U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 PM

67 posts, read 100,244 times
Default What part of AZ is right for an unusual person like me?

I have read a lot of threads and posts about different cities in Arizona but opinions can be so contrary that I am having a little bit of a hard time envisioning what areas are really like. We plan to visit AZ early in 2012, but would love to have a heads-up on some areas to look at.

Perhaps I should describe my wife and myself and allow people to give me suggestions as to where they think we might enjoy living...

We have traditional values, are friendly, sociable people, love the wide-open spaces, love all things Americana, especially Route 66! Love history, Antique shopping, Elvis, Cowboy boots, old cars, RV's, day trips, mom & pop restaurants, historical buildings, ghost towns, abandoned motels, etc. We are most comfortable in towns of under 50,000.

We are NOT artsy, honestly don't care about "cultural diversity", don't care about night-life or fancy stores or malls...

We like the idea of finding a house with 1 acre or more of property for under $100,000 where we can park our 40 foot Bus conversion without being hassled by the city or by neighbors. So what do you think?

Thanks,
Marc & Dee
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 10:36 PM

726 posts, read 1,024,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
I have read a lot of threads and posts about different cities in Arizona but opinions can be so contrary that I am having a little bit of a hard time envisioning what areas are really like. We plan to visit AZ early in 2012, but would love to have a heads-up on some areas to look at.

Perhaps I should describe my wife and myself and allow people to give me suggestions as to where they think we might enjoy living...

We have traditional values, are friendly, sociable people, love the wide-open spaces, love all things Americana, especially Route 66! Love history, Antique shopping, Elvis, Cowboy boots, old cars, RV's, day trips, mom & pop restaurants, historical buildings, ghost towns, abandoned motels, etc. We are most comfortable in towns of under 50,000.

We are NOT artsy, honestly don't care about "cultural diversity", don't care about night-life or fancy stores or malls...

We like the idea of finding a house with 1 acre or more of property for under $100,000 where we can park our 40 foot Bus conversion without being hassled by the city or by neighbors. So what do you think?

Thanks,
Marc & Dee

Check out Safford....great place.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:44 AM

1,766 posts, read 1,640,941 times
you'd be happy all over rural AZ

Old 11-05-2011, 07:12 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,291,499 times
Mohave County might just be where you would want to park Kingman, Dolan Springs, White Hills etc. lots of options in the unincorporated areas or even in the city limits.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
Mohave County might just be where you would want to park Kingman, Dolan Springs, White Hills etc. lots of options in the unincorporated areas or even in the city limits.
Through my own research and observation I had a feeling that Mohave County would be one of the top suggestions... Of course, Route 66 runs through there.

I also like the idea of warmer temps through the winter... (Actually more my wife. She thinks it's too cold where we are now in Charlotte, NC.) That being said, the 110+ summer highs of Bullhead City do NOT appeal to me, but I could handle average highs of under 100.

As for our needs, we would need to be at least near to civilization for good internet service and shipping. I make a living through the internet, so those two things are crucial.

One big advantage for us is that we can literally "park" our Coach and "try out" an area first. From looking on Craigslist, I think we could easily rent a small space month-to-month to work out of before making a final commitment.

Perhaps I should add that we are Christians (Southern Baptists), so we would like at least a couple choices of churches in our own denomination or similar protestant denomination.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:01 AM

I took a road trip through old Route 66 in the mid 1990's and actually broke down between Kingman and Vegas. I wound up having my car towed to Kingman and sitting around over the weekend waiting for the shop to open back up on Monday. Apparently there were "Blue laws" there at that time. Are there still? Other than that, I don't remember much about the town given the circumstances.

I also noticed that on the map there is "Kingman" and "New Kingman-Butler", is the difference as simple as the older part of town vs. the newer part of town? If so, is the older part of Kingman run down and depressing or is the town's still alive and it's history valued?

Marc

Old 11-05-2011, 09:43 AM

6,159 posts, read 9,749,575 times
Kingman is great and I think you'd really enjoy living in the old Rt66 area. There's a ton of history in the area and so much to explore.

Kingman does get cold in the winter. Not as cold as Flagstaff or Prescott, though. It can get down into the 20's, and even teens at night, and some days it might not get out of the 40's. Bullhead and Havasu are nicer in the winter, but hellish in the summer. Otherwise, I think you'd like the weather in Kingman a lot. One can't minimize the effect of the dry heat. I now live in the SF Bay area, and I can tell you that 85F here feels hotter than 100F in Kingman due to the higher humidity in CA. I greatly prefer Arizona heat.

Any blue laws you may have experienced in the 90's would have been state laws, not city laws. The only two that I'm aware of were Sunday AM liquor sales, and 1:00 AM bar closing times. Neither of those seems particularly onerous, so I won't ask you why you felt limited by them. LOL. Regardless, even those have been repealed.

New Kingman/Butler is one of the older parts of town. In fact, it's not even in Kingman proper, it's in an unincorporated area outside of the city limits. Housing prices are very low in Butler, so you'll find all manners of folks living there. Being outside of the city limits, there doesn't seem to be any control of neighborhood blight and you'll see some really dumpy (literally) places. You'll see some nice pockets as well, but the dumpy areas will still be nearby. I think the lots would be way to small for you there anyway. The newer areas of Kingman are really nice, but you pay more. It sounds like you'd be happier moving a bit further out into the county where you can get some land at an affordable price.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Kingman is great and I think you'd really enjoy living in the old Rt66 area. There's a ton of history in the area and so much to explore.

Kingman does get cold in the winter. Not as cold as Flagstaff or Prescott, though. It can get down into the 20's, and even teens at night, and some days it might not get out of the 40's. Bullhead and Havasu are nicer in the winter, but hellish in the summer. Otherwise, I think you'd like the weather in Kingman a lot. One can't minimize the effect of the dry heat. I now live in the SF Bay area, and I can tell you that 85F here feels hotter than 100F in Kingman due to the higher humidity in CA. I greatly prefer Arizona heat.

Any blue laws you may have experienced in the 90's would have been state laws, not city laws. The only two that I'm aware of were Sunday AM liquor sales, and 1:00 AM bar closing times. Neither of those seems particularly onerous, so I won't ask you why you felt limited by them. LOL. Regardless, even those have been repealed.

New Kingman/Butler is one of the older parts of town. In fact, it's not even in Kingman proper, it's in an unincorporated area outside of the city limits. Housing prices are very low in Butler, so you'll find all manners of folks living there. Being outside of the city limits, there doesn't seem to be any control of neighborhood blight and you'll see some really dumpy (literally) places. You'll see some nice pockets as well, but the dumpy areas will still be nearby. I think the lots would be way to small for you there anyway. The newer areas of Kingman are really nice, but you pay more. It sounds like you'd be happier moving a bit further out into the county where you can get some land at an affordable price.
I think you are right... We'd probably be happier outside of the city limits as long as we are within reasonable driving distance for shipping, groceries, etc. The only memory I have related to the Blue laws was that the K-Mart was cloesd on Sunday. Not a big deal to me either way, just curious.

the colder temps you mention don't sound too bad to me. no worse than here in the winter, and the higher humidity here in NC makes the cold seem worse, just like it makes the heat seem worse in the summer. And I know all about muggy weather! The Charlotte are is absolutely brutal in the summer. Very high humidity levels. I even had a friend come up from Florida one summer and said it was worse here than there!

Old 11-05-2011, 10:09 PM

183 posts, read 166,849 times
Sierra Vista, Benson, Globe, Casa Grande.

Old 11-05-2011, 10:47 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will research all the areas mentioned.

That being said, I am more and more liking the idea of Kingman. Like I said, I am a big Route 66 junkie and love the idea of being close to it. Also do costuming and being within close driving distance to Las Vegas would be a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona