Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 05:13 PM

140 posts, read 676,695 times

Advertisements

I'll be arriving in the Grand Canyon on Tuesday, the 11th.

Jeez, maybe I should nix something. But it's hard because all these places are so appealing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:42 PM

13,213 posts, read 21,827,501 times
So SecondHalf, is this going to be a hiking trip, or more of a drive-to-viewpoint kind of trip? I've certainly done my share of "This must be Belgium" (I love that expression) trips, and can't say I've regretted them. I love to drive and could probably do a drive-through of all those parks easily in 6 days, with possibly a short hike or two thrown into the mix. On the other hand, one could easily spend 6 days at any of these locations alone.

I'd driven through Zion several times for example while traveling and always wondered what the big deal was. Sure it was nice, but nothing really jumps out and grabs you. It wasn't until I spent a few days there hiking various areas that I was completely blown away by the place. It was nothing at all like the impression I'd formed by just driving through. On the other hand, southern UT and northern AZ are gorgeous no matter where you go. And there are some spectacular viewpoints at most of the parks (Bryce being particularly good in this regard as I recall, as well as the Grand Canyon.) Both approaches have merit, it all just depends on what's best for you.

I would recommend doing a LOT of research on the various parks and pick points of interest and/or hikes within the parks that especially interest you and plan your trip around those. Or go for the "Belgium" approach and hit everything you can while making notes about places you want to return to and spend more time in the future. Or maybe a hybrid approach again based around your research of the various areas. Big help I am, huh?

Oh, and just curious, but what are you going to do at the Grand Canyon (south rim, I presume) for two days? If you're doing one of the big hikes down into the canyon, then sure. But otherwise, I'd make it a one-day trip there and spend the two days in Page. I'm a huge fan of Page. There's way more to the place than just the slot canyons. Horseshoe Bend, Toad Stools, Coyote Buttes, the Wave, Glen Canyon Dam, Lake Powell, are a few attractions that come to mind. BTW, Lower Antelope Canyon didn't require a guide the last time I checked. Just pay a few bucks and self-guide yourself! No crowds either. But that was a few years ago and things might be different now. Oh, and I'd skip Flagstaff too, but that's just me.

Spend all the time you can traveling these areas. You won't regret it.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:41 PM

Hi kdog, Thanks for your reply! Due to some medical conditions this will mostly be a driving trip. I'll get out of the car to take a look at the views but probably won't be hiking or taking mule rides on the Grand Canyon. I wonder how much I'll miss by not doing those. If I felt I were going to miss a spectacular experience I'd take a mule ride. I gave myself 2 days because I figure there's a lot to see. I think I'm going to have to nix Zion. Why would you skip Flagstaff? It's one of the places I'm considering relocating to.

What would you recommend most in Page? I'm really looking forward to it.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:36 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
I agree to skip Flag....it's a very nice college/summer/historic town, but doesn't really have must-see stuff....

if you've never been to Sedona, I guess you should go....a bit crowded and touristy for a long-time Arizonan like me and there's much better scenery elsewhere in No Az and So Utah (but you have to backpack to it!)....drive down to Red Rock Crossing (google for directions) and just sit for a while and enjoy this famous spot....

Zion and Bryce are a bit different from each other.....Zion is a large, spectacular canyon....take the mandatory shuttle up the canyon bottom to the end and try to walk as far as you can up the path into the very famous Narrows.....other great stuff, too.....Bryce is on top of a large plateau at about 10K' elevation with views down from the top....almost opposite of Zion....will be cool/cold in Bryce.....

South Rim is much more popular than the North Rim only because historic transportation routes were closer to it....many feel the North Rim, though, is more spectacular.....choose only one or the other because your tight schedule doesn't allow both.....

Lower Antelope Canyon requires you go down and up a ladder, I think....can you do that with your condition?....other than that, you can visit the Hayden visitor center at the dam (nice view), take a boat tour on Lake Powell if one is available, hike a half-mile or so to Horseshoe Bend as kdog suggests (overlook of the river below the dam off 89 S of Page).....

google all the above for more info.....be ready for a ton of driving many hours between destinations....make hotel/motel reservations (may be expensive).....some areas will be cold at night.....the maps may show tantalizing "shortcuts", but be careful of dirt roads in a regular vehicle....

I highly recommend an overnight at the S Rim to enjoy sunset and sunrise over the canyon - one of the great views in the world....stay in the Park at one of the concessionaire-run places or just outside the S Rim in Tusayan.....

Zion and Bryce are probably each one-day drive-thrus if you must see all on your plan...please stop frequently and enjoy the views for more than a few minutes....Page might be an overnight place since you'll be driving a few hours to and fro just to get there....

Old 10-08-2011, 12:04 AM

Nothing wrong with a road trip! That helps solidify the strategy. I take back what I said about skipping Flagstaff. If you're thinking about relocating there then by all means visit! It's nice little city from what I've seen of it -- usually just passing through on my way to Page or wherever. Winters are too cold and stormy for me though.

You might be smart to nix Zion. I can only think of one particularly good drive-up viewpoint. Bryce has a bunch of nice viewpoints. I've done Bryce in a couple of hours just to check it out. (Would have stayed longer, but I had the wife, kids and sister-in-law in the car at the tail end of a cross-country drive and everyone was cranky.)

Goblin Valley is really cool and about 4 hours from Bryce north, so maybe too far out of the way. It's a really neat place though.

As far as Page goes, you're right that attractions without hiking are more limited. You did mention the slots, so I'm assuming you're up for a short hike anyway. Horseshoe Bend is really great, but requires about a 3/4 mile hike. First part goes up over a shallow sand dune which is the toughest part. Then you get to this, which will totally rock your world.

Toad Stools is a neat area and required very little walking as I recall.

The Glen Canyon Dam is hard to miss.

Lots of viewpoints along Lake Powell. This one is just east of the dam.

That's my buddy in the red jacket taking pictures, not taking a... never mind.

You can drive to the Vermilion Cliffs and Marble Canyon. I've driven by there but never stopped. Although I've heard good things about the area.

The Wave is out because it's a rugged hike. South Coyote Buttes would be amazing if you can get someone to take you back there. It's hard to find and requires many miles of off-road travel, some of which is very deep sand, 4x4 high-clearance only.

Rich67 on this forum has spent a bunch of time in Page. Maybe he can add to the list.

Old 10-08-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Zion is a large, spectacular canyon....take the mandatory shuttle up the canyon bottom to the end and try to walk as far as you can up the path into the very famous Narrows.
That's not a bad idea. It's an easy flat walk most of the way as I recall, right?

Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 AM

4,235 posts, read 14,061,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
That's not a bad idea. It's an easy flat walk most of the way as I recall, right?
yes, the very first part is practically paved....keep going to lose the crowds.....bring a pair of junky sneakers if you want to go further and walk up the creek itself

Old 10-09-2011, 11:34 AM

849 posts, read 2,922,504 times
Here's what I would do, based on 5 days. Drive into the South Rim, do the touristy Grand Canyon stuff, visitor center, Desert Watchtower. Check out the viewpoints along the rim, maybe take a short walk down Bright Angel Trail. Drive out of there to Page, stopping off to look at Marble Canyon and Navajo Bridge (slight detour toward Lees Ferry). Bunk down in Page. Set up a tour of Antelope Canyon for the next morning, if you can do it in advance.
Get up, take the Antelope slot tour. Drive out to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon after the morning tour. Explore out there for a while, then head back into Page toward evening, stopping off at Horseshoe Bend in the evening- it's quieter then, and you can get some nice pictures. Stay in Page again.
Get up early, drive toward Zion. Do Zion by just driving through, and maybe hook up with a bus tour there. Leave in the late afternoon, and head out to Bryce. Stay in Panguitch. Do Bryce in the evening- the colors are amazing. Get up in the morning and hike down to the bottom of Bryce via the Navajo Loop trail. Spend last night and head on back, stopping back in Zion as you leave. Bryce is beautiful, but there only good hikes are rim trails or Navajo to get in and out quickly and see the sights. Zion is awesome, and you absolutely need to hit some of the trails like the Narrows and Angels Landing to really immerse in it. Bryce can easily be done in one day. Grand Canyon, you need a couple days. Antelope slot is a quick 2 hour tour. Go in the morning for the best chance of sunbeams.
Personally, that's not enough time to see all these places, but this is how I would handle it if I wanted to just get a feel for it and come back to the places I really wanted to see again.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:32 PM

24,466 posts, read 25,999,509 times
^^ With all due respect, I revised rich67's trip to try and cut out some excess driving (Page to the North rim is about 3 1/2 hrs without stops. and to get everything done in Page without having to back track to Page. So using most of his words, I came up with this. However you do it, it's alot of driving.

Here's what I would do, based on 5 days. Drive into the South Rim, do the touristy Grand Canyon stuff, visitor center, Desert Watchtower. Check out the viewpoints along the rim, maybe take a short walk down Bright Angel Trail.

Drive out of there to Page on 89, stopping off to look at Horseshoe Bend and you can get some nice pictures (requires about 1 1/2 miles of hiking. Bunk down in Page. Set up a tour of Antelope Canyon for the next morning, if you can do it in advance. Get up, take the Antelope slot tour.

Drive out toward the North Rim of the Grand Canyon ( about 3 1/2 hrs with no stops) after the morning tour using 89 and 89A. Stop and see Navajo Bridge at Marble Canyon and possibly Lees Ferry.

Explore the North Rim for a while, then head back Jacobs Lake toward evening and bunk down at the Jacobs Lake Inn.

Get up early, drive toward Zion on 89. Do Zion by just driving through, and maybe hook up with a bus tour there. Leave in the late afternoon by backtracking through Zion to 89, and head out to Bryce. Stay in Panguitch. Do Bryce in the evening- the colors are amazing. Get up in the morning and hike down to the bottom of Bryce via the Navajo Loop trail. Spend last night and head on back.

Bryce is beautiful, but there only good hikes are rim trails or Navajo to get in and out quickly and see the sights. Zion is awesome, and you absolutely need to hit some of the trails like the Narrows and Angels Landing to really immerse in it. Bryce can easily be done in one day. Grand Canyon, you need a couple days. Antelope slot is a quick 2 hour tour. Go in the morning for the best chance of sunbeams.

Personally, that's not enough time to see all these places, but this is how I would handle it if I wanted to just get a feel for it and come back to the places I really wanted to see again.

I so agree with the above paragraph.

Oh, and while you are in Page drive down and see the bridge and dam at Lake Powell.

Last edited by motormaker; 10-09-2011 at 05:46 PM..

Old 10-09-2011, 09:33 PM

Wow, I really appreciate the thought you all have put into your replies. You've given me a lot to think about. When I drive to Page, will I be driving thru the north rim (sorry, I haven't mapped it.) By the way, after AZ and UT, I will be heading over the Rockies to CO. Then onto NM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona