U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,782,821 times

Advertisements

When I was a kid, taking the bus to school, the bus was not allowed to pick up kids who lived on the side of the street opposite the school bus door. Some of my neighbors literally had a different bus route because we were not allowed to cross the street and so their bus came from the other direction.

Yesterday, I came upon a stopped school bus on the opposite side of the road with a large median strip between us. I continued on, but a few vehicles behind me stopped, making me think I might have done it wrong. Those cars and I were a good 100 yds. away from the bus on the other side of the street. It's a wide street with a wide median. None of the kids were crossing the street. I know you can't pass a stopped school bus and I know both directions stop for one if there's no median. But what about when the opposing traffic is so far from the bus because of the median?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:52 AM

17,573 posts, read 20,884,023 times
You see that everywhere. People err on the side of the absurd. If it is a physical separation, like a landscaped, curbed median you don't have to stop. If it is a painted one, or at an intersection you do.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

434 posts, read 663,342 times
^ Exactly

It's in the drivers manual, but a lot of people don't know it. If there's a median, the school bus has to u-turn and come back to drop off whereas, if it's just a yellow line or something, kids can cross.
This is similar to drivers in Arizona not understanding when the 15 mph crosswalk speed ends (hint: it's not at the opposing sign that you can't see). It's more of a herd mentality than anything: no one wants to be the first to do it if someone else doesn't do it first.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:56 AM

Thanks. That's what I thought, but had some doubts when everyone else behind me stopped.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:04 AM

14,198 posts, read 17,750,597 times
You see the same thing with people pulling over for a fire engine going the opposite direction on a divided highway. You aren't required to pull over, but people still do.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:29 AM

1,591 posts, read 2,230,620 times
I drove school bus in retirement for a little while up in WA. Many drivers did not understand the divided road issues and when to stop, it's common.
The drivers that got to me was the ones that stopped behind me when I was discharging kids across the road in an area legal to do so, get tired of waiting and go around me anyway.
One driver I got the license plate on that did that and almost ran down 3 kids in the process had to go to court and paid a $675 fine and got several point on their license in the process. Her excuse to the Judge was that she was tired of waiting for me to move.
I would not want to have to pay her insurance rates after that ticket.

The tickets for speeding in a school zone were not cheap up there either.

Last edited by keninaz; 09-09-2011 at 12:24 PM..

Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 PM

42 posts, read 61,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You see the same thing with people pulling over for a fire engine going the opposite direction on a divided highway. You aren't required to pull over, but people still do.
I can't tell you how good this is for me to read! A positive answer!
Having come from overseas, taken the AZ drivers test and passed, it totally took me by surprise to almost kiss the backside of another car in this situation when they went from 45mph to nothing! Fortunately I allow space for reaction times, but then later I saw this again, leaving me confused, to the point of is there some unwritten rule somewhere I am missing?, and folk I asked said they didn't know really, (just like STOP signs appear to cause confusion to people) they just stopped for fire engines even if divided.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:31 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,721 posts, read 11,903,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey2 View Post
I can't tell you how good this is for me to read! A positive answer!
Having come from overseas, taken the AZ drivers test and passed, it totally took me by surprise to almost kiss the backside of another car in this situation when they went from 45mph to nothing! Fortunately I allow space for reaction times, but then later I saw this again, leaving me confused, to the point of is there some unwritten rule somewhere I am missing?, and folk I asked said they didn't know really, (just like STOP signs appear to cause confusion to people) they just stopped for fire engines even if divided.
I don't believe there's a distinction about pulling over for emergency vehicles if the road has a solid divider or not. With that being said, if you're near an intersection then things change as I've seen many an emergency vehicle drive down the wrong side of the street to get around traffic. Driving actually takes some common sense, if you're on a road where there's no way for the oncoming E.V. to cross then I'd not pull over but would watch for one in the oncoming lanes, if near an intersection then yes, pull over as you have no way of knowing where the E.V. will turn or decide to use your lanes.

As for school buses, if it has a solid divider (as in concrete or bushes) then no, you don't have to stop. If it is just lines NO MATTER HOW WIDE then yes you have to stop. I do wish they'd play some commercials at the start of school like they've done in other states reminding people how to drive around school buses and the penalty if you don't comply.

As for stop signs, I've never in my life seen so many confused people that can't deal with them. As far as I've always known when presented with 4 people at a stop sign the person on the right is supposed to have the right-of-way. With that being said common sense should dictate that if the car approaching you isn't turning and proceeds you should as well then the two cars to the right and left go etc. I can't stand it when everyone just sits and sits waiting for someone to go. I generally just let off the brake and start creeping showing intent to proceed and that breaks the log jam confusion.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
With that being said common sense should dictate that if the car approaching you isn't turning and proceeds you should as well then the two cars to the right and left go etc.
It would help if people used turn signals anymore. Nowadays they mean nothing. If you see someone not signaling, you still have to assume they could do anything. I see idiots every single day on the highway oblivious to their signal being on, talking or texting on their phone. I ride a motorcycle as my main transportation and I've only made it to the age of 40 by assuming 1) I'm invisible and 2) everyone is trying to kill me.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:02 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,651,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I've only made it to the age of 40 by assuming 1) I'm invisible and 2) everyone is trying to kill me.
Wouldn't those two cancel each other out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona