U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,219,940 times
Reputation: 1422
Default Ponderosa is the king of the desert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sure (hope) you had other reasons for not coming here , because that would be about the dumbest reason someone could have for avoiding the place. Your description of coping with critters here is absurd. If you want to pass on AZ, do it because of the heat, the congestion, the illegals,home prices or something realistic. Nobody who actually lives here would leave because of bugs.
That's pretty mighty of you Ponderosa! Deciding who has a good reason for not coming here and who has a stupid one. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to deal with rattle snakes, scorpions, black widows and killer bees, especially if they are not use to it. It's nerve racking. When you have kids there is enough to worry about. Plus all the other things you mentioned! Not to leave out our glorious spiked, harmful cactus. My daughter fell into one when she was about 5, talk about sticky situation. Not everyone feels comfortable living like a tough desert cowboy. After reading through these posts it obvious everyone changes their lifestyle to cohabit with these creatures. And just as obvious they spend 1/2 there time at home avoiding any contact with them. Who wants to do that! There are better things to do, and why would you put up with the creatures to live in a polluted, dirty, dry, hot city! What, for the hiking? I have never been hiking out here but after reading the horror stories on this thread, of being stung, I won't be going! It seems that people who like to take risks would like it here. Desert stunt men maybe? People who just want to live their life would hate all the distraction. I do! And yes, I know there is worry everywhere, but, some worry is easier to handle. I'm not a baby for not liking all the venomous beings, I think I'm just smarter. And they (the creatures) wish you were gone to!


Oh, and by the way, plenty of people leave here because of the bugs! Especially after being stung 2 or 3 times! It sucks!

 
Old 09-18-2007, 10:22 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Reputation: 8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Despite the fact that the original posting was informative, it didn't make me feel any better. We had considered moving recently to AZ and the main reason we didn't was the creepy crawlies. Right now where I live there are no black widow or brown recluse spiders or any poisonious spiders. The only snakes are garter and rubber boa, both harmless and small. I don't have to walk around my front porch or yard at night with a flashlight looking for rattlers when I walk. I don't have to wear slippers at night or shake out my shoes each morning worrying about scorpions. My kids can play in the yard without me being concerned about snakes or spiders. No poisonious spiders or snakes, no scorpions, no tarantulas, the worse thing I have ever had in my home was a mouse or two for a short time. It is hard to get use to those type creatures when you are not use to them at all nor are your children.
Actually, all spiders are venomous, there are no poisonous spiders. Where do you live? Venomous snakes and black widows (even some species of scorpions) are common in most areas of the USA. There is even a species of scorpion in IL, brown recluse and black widows (southern portions of the state) and 4 species of venomous snakes here. Of course their numbers are FAR less than in AZ, but theyre here.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 10:58 AM
 
647 posts, read 2,311,397 times
Reputation: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
That's pretty mighty of you Ponderosa! Deciding who has a good reason for not coming here and who has a stupid one. I can understand why someone wouldn't want to deal with rattle snakes, scorpions, black widows and killer bees, especially if they are not use to it. It's nerve racking. When you have kids there is enough to worry about. Plus all the other things you mentioned! Not to leave out our glorious spiked, harmful cactus. My daughter fell into one when she was about 5, talk about sticky situation. Not everyone feels comfortable living like a tough desert cowboy. After reading through these posts it obvious everyone changes their lifestyle to cohabit with these creatures. And just as obvious they spend 1/2 there time at home avoiding any contact with them. Who wants to do that! There are better things to do, and why would you put up with the creatures to live in a polluted, dirty, dry, hot city! What, for the hiking? I have never been hiking out here but after reading the horror stories on this thread, of being stung, I won't be going! It seems that people who like to take risks would like it here. Desert stunt men maybe? People who just want to live their life would hate all the distraction. I do! And yes, I know there is worry everywhere, but, some worry is easier to handle. I'm not a baby for not liking all the venomous beings, I think I'm just smarter. And they (the creatures) wish you were gone to!


Oh, and by the way, plenty of people leave here because of the bugs! Especially after being stung 2 or 3 times! It sucks!
I really do feel sorry for you, and I don't mean that in a rude way. I can't imagine living my life in the constant fear that you do, or at least that it seems that you do based on all your comments. It must be exhausting and miserable. If I was as petrified of life, and spent as much time worrying and changing my lifestyle that you do, I truly would do everything I possibly could to move.

Life is too short to spend avoiding contact with bugs and snakes, and believe me when I tell you that I HATE bugs and snakes as much as you, if not more. Heck, I don't even like crickets! I'd love to not have to deal with these things. But based on the knowledge I now have after researching scorpions through various sources other then this board, I'm quite confident that scorpions should be the least of our worries living here in AZ, or even just living in this world nowadays.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
 
Location: AZ
19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Reputation: 8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
But based on the knowledge I now have after researching scorpions through various sources other then this board, I'm quite confident that scorpions should be the least of our worries living here in AZ, or even just living in this world nowadays.
Thats awesome.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 04:18 PM
 
338 posts, read 974,936 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm sure (hope) you had other reasons for not coming here , because that would be about the dumbest reason someone could have for avoiding the place. Your description of coping with critters here is absurd. If you want to pass on AZ, do it because of the heat, the congestion, the illegals,home prices or something realistic. Nobody who actually lives here would leave because of bugs.
I would have to agree with you 'Ponderosa'. I have lived in AZ for 28 years since I was a small child and was just recently stung by a scorpion for the first time. Oh sure, over the years, I have encountered a few snakes, GIANT flying roaches, big black widows , scorpions of course and I even saw a tarantula on the street once. But I would never even think of leaving Arizona because of the insects.

Also, I agree with 'Boatdrinks' that you cannot live in fear your whole life. It's just not healthy. In the great scheme of things, insects are the least of my worries. In fact, insects have a great impact on the balance of our eco-system so really we must respect them not fear them. Although I must admit, I am a little nervous of getting stung by a scorpion again but ever since I was stung, I no longer fear scorpions. Spiders however, are a different story, I do fear them but I am trying to work on that.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 04:33 PM
 
Location: AZ
19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Reputation: 8139
Psst, scorpions, spiders, snakes, etc are not insects.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM
 
338 posts, read 974,936 times
Reputation: 135
ok ok...... Arachnids and reptiles. What I should have said was "CREEPY CRAWLIES" but I'm sure everyone got my 'point' regardless of what I called them.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 04:48 PM
 
Location: AZ
19,195 posts, read 50,052,500 times
Reputation: 8139
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueeyz911 View Post
ok ok...... Arachnids and reptiles. What I should have said was "CREEPY CRAWLIES" but I'm sure everyone got my 'point' regardless of what I called them.
Just razzin ya.

To leave AZ because of "creepy crawlies" is definitely silly. People just need to sit down and take a few minutes to learn about them, rather than live in fear over the stupid wives-tales that surround them. However, those with infants should be very cautious (and the elderly too).
 
Old 09-18-2007, 05:29 PM
 
338 posts, read 974,936 times
Reputation: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Just razzin ya.
I know Steve-o, it's cool. Just razzin' you back.

Did you say YOU used to be an arachnophobe? I was just reading a post of yours in a "phoenix spider" thread.
 
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM
 
599 posts, read 1,542,657 times
Reputation: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
While I'm the first one to admit that they're here, most people living average suburban lives rarely, if ever, encounter them. Again - I'm knocking loudly on wood
For people considering moving to AZ, I was also afraid of the creatures before we moved here, but no longer am because sightings are rare.

I agree with Boatdrinks. We've lived here for over 2 1/2 years now, and have never had a scorpion in our home. Our home has a view fence facing a wash. We do have an exterminator, which I'm sure helps. One of our neighbors about 15 or so homes from us found one in their garage, but they are on the outskirts of our neighborhood. I also volunteer at school a lot, and haven't heard of any issues there either. I think that some areas get them more than others. Twiggy's zip code map is interesting, and shows that "area" can make a difference. I was happy to see my zip code 85383 is not in a red area.

About snakes and spiders, we've only seen one snake in AZ (not near our home, but out in the "wild"). Every once in awhile we'll see spiders, but none that are the type you need to worry about.

I've also had some good laughs reading this thread:
Gretchen B, you made me laugh with your comment, "So what do they like to eat (scorps not exterminators)?"
MotleyCrew, you made me laugh also with your post, "Hmm. It sort of sounds like childbirth."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top