved here. I dont understand.

Living in the heat and the desert doesnt make Phoenix a horrible place, just as the cold doesnt make back east a horrible place. I lived in the cold, dealt with it, but life was not enjoyable there (not just because of the cold) so I left.

Back to the old saying, "cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!" Its all relative, and is what you make it.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:20 PM

702 posts, read 3,152,299 times
Default I'm Just Trying To Help Others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azrider View Post
I really want to know if all these people that complain about the heat realize they live in the desert.

It gets hot in the desert. You have obviously found that out by now, and you knew that when you moved here. I dont understand.

Living in the heat and the desert doesnt make Phoenix a horrible place, just as the cold doesnt make back east a horrible place. I lived in the cold, dealt with it, but life was not enjoyable there (not just because of the cold) so I left.

Back to the old saying, "cant stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen!" Its all relative, and is what you make it.
I'm Just trying to help others who don't really have to live here. They may be mislead just like I was. I had to live here for 20 years due to job and family commitments! BUT, if you don't have to live here there are many other places to consider. People are too often mislead because the residents don't want to admit that they made a mistake. I didn't have a choice because of my career but I don't want other good people who have choices to be lead into believing that the summers are not that bad! 115-120 is hot and if you don't HAVE to be here then you should be told the truth. For God Sake, tell the people that hot is hot! Tell them to visit in the middle of summer and then decide, but don't make the summers out to be mild. Why mislead someone? I did my 20 years here and know what I am talking about. I want to tell people the truth. My wife and I will soon be without the commitments that required us to live here and we are looking elsewhere. That is why we are forum members. We hope that no one attempts to mislead us when we ask a question about a community. We are supposed to be here to inform and tell the truth. If we made a mistake, we should be frank enough to admit it. Would I live here if I had a choice? I guess you already know the answer to that one! I speak the truth and do not attempt to mislead people into thinking that the summers are not that bad. They should know what they are getting into. If you like to live in an oven then the summers are OK! Now, that's the truth!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I'm Just trying to help others who don't really have to live here. They may be mislead just like I was. For God Sake, tell the people that hot is hot! Tell them to visit in the middle of summer and then decide, but don't make the summers out to be mild. Why mislead someone?
I agree with you totally here. The problem I have is the number of people on this site that over-dramatize everything. Any half informed idiot should know that 110 degrees is hot. They should know that this is the desert. They should ABSOLUTELY visit first. I visited 3 times before I came. But to totally overblow something is where it gets out of line.

Quote:
That is why we are forum members. We hope that no one attempts to mislead us when we ask a question about a community. We are supposed to be here to inform and tell the truth. If we made a mistake, we should be frank enough to admit it. Would I live here if I had a choice? I guess you already know the answer to that one! I speak the truth and do not attempt to mislead people into thinking that the summers are not that bad. They should know what they are getting into. If you like to live in an oven then the summers are OK! Now, that's the truth!
Again, I agree with you. The truth should definately be spoken. The idea here is to give the facts, in a real and un-biased manner. Im not trying to say the summers are not hot. Im not trying to mislead anyone. Again, there are so many things that are blown waay out of porportion here that it is ridiculous. Many things, like the heat are obvious. Its a common sense thing. The truth should absolutely be spoken, however it should not be spoken in such a manner as to exaggerate, sugar-coat, or stretch the facts to the point that they are misleading. Like your previous post: "If you want to find out how hot hell is, move to Phoenix" or something like that. Phoenix is hot, but it is not hell. It is not an oven. It is a desert. Deserts are hot. If you live elswhere and watch the weather channel you will find this out. If someone expects 110 degrees to feel good all day they are an idiot.

Bottom line is, facts are facts.
This is a fact: It is 110 degrees outside today. Its hot.
This is not: OMG, it is soooo hot here!! I can see the water boiling in my pool! Its 111, its pure hell!!!!!
Exaggerations become annoying quickly. I have to call them out.

This goes to another common sense thing. If you cant enjoy life wherever you are, then make an informed plan to change things no matter what it takes!!! No one can tell me that a job, house, or whatever is holding them somewhere! Homes and jobs are all over the country!

Hopefully I made my point.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:39 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,271,330 times
You both have made your points. Many times. They're equally valid. Now move on, please?

Old 09-22-2006, 11:27 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Phoenix is a big place. There are parts of the city that would have higher crime rates and others where crime (violent) is unheard of. Scottsdale has it's lesser parts too - south. In general, North, Northeast and Northwest parts of Phoenix proper are the newest, safest and most expensive. The west-central part of Phoenix from about 99th Avenue east and north of 1-10 is all pretty much a lower income, older area that is in transition as is the south-central area. Far southwest Phoenix (Below Southern Ave and west of 67th Ave is pretty much new homes and low crime. But prices are low there with more starter homes. Eventually, this area will decline as the people move on and more rentals appear. It has happened all over the area. I've lived here for 35 years and I would not go back into the nice neighborhoods that I once called home.

Keep in mind, too, that Phx is just the largest city in a massive metro area. Other places are Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear, Chandler, Queen Creek, Peoria, Glendale, and more. As a rule, the edges of the metro area are both newer and safer. If you move into any of these places, you will be safe in your person. Somebody might break into your house while you are out, but even that is rare and violent crime is just not part of the life in these areas. Forget about the crime stats, you see. It is highly concentrated in certain parts of the city.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:39 PM

226 posts, read 999,697 times
I'v lived in Phoenix for almost 21 years. When we first moved to Phoenix I thought it was wonderful. Summer didn't really bother me, I felt safe, loved the winter months and mountains. We could afford to live here.

NOW....
I CAN'T WAIT TO LEAVE. Three years and I'm out of here. Summers keep getting hotter and more humid. I won't leave my house after 10 to go shopping or even to run to the store for a soda. They still haven't caught the serial rapist and we have 3,000 illegal crossing into az every day. Phoenix is now at 51% non-white. Hope you know spanish..... We have 3.5 million people just in Phoenix and growing every day. Winter driving is crazy, the "snowbirds" are here and make driving nuts around town.

I live in Paradise Valley in a very nice neighborhood. We bought our 1890 sq. foot home 8 years ago for 142,000. Last month we refinanced and the appraisal came back for 390,000. Good for us, big profits. Bad for my 21 year old daughter looking for a place to buy and new people moving into the valley.

I think in the next 5 years Phoenix will be the next California.... So if you like gangs, crime, high cost of living, low income jobs, drugs, serial rapist running crazy in your town. Move to Phoenix.

I wouldn't move here or recommend anyone else. Yes, we have really nice places to live. Fountain Hills is GREAT, but you better make $$$ to live there.
I don't think you could get a home for under 500,000 unless it was a condo.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona