Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 31,541 times

Advertisements

thank you all for your input, HOAs dont sound like something we want to deal with but i guess it all depends on the specific rules....not looking for someone to tell me what shrubs to plant! does anyone know if any CCRs are posted online? I mean, if we find a house we like somewhere, can we look up that subdivisions HOA and find out ahead of time if its anal retentive or not? (my husband is a medically retired vet and im a housewife, but neither of us are down with anal retentive jerks )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Never buy in HOA jurisdiction. Never.

Old 08-31-2011, 01:58 PM

246 posts, read 629,287 times
What we've always done is ask the realtor or find out if there are any restrictions in the area, or any HOA's involved. If there are, we aren't interested.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:25 PM

102 posts, read 229,972 times
I bought an investment property in Peoria that initially had an HOA fee of $35 per month. At closing it had increased to $55 per month. I guess that the existing homes are paying for the empty ones as well now. I can't figure out what the HOA does besides complain about garbage cans being out too soon (done) and paint color (repainted, the new HOA has no idea what is acceptable, but we stayed safely close in color). I can see the need for HOA's in areas where there is grass to cut, and snow to plow like there is in the midwest, but what the hell are they actually using my money for? There is a common park in the subdivision.. whoopie! Damn expensive park.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,695,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacubz View Post
I bought an investment property in Peoria that initially had an HOA fee of $35 per month. At closing it had increased to $55 per month. I guess that the existing homes are paying for the empty ones as well now. I can't figure out what the HOA does besides complain about garbage cans being out too soon (done) and paint color (repainted, the new HOA has no idea what is acceptable, but we stayed safely close in color). I can see the need for HOA's in areas where there is grass to cut, and snow to plow like there is in the midwest, but what the hell are they actually using my money for? There is a common park in the subdivision.. whoopie! Damn expensive park.
Simple answer, Dacubz . . . attend an HOA Board Meeting and find out. Unfortunately, you are probably correct about the empty homes not paying their fair share but that's happening just about everywhere with this wonderful economy.

By the way . . . GREAT Screen Name.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Can you imagine what our neighborhoods would look like in these times with all the renters and empty houses? The HOAs crack the whip on the landlords and banks.
Haaa,haaa,haa,haaa, sure they do. I can imagine rather vividly what the neighborhoods you describe look like as there are many right now. It seems to be more the rule than the exception in many subdivisions due to the amount of foreclosures that have and are happening.
HOA's can only force a bank to do so much and only when the bank actually gets control of the property which takes a bunch of time. I'm looking at a house right down the street that's been overgrown with weeds and all the landscaping is well beyond dead and has been that way for months now and there's many more like that in other parts of the subdivision.
I wish the HOA's would/could do more. I always wondered if they could have the gardeners for the subdivision fix the issue (after proper notification) and then lien the house so they get paid when it finally sells.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:22 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,777,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Haaa,haaa,haa,haaa, sure they do. I can imagine rather vividly what the neighborhoods you describe look like as there are many right now. It seems to be more the rule than the exception in many subdivisions due to the amount of foreclosures that have and are happening.
HOA's can only force a bank to do so much and only when the bank actually gets control of the property which takes a bunch of time. I'm looking at a house right down the street that's been overgrown with weeds and all the landscaping is well beyond dead and has been that way for months now and there's many more like that in other parts of the subdivision.
I wish the HOA's would/could do more. I always wondered if they could have the gardeners for the subdivision fix the issue (after proper notification) and then lien the house so they get paid when it finally sells.
The problem is, if the HOA sends gardeners to the property for "self help", it's trespassing, so it's very difficult to do that.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The problem is, if the HOA sends gardeners to the property for "self help", it's trespassing, so it's very difficult to do that.
I've seen several CC&R's that allow for just that. I've just never known an HOA to actually do it though.

Old 09-07-2011, 11:11 AM

492 posts, read 1,041,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stokes172 View Post
No pink and lemon lime color schemes...
I won't live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow for tacky colors. The alternative is often that only shades of beige are allowed, because that's all the group of neighbors can agree on.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:18 AM

351 posts, read 975,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalhop View Post
I won't live in a neighborhood that doesn't allow for tacky colors. The alternative is often that only shades of beige are allowed, because that's all the group of neighbors can agree on.
Even though I'm definately not a fan of pink and lime color schemes, I couldn't agree more. The HOA for the neighborhood we are currently living in requires that the house paint color *and* roof color must correlate to one of the originally built schemes. That basically means that if you want to paint your house a different shade of brown, you must also swap out your tile roof so that it matches the paint job.

At least the HOA is allowing solar panels on the roofs now. I guess they didn't have a choice when the builder started putting solar into the new houses as a green move-in incentive. I'll be having one installed later this fall, even if I have to deal with the crappy HOA approval process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona