U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:32 PM

13,855 posts, read 16,490,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino37 View Post
I like Phoenix way better. Way more job opportunities and entertainment options. When I lived in Tucson, I was bored out of my mind. There was nothing to do there. The whole city revolves around the U of A campus. I couldn't wait to move back to Phoenix. Downtown Tempe and Downtown Scottsdale are particularly fun and exciting, with a lot of young people and lots of entertainment. Of course Phoenix is much bigger than Tucson, so it depends on if you like the big city feel. For me, Phoenix is way better.
The OP hasn't been back since posting this thread in December of last year. However, your opinions may be helpful to others with the same question.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
Let's stop beating around the bush people. Tucson is closer to Mexico, therefore closer to drug running and human smuggling. Phoenix isn't much better but I don't see how the extra 100 miles from the border couldn't hurt. I choose Tempe. More jobs, better selection of housing quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 04:28 PM

5,032 posts, read 3,452,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardsfan1982 View Post
Let's stop beating around the bush people. Tucson is closer to Mexico, therefore closer to drug running and human smuggling. Phoenix isn't much better but I don't see how the extra 100 miles from the border couldn't hurt. I choose Tempe. More jobs, better selection of housing quality.
So what if it's closer to Mexico? It's still the United States.

The OP already has a job, so a "better selection" is irrelevant. By that same token, another poster's friend has a job in Tucson, yet can't find one in Phoenix. In other words, it really depends upon what kind of job one is looking for.

I don't know what you meam by "better selection of housing quality". It's not like everyone in Tucson lives in a grass hut.

Last edited by CheyDee; 05-04-2012 at 04:37 PM..

Old 05-04-2012, 06:46 PM

108 posts, read 171,251 times
Default I know both of these cities

I know both Tempe and Tucson very well.

Tucson is primarily ghetto. There are some nice areas in Tucson but most of the city is ghetto. Lots and lots of crime in Tucson. I never felt safe in Tucson . Tucson PD has never been able to get a handle on crime. Tempe PD does a great job and they have been able to gain a grip on crime except for theft. The biggest problem in Tempe is theft. Tempe is a thieves haven but it is a safe city. There are major problems with theft in Tempe. The ghetto areas in Tempe are not that bad. The ghetto areas in Tucson are "life or death". Tempe is a much safer area and you can walk the streets at night in Tempe. I would not recommend walking the streets at night in Tucson.

I would choose Tempe and just make sure you do not leave items outside that you do not want to lose. If you take some simple precautions then Tempe is a great place to live. Simple things like keeping your garage, car and home doors locked.

Tempe is a good city with lots to offer.

The University of Arizona is the only good thing Tucson has going for it. Tucson is trouble. Tucson is primarily ghetto there is really nothing more I can say about Tucson.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:19 PM

484 posts, read 458,405 times
Lots of hyperbole here.

Look, if you are not a criminal, crime will not affect you much in either city other than rare property crime. (car stereo stolen if parked in the wrong place, etc.)

The Phoenix area is going to offer much more in terms of night life, up-scale shopping, and major sporting venues. It also feels more bland to many people without much of an identity and one big sprawled out metro. It does offer outdoor opportunities but it is noticeably hotter than Tucson. Does Phoenix have a nickname??

The Tucson area has easier access to "big" hiking, bicycling that is about to be rated platinum (top rating), more of a southwest culture feeling to it. It also feels a lot less developed, less cosmopolitan, and more like a town than a city. Tucson is known as the Old Pueblo and is one of the oldest continually inhabited areas in North America.

So, if you have an equivalent job in either city, it comes down to what you like to do outside of work.

City, nightlife stuff: Phoenix

Smaller town, outdoors: Tucson

You will find that a lot of Phoenicians do not like Tucson and the reverse is also true. Frankly, we are often asked to discuss the differences but there are many similarities to the two cities in the Sonoran Desert.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times
There's probably more jobs in chandler alone than Tucson. Legal jobs anyway.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:01 PM

13,820 posts, read 11,368,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
I know both Tempe and Tucson very well.

Tucson is primarily ghetto. There are some nice areas in Tucson but most of the city is ghetto. Lots and lots of crime in Tucson. I never felt safe in Tucson . Tucson PD has never been able to get a handle on crime. Tempe PD does a great job and they have been able to gain a grip on crime except for theft. The biggest problem in Tempe is theft. Tempe is a thieves haven but it is a safe city. There are major problems with theft in Tempe. The ghetto areas in Tempe are not that bad. The ghetto areas in Tucson are "life or death". Tempe is a much safer area and you can walk the streets at night in Tempe. I would not recommend walking the streets at night in Tucson.

I would choose Tempe and just make sure you do not leave items outside that you do not want to lose. If you take some simple precautions then Tempe is a great place to live. Simple things like keeping your garage, car and home doors locked.

Tempe is a good city with lots to offer.

The University of Arizona is the only good thing Tucson has going for it. Tucson is trouble. Tucson is primarily ghetto there is really nothing more I can say about Tucson.
I think there is too much hyperbole in this post. But I do have to say it seems like the homes and neighborhoods in Phoenix are much better taken care of (grass or at least desert landscaping, cars not parked out in the front yard, no ugly gray gravel or bare dirt). Many Tucson neighborhoods are safe but they look really dumpy. Tucsonans are kind of defensive about this. They insist their yards reflect the "natural desert". The truth is the natrual desert around Tucson is a lot less barren looking than many Tucson yards.

But in some ways Tucson is less bland and it does have more character and less flash than Phoenix/Tempe. Unfortunately, sometimes it's a dumpy kind of character.

The crime between the two metro areas as a whole aren't really that much different. But since the Phoenix area is larger, it's probably easier to isolate yourself from the bad areas.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:22 PM

108 posts, read 171,251 times
Default No Hyperbole in my Post

mysticaltyger

Maybe you and I have a different perception of what is ghetto and what is not ghetto.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:20 PM

8,240 posts, read 2,628,928 times
Tucson. I'll say I prefer Phoenix and leave it at that. Tho central Phoenix is cool IMHO.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:23 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,152,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demps View Post
mysticaltyger

Maybe you and I have a different perception of what is ghetto and what is not ghetto.
Hyperbole would be using the term "ghetto" to describe any city or any area in Arizona. Anyone who has any familiarity with Detroit, Flint, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Chicago, or New York would agree that Arizona does not have "ghettos." Let's tone down the wild exaggeration and get back to the topic, please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona