U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times

Advertisements

Hey I've been looking at these forums for a while trying to figure out the right place to move to, and as far as states go, I've settled for the moment on Arizona. I saw another successful thread similar to this, so I was hoping you all could name my ideal town for me. It has:

- Low cost of living. I will be renting an apartment, I would like one for 600/month or less (single bedroom). I am the farthest thing from a wealthy man.

- Low crime rate. I've been hearing some horror stories about gang activity, especially in New Mexico and California. Not sure how much that carries over to AZ.

- Tolerant/open community. One thing that turned me away from Utah was more stories about people not getting jobs because they were tossed aside in favor of LDS candidates. I am not religious. I don't mind at all if the people around me are, but I would like to be treated the same way.

- No smog. Phoenix is almost a fit for me, but it's not, because of these articles I've read about how terrible the air quality is. I don't want to be affected by that. A problem that Salt Lake City had as well.

- Not a college/tourist town. Again, Tucson would almost be a fit, except for this.

- Nice weather. This is at the bottom of the list because it's almost a given for Arizona. I'm moving because I want to be warmer. I'm not sure how many cold places there are in AZ but I don't want to be there!

Note that I've listed mostly major cities, but that's only because I haven't heard much about smaller towns. A population of 8000-9000 is fine for me, but larger than that could be fine too. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:58 PM

3,243 posts, read 789,908 times
Sounds like Sierra Vista.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:23 AM

267 posts, read 405,001 times
Sierra Vista is a great community, but Conservative (me) and military. But, 35K and growing. It also has both Cochise College and the U of A South.
Bisbee is a liberal community and 5K or so.
Benson actually sounds more like what you want, but some of the ranching families have been there since the 1700's (The Salcidos), yet are quite firendly.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:13 AM

2,221 posts, read 3,966,437 times
I think you may have problems with that $600 rent in Sierra Vista. The landlords know what the allowance is for the GIs and there is a need for rentals due to the Army.
There are many smaller towns in AZ and NM that would fit your needs rent wise.
But the bigger problem for you may be a job. Do you need one?

Old 09-28-2011, 12:36 PM

849 posts, read 1,683,085 times
Safford fits much of that criteria...however we do have a strong LDS community here...not a majority..(at least not in Safford...more so in Thatcher and Pima.. neighboring towns)...but there is a strong influence.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:41 PM

2,221 posts, read 3,966,437 times
And many of them look down their noses that those that are not LDS, or did until I moved out of Safford 8 years ago. It didn't bother me, I liked a challenge!
Jobs are a little tough in town too with all the LDS college kids willing to work for a little bit of nothing.
Safford makes a nice retirement town in my thoughts but there is not much there in the way of shopping and it's a long ways to that.
And medical is rather limited too there as it is in any smaller town.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:50 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,546,889 times
I'd recommend a visit to Tucson to check it out. It is a large town (larger than you may be looking for), which means you can get away from the college kids and tourists if you choose. I love the north part of Tucson but I've never priced apartments. I think the air quality is better than Phoenix but haven't researched any numbers to provide you with. Their weather is a little milder compared to Phoenix too.

Other Arizona towns that may fit the bill:
Prescott Valley (may get a little too cold for you in winter)
Camp Verde
Sierra Vista

Old 09-28-2011, 01:13 PM

3,243 posts, read 789,908 times
Personally, I find the Benson area to be rundown-looking and depressing. The area has a lot of potential, however, being right along the interstate and seemingly ever closer to Tucson.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I think you may have problems with that $600 rent in Sierra Vista. The landlords know what the allowance is for the GIs and there is a need for rentals due to the Army.
There are many smaller towns in AZ and NM that would fit your needs rent wise.
But the bigger problem for you may be a job. Do you need one?
Definitely will need a job, was hoping to just get something minimum wage for the time being, hence the need for the cheap apartment.

Thanks for the input so far, any other thoughts on Bisbee? I've looked it up, and it's sticking out to me. I like old-timey towns.

Oh, and if the area looks rundown and depressing, that's a negative as well haha.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:58 PM

16,061 posts, read 18,958,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salpointe59 View Post
Sierra Vista is a great community, but Conservative (me) and military. But, 35K and growing. It also has both Cochise College and the U of A South.
Bisbee is a liberal community and 5K or so.
Benson actually sounds more like what you want, but some of the ranching families have been there since the 1700's (The Salcidos), yet are quite firendly.
Conservative hahahaha!, that's why we elected Gabby Giffords TWICE.
It's a great break from the rest of this Goose Stepping state. But I doubt you will find any low rents here. The rent is what the Army Pays, TDYs keep the rents high. The idea that the military is conservative is a thing of the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona