Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 06:41 PM

923 posts, read 1,422,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
we have many critters coming in the with the monsoons...sonoran toads...bad for my dogs, but a cat would be toast, and I saw my first wild tarantula..big as they come.....
The Sonoran Toad doesn't get much attention but I'm glad you mentioned it. They're out now, I've been hearing them at night. Like you said, a curious cat would be in real trouble if he/she messed with it. I'm posting a link so you can learn a bit more about them, be sure to read the comments section.

Sonoran Desert Toad (Bufo alvarius)

Old 07-26-2011, 02:05 AM

42 posts, read 161,251 times
We've been here 10mths and I decided our once outdoor cat is now indoors, he seems quite happy. The issue of the toad was the final nail in the decision to keep him indoors. My vets had seen a couple of small dogs die very recently from ingesting the poison. My cat used to love playing with harmless European frogs in the garden, so there is NO way I am chancing this one.
My vet also mentioned even if you take the hawks/coyotes out of the picture, cats here tend to get into trouble when it heats up, they go funny places to seek shade and that's where they often end up in trouble.
In our case, as I say it was the toad that made me think no, ours is staying in! I've also heard some unsavoury stories about people's attitudes to cats here, so I am playing safe with him.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM

15,370 posts, read 38,977,348 times
Cats can NOT go out in the desert, they become little pieces of CAT JERKY....just tell em that, they'll stay in

Yeh right

Old 07-28-2011, 05:39 PM

24 posts, read 67,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2 View Post
We've been here 10mths and I decided our once outdoor cat is now indoors, he seems quite happy. The issue of the toad was the final nail in the decision to keep him indoors. My vets had seen a couple of small dogs die very recently from ingesting the poison. My cat used to love playing with harmless European frogs in the garden, so there is NO way I am chancing this one.
My vet also mentioned even if you take the hawks/coyotes out of the picture, cats here tend to get into trouble when it heats up, they go funny places to seek shade and that's where they often end up in trouble.
In our case, as I say it was the toad that made me think no, ours is staying in! I've also heard some unsavoury stories about people's attitudes to cats here, so I am playing safe with him.

Thanks good point about the shade. NO idea what the toads are - will have to google it.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 2,500 times
Well, I moved here from Western Washington State about 3 years ago. I'm around the Kingman area, but not directly in town, so we do get Coyotes and such here, we hear them in the field across from our house some nights. However, I "inherited" my son's 17 lb neutered jelicle (tuxedo tom) who is pretty laid back. He's always been an indoor/outdoor, and when I first moved, I kept him in so he got used to the climate. It wasn't long before he wanted to go out and check "his territory" out though.

I tend to make it a routine of calling him into the house in the evening, giving him a can of food (in addition to his kibble and bowl of fresh water) and for the most part he has had his fill of outside for the day. He's been known to stay indoors on hot days, lounging in front of the fan on the floor (far enough away from it that it doesn't ruffle his fur, which seems to irritate him) but not always and so far, he's been smart enough to know what stuff to stay away from, and come inside when the coyotes are roaming.

Moderator cut: off topic My cat wanders a *little*, but mostly stays close to home or follows me around when I'm outside - he's been called "my little fuzzy black and white dog with the long tail" by an elderly neighbor gentleman of mine who gets a kick out of watching the cat walk at my heels when I got to check the mail or such.

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 08-03-2011 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 08-10-2013, 02:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I don't think it's ever wise or safe to let cats outside unless you have a screened in porch. You could enclose a portion of your patio to make it safer for them - a "catio" of sorts.
actually i had 2 outdoor cats and 1 ran away because he didnt like the other but the other is still alive and its one year since the other left. i think its ok to have outdoor cats but at night i lock him in an outdoor big dog cage with toys and blankets in the winter.

Last edited by observer53; 08-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.. Reason: fixed broken quote tag

Old 08-10-2013, 02:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,529 times
if i were you in the spring days when he might spend the night out i would call his name and feed him and lock him up in a big dog cage for the night.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM

551 posts, read 1,582,623 times
I've lived in the desert almost all my life. We never lost a cat when I was a kid, but I've lost two cats during my 30+ years of married life. One cat was killed by a coyote and the second cat was probably killed by a Bobcat (confirmed by the ER vet).

I always keep my cat inside the house at night. He came to us as an indoor/outdoor cat so I had no choice. We tried keeping him in, but he wasn't happy. Every night though I bring him in before dark.

If you want to keep your cat safe and healthy I would suggest keeping him indoors or setting up a kitty pen.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:32 PM

861 posts, read 2,181,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesmoses View Post
She is a nice cat, buy she hisses at old ladies, and strangers.
Soooo...I hiss at old ladies and strangers....

Not really, sneer at them maybe but dont hiss...

well...maybe if thier comedy routine stinks...then maybe a little hissing and booing....

Old 08-10-2013, 06:45 PM

1,373 posts, read 2,946,522 times
What a selfish question to ask. Has it occured to you that if people don't own cats then they don't want cats in their yards? Why on earth should I have your cat peeing on my lawn & chasing away the birds & just being an eyesore. I didn't buy cats because I hate cats.

Would you be happy if you woke up one day & I was just chilling on your lawn? Probably not! In the same way I do not want to get up to your cat on my lawn. It''s YOUR pet & I want none of it

Keep your cats in doors or else ....

Has it ever occured to you that your cat might be a burden to other people or do you not care?

Last edited by angrymillionaire; 08-10-2013 at 07:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona