U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 09-19-2007, 12:31 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I really do feel sorry for you, and I don't mean that in a rude way. I can't imagine living my life in the constant fear that you do, or at least that it seems that you do based on all your comments. It must be exhausting and miserable. If I was as petrified of life, and spent as much time worrying and changing my lifestyle that you do, I truly would do everything I possibly could to move.

Life is too short to spend avoiding contact with bugs and snakes, and believe me when I tell you that I HATE bugs and snakes as much as you, if not more. Heck, I don't even like crickets! I'd love to not have to deal with these things. But based on the knowledge I now have after researching scorpions through various sources other then this board, I'm quite confident that scorpions should be the least of our worries living here in AZ, or even just living in this world nowadays.

Thanks so much for your concern! It sounded so genuine at first. You obviously haven't followed many of my threads or you would know I don't live with these creatures. Except for the occasional widow. As I have posted many times, if you are smart, and do a little planning before you buy, you can avoid living with scorpions and rattle snakes and tranchulas. I have friends who didn't investigate though and now live with them all. I'm sure it feeds your ego, and others, to condemn people for not wanting to live or adapt to living with these creatures. Maybe it's jealousy, I don't know. But I did feel compelled to understand the posters feelings on this issue. When you have small children, you don't take a hospital trip twice a year because of a scorpion sting lightly. It's far more painful than a little boo-boo. After three stings from scorpions, my friends daughter(a four year old) is afraid of scorpions. That is just not something a mother wants to add to her life! I don't know when you all got so concerned with other peoples feelings or the concerns they have or don't have, but if you were from another state and reading AZ's forums, you would really notice how different it is. I have been on the MA forum for awhile now and it is so less personal and condescending. Some people don't like living with scorpions, and you know what, it is their choice. You don't need to free them from their anxieties, they can take care of that themselves. And you certainly don't have the right to tell them they are stupid. I enjoy quite a bit of life, thank you very much. Even more so that I'm not running any of my kids to the hospital for anti-venom every year. I am not a follower though, if I don't want to live a certain way, especially if it is harmful to my children, then I don't. I would never say, oh, ok, I guess I will deal with it if you say I should. Whose in control of your life? Ponderosa?? If the schools are bad here, I will move where they are better, if I live somewhere with a high pollution rate that is harmful to everyone, I will move, or work toward cleaning it up! There is a whole world out there, my world is not limited to Phoenix, AZ. Should I feel sorry for you because you give in to all of lives obstacles? Because when there is a fork in the road, you follow who ever is in front of you? I don't, because you could change it. Scorpions being the last of your worries tells me you have a mental list of worries for this place. Why don't you just get rid of them instead of learning to live with them! I am completely aware of what I have no control of, and know when to let go, but scorpions, bad schools, and polluted cities, certainly aren't on that list. I can change all of those things. I bet your still at a company you hate to work for. You must have quite the lifestyle and no children. Mothers generally want what's best for their children. Father's usually want what's best for their families. Moving out of AZ is definaly an attainable goal, for me anyway. I'm not going to the moon. And not picking AZ, because of the critters and all of the other things on your list is probably a good idea for that poster. There are a lot of other places out there, people are not all the same. Something you might find unbearable, like snow, I might find a small price to pay for clean air, and a good education. We are all different, that doesn't warrant a stupidity comment, or a psychologist. Thanks for the pity, but as you can read, I don't really need it. Why don't you give it to the people on here that have been stung this week! By scorpions, I mean, not by Ponderosa!

 
Old 09-19-2007, 01:03 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Reputation: 1420
And by the way, I don't have to check my shoes, my towels, or my bed and get to walk around bare foot all day long, even in the dark! Talk about liven! Imagine that.
 
Old 09-21-2007, 12:59 AM
 
647 posts, read 2,282,716 times
Reputation: 237
Actually it was quite genuine. I was responding to the post in which YOU said that you modify your life to avoid these insects and where you said that you are miserable b/c of these modifications and concerns. I didn't say those things - you did. As well, you have said that you DO live with these creatures - I remember you saying you see them at your kids' school, for instance. So I'm confused. In one post, you lament the overbearing presence of scorpions everywhere - I think you once said that everyone has them and you definitely said tonight that at least half the people on this board have been stung (which I completely disagree with). But now you're saying you never see them, you're not bothered by them and you never change your life b/c of them. Based on your last post, I was sincerely expressing concern for what seemed like genuine fear and modification of your lifestyle. I most certainly did NOT "condem" you or call you "stupid."

As for the MA board - I'm glad you find it more civil then this board. I always found New Englanders to be a bit harder to warm up to then many other regions, but it's a beautiful state. I lived there for a while and I hope you're able to move there and find the happiness that you're not finding here.

And your question about whether or not Ponderosa is controlling my life - how did you guess??? Darn it. I guess I didn't do a good enough job of hiding that from everyone


Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Thanks so much for your concern! It sounded so genuine at first. You obviously haven't followed many of my threads or you would know I don't live with these creatures. Except for the occasional widow. As I have posted many times, if you are smart, and do a little planning before you buy, you can avoid living with scorpions and rattle snakes and tranchulas. I have friends who didn't investigate though and now live with them all. I'm sure it feeds your ego, and others, to condemn people for not wanting to live or adapt to living with these creatures. Maybe it's jealousy, I don't know. But I did feel compelled to understand the posters feelings on this issue. When you have small children, you don't take a hospital trip twice a year because of a scorpion sting lightly. It's far more painful than a little boo-boo. After three stings from scorpions, my friends daughter(a four year old) is afraid of scorpions. That is just not something a mother wants to add to her life! I don't know when you all got so concerned with other peoples feelings or the concerns they have or don't have, but if you were from another state and reading AZ's forums, you would really notice how different it is. I have been on the MA forum for awhile now and it is so less personal and condescending. Some people don't like living with scorpions, and you know what, it is their choice. You don't need to free them from their anxieties, they can take care of that themselves. And you certainly don't have the right to tell them they are stupid. I enjoy quite a bit of life, thank you very much. Even more so that I'm not running any of my kids to the hospital for anti-venom every year. I am not a follower though, if I don't want to live a certain way, especially if it is harmful to my children, then I don't. I would never say, oh, ok, I guess I will deal with it if you say I should. Whose in control of your life? Ponderosa?? If the schools are bad here, I will move where they are better, if I live somewhere with a high pollution rate that is harmful to everyone, I will move, or work toward cleaning it up! There is a whole world out there, my world is not limited to Phoenix, AZ. Should I feel sorry for you because you give in to all of lives obstacles? Because when there is a fork in the road, you follow who ever is in front of you? I don't, because you could change it. Scorpions being the last of your worries tells me you have a mental list of worries for this place. Why don't you just get rid of them instead of learning to live with them! I am completely aware of what I have no control of, and know when to let go, but scorpions, bad schools, and polluted cities, certainly aren't on that list. I can change all of those things. I bet your still at a company you hate to work for. You must have quite the lifestyle and no children. Mothers generally want what's best for their children. Father's usually want what's best for their families. Moving out of AZ is definaly an attainable goal, for me anyway. I'm not going to the moon. And not picking AZ, because of the critters and all of the other things on your list is probably a good idea for that poster. There are a lot of other places out there, people are not all the same. Something you might find unbearable, like snow, I might find a small price to pay for clean air, and a good education. We are all different, that doesn't warrant a stupidity comment, or a psychologist. Thanks for the pity, but as you can read, I don't really need it. Why don't you give it to the people on here that have been stung this week! By scorpions, I mean, not by Ponderosa!
 
Old 09-26-2007, 09:49 PM
 
968 posts, read 1,513,936 times
Reputation: 693
Thanks so much for the info on scorpions and dogs.
 
Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
Actually it was quite genuine. I was responding to the post in which YOU said that you modify your life to avoid these insects and where you said that you are miserable b/c of these modifications and concerns. I didn't say those things - you did. As well, you have said that you DO live with these creatures - I remember you saying you see them at your kids' school, for instance. So I'm confused. In one post, you lament the overbearing presence of scorpions everywhere - I think you once said that everyone has them and you definitely said tonight that at least half the people on this board have been stung (which I completely disagree with). But now you're saying you never see them, you're not bothered by them and you never change your life b/c of them. Based on your last post, I was sincerely expressing concern for what seemed like genuine fear and modification of your lifestyle. I most certainly did NOT "condemn" you or call you "stupid."

As for the MA board - I'm glad you find it more civil then this board. I always found New Englanders to be a bit harder to warm up to then many other regions, but it's a beautiful state. I lived there for a while and I hope you're able to move there and find the happiness that you're not finding here.

And your question about whether or not Ponderosa is controlling my life - how did you guess??? Darn it. I guess I didn't do a good enough job of hiding that from everyone
You need to read more thoroughly before you comment in such a personal way. I did not say I had scorpions. I have always posted that I didn't deal with them because I always checked before I bought. My children's school does have them, not my house and thank god! I do however sympathize with people who do, and people who don't want to deal with this. If you would have read Ponderosas response to that poster who was afraid of scorpions maybe you would of understood more. I did sympathize with her. I don't agree with most of you on the scorpion issue. I don't think someone is stupid for not wanting the worry of living with scorpions when you have children. If you read through this thread you would see people do alter their behavior when they have scorpions. It doesn't mean she needs to question her need for living at all! Telling her it's ok to avoid living somewhere because of congestion, heat, but not scorpions is so "king of AZ like". I get tired of it. If bugs are a consideration for her then its important, it doesn't have to be what others think is important. And did you really think diving into a personal assessment of me and how I live based on what you've read on my post is not a little bizarre. Have you read the rest of these post? I think there are a lot more who need your sympathy. Why, anyone on here based on your reasoning could use your advice, ey. Do you single different people out, read all their threads, then determine what great advice you have for them after you first state what you have determined their problem is? I think your rude, and that your post did not relate to this thread at all. I also think it was rude. It was personal, and on top of that it was wrong. Stick to the topic, and your opinions about the topic! Not your psychological review of others. If you agreed with Poderosa, then just agree. I didn't. I don't have to. It doesn't mean I am fear stricken. It just means I have a different opinion. Maybe your to afraid to say what you mean so you sugar coat it with sympathy, but it is still rude. I often don't agree with him, but I still enjoy reading his opinion, and I don't feel sorry for his poor life. I just think he has a different opinion. This will be deleted I am sure, but hopefully you get to read it first. You need to relax, and work on yourself a little. Were all fine, but thanks.
And by the way, read this thread and others like it on here. I said I don't want to modify my life for scorpions like everyone else has! Read and you will see what I mean.
 
Old 09-27-2007, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
16,447 posts, read 19,321,679 times
Reputation: 8548
Quit dragging my name into this . I'm not about to go back and read all the posts but it was my impression that someone strongly implied that people in AZ must alter their normal lifestyles to deal with scorpions. To which I reply without mincing words: BS! I think that anyone who lives in fear of and alters their lives by obsessively checking bedsheets, shoes, and clothes for a little insect that has killed NOBODY in over forty years while millions of us Zonies have cohabitated with them, either has a very distorted sense of relative risk or is whacked in the head. I don't know anyone, other than a contributor to this forum who admits to living like that except for a brief time after being stung. I also think that telling people that they will have to live obsessively because of scorpions is inaccurate and misleading and causes needless worry on the part of someone considering a move here.

Scorpions are a fact of life in the SW desert. So are drunk drivers, jealous husbands, West Nile virus, lightning, and all the other things that might kill or hurt you. One needs to take it in stride and keep it in perspective.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 09-27-2007 at 10:24 AM..
 
Old 09-27-2007, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
7,816 posts, read 15,258,261 times
Reputation: 6196
BEAUTIFULLY STATED, Ponderosa!
 
Old 09-27-2007, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Glendale AZ
57 posts, read 113,149 times
Reputation: 39
Just wanted to add,when you do get stung its hurts like a %%%^,i would take a bee sting anytime,I had to have my wedding ring cut off the first time I got stung by a scorpion,The swelling and pain last longer then 24 hours too,and scorpions are hadr to kill you have to whack them many many times
 
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 PM
 
3,886 posts, read 6,107,877 times
Reputation: 1420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Quit dragging my name into this . I'm not about to go back and read all the posts but it was my impression that someone strongly implied that people in AZ must alter their normal lifestyles to deal with scorpions. To which I reply without mincing words: BS! I think that anyone who lives in fear of and alters their lives by obsessively checking bedsheets, shoes, and clothes for a little insect that has killed NOBODY in over forty years while millions of us Zonies have cohabitated with them, either has a very distorted sense of relative risk or is whacked in the head. I don't know anyone, other than a contributor to this forum who admits to living like that except for a brief time after being stung. I also think that telling people that they will have to live obsessively because of scorpions is inaccurate and misleading and causes needless worry on the part of someone considering a move here.

Scorpions are a fact of life in the SW desert. So are drunk drivers, jealous husbands, West Nile virus, lightning, and all the other things that might kill or hurt you. One needs to take it in stride and keep it in perspective.
I get it, I will just stop posting my opinion on scorpions. Obviously the scorpion club has this one cornered. I wasn't even the one afraid of them. But if someone is, I do understand. I have no issue with how you feel or not. I do have an issue with this getting to personal. I don't think it's cool to call someone an idiot for being afraid of scorpions. But you are aloud to your opinion. But if boatdrinks starts to psyco analize me then forget it! Your name keeps coming up because your post was the one I was quoting. Boatdrinks just decided to rip me for extra credit. Congrats, boys. I won't be coming this way again. It's getting way to personal. I'm sure you'll all miss me. NOT!
 
Old 09-28-2007, 10:45 AM
 
338 posts, read 958,596 times
Reputation: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Quit dragging my name into this . I'm not about to go back and read all the posts but it was my impression that someone strongly implied that people in AZ must alter their normal lifestyles to deal with scorpions. To which I reply without mincing words: BS! I think that anyone who lives in fear of and alters their lives by obsessively checking bedsheets, shoes, and clothes for a little insect that has killed NOBODY in over forty years while millions of us Zonies have cohabitated with them, either has a very distorted sense of relative risk or is whacked in the head. I don't know anyone, other than a contributor to this forum who admits to living like that except for a brief time after being stung. I also think that telling people that they will have to live obsessively because of scorpions is inaccurate and misleading and causes needless worry on the part of someone considering a move here.

Scorpions are a fact of life in the SW desert. So are drunk drivers, jealous husbands, West Nile virus, lightning, and all the other things that might kill or hurt you. One needs to take it in stride and keep it in perspective.
Well..... I guess I'm "whacked in the head" because YES I do check my bed sheets at night since I was stung by a scorpion that was in MY BED! Excuse me if that bothers you so much. It does not bother me at all. As a matter of fact, it makes me sleep better at night knowing that we checked our bedroom with a blacklight for scorpions. We don't do this so much for ourselves but we do it for our 2 small dogs. They may have a more serious reaction than me and I certainly don't have the money for emergency vet bills at 2:00 a.m. and I care about them enough that I do not want them to suffer from the sting of a scorpion.

I certainly do not live in fear of scorpions. It is simply taking precautions and it does not affect my quality of the life. It only takes a few seconds to shake my shoes, 10 minutes before bed to check the bedroom. Oh, what a huge inconvenience. I was just stung 3 weeks ago but we most likely will take these precautions for the duration of our stay in this apartment since it does have a documented scorpion problem. I understand everyone has their own opinions about how to live their lives, but no one should be called names because some of us like to take precautions. It's not like I'm moving, I love Arizona. I'm just being more aware of my surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top