Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 1,634 times

Advertisements

I live out in the boonies where I cannot pick up a television signal with a digital converter box and an antenna. I am about 60 miles from the closest transformer. It would be to much money and too much trouble to install a large antenna on my home so that is not an option.

I have two options. One of the options is to simply go without TV. The other option is to pay 20 bucks a month for basic economy cable. Basic economy cable are the cable stations that I would receive for free if I was living in a big city near a transformer. I am not interested in paying 50 bucks a month for standard cable. That is just too much money plus I do not watch much TV.

The bottom line is this would you pay 20 dollars a month for the stations listed below :

Univision
PBS
CBS
ABC
NBC
Fox
TV Land
WGN
Telemundo
Government Access
CW
My Network TV
AZ Channel 3

I would be getting 13 stations for 20 bucks a month.

The main question is would you pay the 20 bucks per month or just go without the TV ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 10:46 AM

39,074 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I live in the city (Goodyear) and have no TV signals either. I have Direct TV. Not much you can do about it. You might be able to get more channels for not a lot more money with satellite. It's pretty tough to have no TV.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,216,704 times
what about online tv like hulu or netflix?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:25 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
If I lived in the boonies . . . 50 bucks would be a bargain to me.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 AM

351 posts, read 974,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernAZman View Post
I live out in the boonies where I cannot pick up a television signal with a digital converter box and an antenna. I am about 60 miles from the closest transformer. It would be to much money and too much trouble to install a large antenna on my home so that is not an option.

I have two options. One of the options is to simply go without TV. The other option is to pay 20 bucks a month for basic economy cable. Basic economy cable are the cable stations that I would receive for free if I was living in a big city near a transformer. I am not interested in paying 50 bucks a month for standard cable. That is just too much money plus I do not watch much TV.

The bottom line is this would you pay 20 dollars a month for the stations listed below :

Univision
PBS
CBS
ABC
NBC
Fox
TV Land
WGN
Telemundo
Government Access
CW
My Network TV
AZ Channel 3

The main question is would you pay the 20 bucks per month or just go without the TV ?
It sounds like you aren't much of a TV watcher as it is... why not go without? $20/mo is just too much for 13 channels in my opinion ($1.50 per free channel???... sheesh.)

Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,249,457 times
I think that you would find that there is very little that you can't find on-line.

Where I used to live, I got all the network channels, plus a PBS channel. When I moved up here, I could only get two network channels (on a good day) and a rather lame local PBS station that ran mostly kid stuff.

When they did the big switch over, I did the test to see if I could use the converter box and it turned out that I couldn't. Since I refuse to pay for Direct or Dish and get a bunch of channels I would never use, I just went without.

But since then, I have found there is very little that I want to watch that I can't find on-line. I livestream a local news program and can watch the MSNBC shows (Meet the Press, Hardball, etc.), as well as The Today Show. I watch The Good Wife, Desperate Housewives, Dexter (and other cable shows, like Weeds, Californication, etc.), Dancing With the Stars, Grey's Anatomy, CSI, and even General Hospital and The Young and the Restless. For some shows, I use Hulu or X-finity; a lot of shows you can go directly to the network's website. Some network websites even have "the oldies" available - a few days ago, I noticed that NBC has the old Alfred Hitchcock show.

I also have Netflix, so lots to watch there.

Sometimes I have to go to Watch TV Online - TV Shows - Series, Episodes, Seasons - SideReel to find a link to a show - and that means having to deal with Megavideo, which only allows a certain number of minutes, unless you're willing to pay for the Megavideo Premium (or whatever it's called), which I'm not.

Sometimes I can't find something but not all that often. You just have to make a bit of an effort usually, though, to find what you're looking for. And if I can't find something, well, I get over it.

Now, if you're on dial-up, you might have a problem.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
It kind of depends on what you like. I haven't had TV in years. Cinebar made some excellent points, I will add that many people do post complete shows on you tube. If you like old TV shows, and old movies there are plenty on You Tube. I read the online newspapers, and get my weather from wunderground. Why do I need TV, to watch the commercials??

Old 10-28-2011, 05:41 PM

221 posts, read 597,614 times
I have a vacation place in the mountains and do fine with DVD's and a decent internet connection. TV is mainly ads.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
I don't know if this will help or not, especially not knowing where you're located, but when I lived about 50 miles north of Phoenix I picked up an antenna from Fry's electronics that had a 160 mile range, mounted it on a 20 foot pole and ended up getting all the Phoenix stations, Tucson stations and Prescott stations.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:46 AM

339 posts, read 832,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northernAZman View Post

Univision
PBS
CBS
ABC
NBC
Fox
TV Land
WGN
Telemundo
Government Access
CW
My Network TV
AZ Channel 3

I live in the city and I do pay for cable because I can't get a TV signal without cable. Ever since the frequency change they made to TV frequencies just about everyone needs cable to get basic TV. I had a converter box and that did not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona