Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM

18 posts, read 72,651 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
Haven't posted in a minute because things were still confusing as to where we're going in AZ, but I think it's pretty safe to say that my husband will have to work in Flagstaff. We're not too happy about it, going by what people told us, what we've learned researching... it's expensive and has more snow in the winter than Germany

So instead of buying a house right now (over the distance) and possibly make a huge mistake, we're thinking that we will live on Luke AFB for a few months and then move closer to Flagstaff. I already checked mapquest and it said that the est. time is 2 hours and 47 minutes, est. 167.21 miles! Does it really take that long?

My husband doens't want to live and buy a house in that climate, he would like the hot summers and mild winters. He doesn't mind commuting and working in Flagstaff but resents the idea of living there. What would be acceptable places close by that aren't in that climate? I have yet to go to AZ, I'm currently in LA and we are trying to get somewhat of an Idea.

Any input / help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks
Mel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 12:07 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
He's actually thinking about commuting daily to Flag? That would be crazy. And, yes, it probably would take about that long with traffic. Taking the I-17 northbound is bad traffic up to Anthem.

I would look into renting in or around Flagstaff, or Prescott until your ready to buy.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM

18 posts, read 72,651 times
Default We won't see much of each other....

I figured that with traffic that time would be pretty accurate, he won't be reasoned with right now. He contacted some comany for apartments to rent (which would be my preference!) but they didn't have garages and he said that he'd rather safe the money for a little while instead of wasting it on rent and utilities. Even thou gas prices aren't all that low either and the wear and tear on our vehicles is going to be pretty nasty.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,124,664 times
For places to live; you may wish to take a look at the Verde Valley (Campe Verde, etc), it is about 15-20F warmer than Flag but only an hour away.

Old 08-21-2007, 02:10 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times
owch...commuting to flagg would be horrid to say the least......you will definitly either want to try and get out of having to move there (if he hates it that much) or move as far south as you can handle the drive time......other than that.....well, those sound like the only two options unless you really really like driving.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM

24 posts, read 69,991 times
Hi Mel,

Welcome to America!

Glad you made it to LA, LA as in Louisiana or Los Angeles?
I think you should definetely take a look at Prescott. As mentioned before I moved here a few months ago, and really like it. Downtown reminds me on my hometown in Germany so much, it brings tears to my eyes. That's probably why so many germans settled here way back when.
The temperatures so far have not made it above 95 I think, and it cools of nicely at night, into the 60's. It isn't too far from Flagstaff, and I was told it snows, but it gererally melts the same day on the streets so it shouldn't be as extreme as Flagstaff. The air is much cleaner that Phoenix too.
Let me know if you need more info on Prescott. Happy to help.
Petra

Old 09-05-2007, 04:23 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,363,453 times
If its of any worth, Id choose Flagstaff over Phoenix anyday. Its more beautiful, has better air, less crime, and a far more liveable climate (ie 4 seasons). Just my .02.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:20 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
I lived in Munich for several years and I know what your husband is thinking. I was so sick of cold and clouds by the time I left there. But Flagstaff is nothing like Germany weather wise. It is sunny almost all the time winter and summer. Rain in the summer is short-lived afternoon showers followed by clear skies. Winter snows come with passing cold fronts. It can snow a lot but not that often. And the sun is warm and the snow goes away in a day or so. It's really pretty nice weather-wise. Housing costs are over the moon, though, and that is the big downside to Flagstaff. If you can afford it, it is hard to beat. Prescott is not a good commute for Flagstaff. Traffic and constant construction. Camp Verde is a possibility. It's right on the freeway, maybe an hour down the hill from Flagstaff and is hot in summer, cool in winter. Nothing to do there, though.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:45 PM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,965 times
As stated the commute would be unbelivable.

Just south of Flag is or was a military Recreation RV park on the opposite side of the Airport I-40 West side if memory serves me correctly. Not sure on length of stay there but it was nice when I stayed overnight. May work on a off and on or get to know the area 1st place.

My coworkers either live in Kachina Village or Downey Park areas. (Downey park is having a onslot of Gophers currently.) They would not or could not afford housing in Flagstaff proper and really enjoy those areas.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:25 PM

34 posts, read 166,917 times
I haven't met a single person who lives in Flagstaff and doesn't love the weather, unlike Phoenix, where most people say it's horrendously hot and they hate it for half the year. When (if) Flagstaff gets a lot of snow, it melts quickly because it is so sunny up here. Not only is the commute up I-17 long, but keep in mind that if there are bad accidents, the highway closes and there are no other routes. I have been stuck on I-17 for 2 hours waiting for a wreck to be cleared. Also, if there is a big snowstorm, it can be difficult to get up here as well. I do know people who commute from Sedona (warmer and beautiful, but as, if not more, expensive) and Prescott. Those are shorter drives, and both places are warmer than Flagstaff. Prescott is a bit cheaper, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona