Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:46 PM

68 posts, read 225,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
"as depicted in the "Grapes of Wrath""....

I felt like that in the early 70's, only reversed....going from the open society of Calfornia's Santa Cruz mountains to the middle of the AR Ozarks where our closest neighbor was 2 miles away...we were so loaded down that the family dog had to ride in the cab of the truck we were towing with the U-Haul truck....what a ride life has been....We now RV fulltime.
Enjoy your trip west and your new adventure...AZ is a great place to explore.

Regards
Gemstone1
I suppose when we leave we will also technically be "full timers". At least until we decide where we want to plant our roots. Just curious, what state do you claim for residency?

Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 PM

339 posts, read 832,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
Thanks for the well-wishes. Kind of funny, it does seem like such an adventure if you have never done that kind of thing (and I have not)... But when you think about the 1850's when people pulled up stakes, cut all ties and took off with their entire families in a covered wagon across the untamed land with no roads, facing hostile Indians, unknown weather, risk of starvation, disease and wild animals it makes us seem like absolute wimps! LOL... Even the dust bowl travelers of the 1930's as depicted in the "Grapes of Wrath" had it easy compared to the first settlers.
Yes so true not to mention having no way to communicate with those left behind like other relatives and friends once the left. No phones, email, computers, or anything like that. Once they decided to go they were GONE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejumpsuitman View Post
Well the wife and I have started burning our bridges for the move! We have spent the last few days listing our possessions on Craigslsit. It sure is easier to move when you are actually getting rid of your stuff as opposed to transporting it!

I have enjoyed seeing our stuff walk out the door, leaving me with cash in hand. It's funny how many items of value I have found in closets that we completely forgot about. We are also getting in touch with family, letting them know of our radical decision to move 2000 miles away and offering them the chance to grab some of our stuff before it sells.

Although we plan on staying full time in our Bus Conversion and exploring the state, we do ultimately plan to settle in and buy a home somewhere. We are mostly attracted to the area along the I-40 corridor.

But my question is this... Are thrift stores very common in Arizona? And do they generally offer quality stuff? Here in NC, it has become a hobby to go thrift store shopping and it is not unlike Antiquing in a lot of ways. You can score some wonderful and unique items at thrift stores around here. Just wondering if I can realistically expect the same kind of thing in AZ. Thanks.
Yes there are lots of thrift stores and dollar stores here. I love the Tanque verde swap meet too, lots of cool things there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Thrift stores, sure AZ has plenty of them. Even better are the flea markets which are usually only open on the weekends. There's a big one right on Rt66 just outside Kingman to the east, and another one just into Golden Valley on Highway 68 between Kingman and Bullhead. All sorts of cool junk to look at. I too am jealous of your upcoming adventure. I'm thinking Jack Kerouac, On the Road. Sounds like a blast.

Incidentally, there are lots of old hippie buses lying fallow out in overgrown yards and deserts from people who probably did the same thing as you only the 60's or whatever. I should have taken more pictures of them when I lived there.
Yes, I love the Tanque Verde one it's pretty cool.

Tanque Verde Swap Meet — Family Fun for Everyone - Food • Shopping • Ice Cream • Rides • Entertainment

Old 12-18-2011, 04:57 PM

19 posts, read 43,584 times
Have you started your journey to Arizona yet? I couldn't find all the posts you made, so I am having to write to you instead. We are just waiting to sell our home and going to move back west also. Kingman is being considered, and also Henderson NV. Can you keep me posted on your adventures so I can follow you via, internet? I love your bus, we plan on getting a small vintgage trailer to go on small trips when we get back there. We use to have a couple of original teardrop trailers, LOVED THEM, however sold them and going to try something else. We went back to Arizona lst Sept, but didn't even go to Kingman and check it out, we were in Henderson and then Riverside CA. Thanks, oldschoolgirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona