Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,237,795 times

Advertisements

The cold weather certainly doesn't cause the medical condition of arthritis. Might it increase the symptom level (aches and pains) in some of those who already have it? Yes. But it is preposterous to suggest that living in a warm climate keeps someone from getting arthritis. There are plenty of arthritic Phoenix natives around to disprove that theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,136,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
A greater number who have responded are retired. The OP should understand the age bias in the replies. No need to confuse the OP any more than necessary
The o/p is not confused. They simply disagree with you. As do I. I'm not retirement age, and I enjoy living here. You don't even live here, yet you have some stake in bashing the area using whatever feeble arguments you can muster. I think that says it all.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM

339 posts, read 830,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The cold weather certainly doesn't cause the medical condition of arthritis. Might it increase the symptom level (aches and pains) in some of those who already have it? Yes. But it is preposterous to suggest that living in a warm climate keeps someone from getting arthritis. There are plenty of arthritic Phoenix natives around to disprove that theory.
LOL That's what I meant, is causes arthrisis to get worse when the cold and dampness gets into your bones.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:19 PM

23 posts, read 144,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsinore View Post
It seems that the low elevation areas, particulary Mohave County have consistent temperatures well over 100 degrees in the summer. Do most people just hibernate inside with the AC. I would think that those temperatures would make a home pool too hot to swim in, and it would fee more like a hot-tub instead of a pool. I don't know the answer, so that is why I would like some ideas from year around residents.
thick canopy with mister system that rolls out over the swimming pool.
aerater in the swimming pool keeps the water cool.

things I wish someone had told me before I moved to Az:

1. A scorpion's sting doesn't necessarily mean instant death, it is only slightly worse than a bee sting.

2. Don't wear chunky metal jewelry in the summer.

3. Don't wear sandals with metal anything in the summer and especially don't wear them outside to the pool and then slip them back on when getting out of the pool.

4. Get a steering wheel cover or keep oven mitts in the glove box for driving in the summer. Also, black leather seats are not cool.

5. Get a keychain compass because everyone gives directions based on N, S, E, W.... not left/right.

6. In the summer, metal is the enemy and parking lots are the battlefields. They are full of moving branding irons being operated by geriatric drivers. Beware of shopping carts, they look innocent but they have a painful burn in "store" for you.

7. That great big solid-looking brown wall moving fast towards the city is called a dust storm, don't panic, it's really just a bunch of dust and wind and they only last a few minutes but you will get a lot of dust in your eyes if you're outside without anything to protect them.

8. The "monsoon" season, normally from mid-july to september brings us a thunderstorm just about every evening but the actual rainfall of all those storms totaled together is roughly 10-15 raindrops. Expect a traffic accident at just about every intersection if a drop of water hits the pavement. If it actually rains for more than 10 minutes, expect the roads to be flooded as well.

9. There can be a downpour of rain across the street but that doesn't mean a drop will hit your side.

10. You will get pulled over for traffic violations even if you have AZ plates and you will rarely get just a warning but you can take pride knowing you contributed to our beautifully landscaped cities. There is no appreciation for creative driving skills and the traffic signs are not just suggestions.

11. Living in Arizona is like being at Grandma's house all the time so forget about having any wild parties or freaky public sex. Get used to going to bed at 9pm because the only places open after that is Jack in the Box and Jail and the food isn't worth waiting in line at either.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:11 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PaperMoon~ View Post
LOL That's what I meant, is causes arthrisis to get worse when the cold and dampness gets into your bones.

It doesn't GET worse (X rays won't look any different) but the symptoms can FEEL worse (or you have symptoms in cold weather and don't have them at all in warm weather)

Old 07-19-2011, 04:58 PM

24 posts, read 68,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler-ana View Post
thick canopy with mister system that rolls out over the swimming pool.
aerater in the swimming pool keeps the water cool.

things I wish someone had told me before I moved to Az:

1. A scorpion's sting doesn't necessarily mean instant death, it is only slightly worse than a bee sting.

2. Don't wear chunky metal jewelry in the summer.

3. Don't wear sandals with metal anything in the summer and especially don't wear them outside to the pool and then slip them back on when getting out of the pool.

4. Get a steering wheel cover or keep oven mitts in the glove box for driving in the summer. Also, black leather seats are not cool.

5. Get a keychain compass because everyone gives directions based on N, S, E, W.... not left/right.

6. In the summer, metal is the enemy and parking lots are the battlefields. They are full of moving branding irons being operated by geriatric drivers. Beware of shopping carts, they look innocent but they have a painful burn in "store" for you.

7. That great big solid-looking brown wall moving fast towards the city is called a dust storm, don't panic, it's really just a bunch of dust and wind and they only last a few minutes but you will get a lot of dust in your eyes if you're outside without anything to protect them.

8. The "monsoon" season, normally from mid-july to september brings us a thunderstorm just about every evening but the actual rainfall of all those storms totaled together is roughly 10-15 raindrops. Expect a traffic accident at just about every intersection if a drop of water hits the pavement. If it actually rains for more than 10 minutes, expect the roads to be flooded as well.

9. There can be a downpour of rain across the street but that doesn't mean a drop will hit your side.

10. You will get pulled over for traffic violations even if you have AZ plates and you will rarely get just a warning but you can take pride knowing you contributed to our beautifully landscaped cities. There is no appreciation for creative driving skills and the traffic signs are not just suggestions.

11. Living in Arizona is like being at Grandma's house all the time so forget about having any wild parties or freaky public sex. Get used to going to bed at 9pm because the only places open after that is Jack in the Box and Jail and the food isn't worth waiting in line at either.

Awesome - thanks for the info. We are moving in Sept.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Your constant bashing on the Az forums is hilarious. And I can only agree with one sentence of yours (obivous guess as to which one). Enjoy your deary weather in Seattle, I rather take chances with our sunny and near perfect weather. At least I can wake up and know that I start the day off great with an astounding sun rise. Oh yeah and before you retaliate only part of the state is actually that green. Go ahead look at a map of Washington, you live in the green half, why don't you take a vacation to the Western half, the sun will do you some good.
Average_precipitation_in_the_lower_48_states_of_th e_USA.png (image)
And at least volcanos, earthquakes, and tusnamis are the least of my worries. Good luck on insurance. Oh yeah and have fun in Seattle. Enjoy life there, it'd really suck if somehow you start hating it there too.

But back to what the OP mentioned. Dealing with the 100+ degree days aren't as bad as one would expect. It's a matter of knowing what your body can handle and what it can't. Limit exercise to mornings or evenings, drink lots of water, and if you can't stand being inside go out and swim or an air conditioned mall or one of the many thousand things you can do staying cool. And this really only lasts 3-4 months, other than that the weather is near perfect the rest of the 8-9 months.

I live in Seattle and let me tell you - its sooo wet, depressing and cold. Im inside all the time b/c of the rain. I would rather be inside and see blue skies then be inside and see dark rain clouds. We are moving to Arizona and Im thrilled to get out of lame ass Seattle.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlecoming View Post
You apparently have not been to western Washington this time of the year. Summer brings some of the clearest skies and least amount of overcast or rainy conditions in this part of the world. Afternoon temperatures are in the 70s and 80s- can't beat that. Each person has his-her own individual preference. As for me I'll gladly take Washington's drizzly gloomy climate in the winter over your nearly 12 months of suffocatingly dry rainless drought climate and the 5-6 months of searing heat on top of it.

Im sorry but this is not true. I dont want to add fuel to the fire about what State is better (to each their own) but so far we have had ONE day reach 80 degrees and we are highs are around high 60's. Its cold wet and raining almost everyday. I cant remember the last time I saw blue sky. We might hit 70 this weekend - fingers crossed.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:23 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,390,784 times
100 degrees in Arizona is nothing during the summer. When you don't have humidity......shade is effective, with humidity, shade is worthless.

Old 07-20-2011, 02:10 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,008,569 times
In 50 years of Desert Living [Las Vegas] I have NEVER once had to shovel heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona