U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 03:43 PM

4,631 posts, read 7,192,146 times

Advertisements

With the recent surge of states that have been raising their speed limits (including Texas which will soon allow 85 mph speed limits on the most rural highways), I was wondering, would you support a raise of the Arizona state speed limit to 80 mph?

Personally, I think an 80 mph raise would actually be a good idea. I would raise the speed limit to 80 mph in the following stretches of highway:
  • I-10 from Buckeye to California border.
  • I-10 east of Tucson to New Mexico border.
  • I-40 from Kingman to California border.
  • I-8 from east of Yuma to eastern terminus.
To ease the transition west of Phoenix, I-10 would be raised to 70 mph in Tolleson, Avondale, and Goodyear.

What does anyone think about this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 04:08 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Raising the Speed Limit to 80 MPH, or possibly even 85 MPH, on certain "wide open spaces" highways is a great idea . . . ONLY after a "No Cell Phone, No Eating and/or Drinking" while driving law is ENACTED and STRICTLY ENFORCED.

Whenever I travel I-10 from Tucson to Phoenix I am always amazed and appalled at the number of drivers chatting and/or texting while sailing along at 75 plus MPH. What is even more appalling is the number of drivers of 18 Wheelers that require a country mile to stop and/or maneuver blatantly chatting or texting.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM

455 posts, read 536,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Raising the Speed Limit to 80 MPH, or possibly even 85 MPH, on certain "wide open spaces" highways is a great idea . . . ONLY after a "No Cell Phone, No Eating and/or Drinking" while driving law is ENACTED and STRICTLY ENFORCED.

Whenever I travel I-10 from Tucson to Phoenix I am always amazed and appalled at the number of drivers chatting and/or texting while sailing along at 75 plus MPH. What is even more appalling is the number of drivers of 18 Wheelers that require a country mile to stop and/or maneuver blatantly chatting or texting.
Enforced by who?, there is no one out there, if someone goes off the road

That's their responsibility.You are again asking people to give up simple liberties to compensate for a few dopes and your own insecurity.Thats why we have so many silly laws in the first place.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post

I agree with those points, but in addition, I would very well be in favor of a ban on radar detectors. I know most people would disagree with me, however, the sole purpose of radar detectors is to break the law without being caught. There is nothing ethical about that!

I saw a Corvette going about 100 mph on US 60 (where the speed limit was 65 mph) about a week ago. It was pretty obvious he/she was using a radar detector otherwise he/she would have already been caught (there were no police chasing it). I personaly think that banning radar detectors but increasing the legal speed limit at the same time would make Arizona roads safer.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM

16,116 posts, read 20,148,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
With the recent surge of states that have been raising their speed limits (including Texas which will soon allow 85 mph speed limits on the most rural highways), I was wondering, would you support a raise of the Arizona state speed limit to 80 mph?

Personally, I think an 80 mph raise would actually be a good idea. I would raise the speed limit to 80 mph in the following stretches of highway:
  • I-10 from Buckeye to California border.
  • I-10 east of Tucson to New Mexico border.
  • I-40 from Kingman to California border.
  • I-8 from east of Yuma to eastern terminus.
To ease the transition west of Phoenix, I-10 would be raised to 70 mph in Tolleson, Avondale, and Goodyear.

What does anyone think about this?
Why not skip a few steps and go straight to 120mph.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why not skip a few steps and go straight to 120mph.
Nope, too dangerous, even for the Autobahn (recommended speed is 130 km/h or abput 81 mph).

Old 08-01-2011, 04:56 PM

652 posts, read 1,150,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros 1337 View Post
I agree with those points, but in addition, I would very well be in favor of a ban on radar detectors. I know most people would disagree with me, however, the sole purpose of radar detectors is to break the law without being caught. There is nothing ethical about that!

I saw a Corvette going about 100 mph on US 60 (where the speed limit was 65 mph) about a week ago. It was pretty obvious he/she was using a radar detector otherwise he/she would have already been caught (there were no police chasing it). I personaly think that banning radar detectors but increasing the legal speed limit at the same time would make Arizona roads safer.
For the most part, radar detectors are worthless. They only work if the officer has the radar gun on automatic. I used to love catching people with radar detectors and writing them a ticket. The radar guns we used had an on/off trigger, so I would keep it off until the car was in the beam. Then it was too late for them to slow down.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:31 PM

9,308 posts, read 25,657,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman View Post
Enforced by who?, there is no one out there, if someone goes off the road

That's their responsibility.You are again asking people to give up simple liberties to compensate for a few dopes and your own insecurity.Thats why we have so many silly laws in the first place.
"Simple liberties?" Since when did destroying property, maiming or killing innocent people become a liberty?

I definitely agree there are too many "silly laws" but, unfortunately, there are also too many First Person Singular individuals out there that have caused these "silly laws" to be necessary.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:57 PM

8,752 posts, read 16,703,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Mac View Post
For the most part, radar detectors are worthless. They only work if the officer has the radar gun on automatic. I used to love catching people with radar detectors and writing them a ticket. The radar guns we used had an on/off trigger, so I would keep it off until the car was in the beam. Then it was too late for them to slow down.
LOL! I hate to burst your bubble, but you'll never know how many people you didn't catch. That's because a good radar detector will detect bursts of radar from instant-on guns used on previous cars miles ahead, revealing your presence with plenty of warning.

More on topic, I don't see the point of the change. The speed limit on those roads is already 75MPH, and so you can easily go 80MPH today with no worries. In places like Texas where they have 80 MPH speed limits, the cops simply don't give you the 10 MPH buffer.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:52 AM

27,819 posts, read 37,862,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
LOL! I hate to burst your bubble, but you'll never know how many people you didn't catch. That's because a good radar detector will detect bursts of radar from instant-on guns used on previous cars miles ahead, revealing your presence with plenty of warning.

More on topic, I don't see the point of the change. The speed limit on those roads is already 75MPH, and so you can easily go 80MPH today with no worries. In places like Texas where they have 80 MPH speed limits, the cops simply don't give you the 10 MPH buffer.
I was going to say the same thing (about the cushion). Everybody who wants to is already driving 80-85 on all of the rural freeways. 10 over is the real limit in AZ. Increasing the posted limit would mean 90 plus would be the new ticket area and that is unsafe with the trucks, RVs, snowbirds, and general congestion on our freeways. As for enforcement, there are no funds for any serious enforcement out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or