U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 06:19 AM

2,814 posts, read 5,773,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas never leaves you! View Post
Thank you ArizonaBear. I would be over there in a heartbeat if your government would allow it. I appreciate the US has their fair share of problems especially drugs and homicide. However the gulf between the criminals and the law abiding citizen is enormous. This isn't so in the UK. A few years ago me and my crewmate were attacked and badly assaulted by a drunken mob of approximately 25+ persons. This worse thing about this incident was the 'mob' were schoolkids (12-15 years old) from a small affluent typically English village. Both me and my crewmate were attacked with bottles and wooden planks. Even worse is that this is not a one off incident and is one of many examples I could give. What can you do? Pick yourself up dust yourself off and keep trying.
Thank you all of you for your kind words of support. All of us appreciate it. Not only here but everywhere you find us police.

I gotta admit that of all the people I have come into contact with I have NEVER encountered anti-Anericanism from a UK cop. Usually when I need to call one to my house they come in, take down the details of the complaint, and then sit down for a friendly natter. One even picked up one of my husband's guitars and started off a mini-jam session My only complaint has been the lack of power the government gives the police to deal with youth disorder, crimes committed by ethnic "minorities," and not allowing the police to arm themselves sufficiently. Too many police constables have been killed within the last two years while trying to apprehend or arrest a suspect. I was glad to see that Muzzaker Shah was convicted for killing PC Sharon Beshenivsky.

Old 09-07-2007, 06:52 AM

21,146 posts, read 38,373,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
I gotta admit that of all the people I have come into contact with I have NEVER encountered anti-Anericanism from a UK cop. Usually when I need to call one to my house they come in, take down the details of the complaint, and then sit down for a friendly natter. One even picked up one of my husband's guitars and started off a mini-jam session My only complaint has been the lack of power the government gives the police to deal with youth disorder, crimes committed by ethnic "minorities," and not allowing the police to arm themselves sufficiently. Too many police constables have been killed within the last two years while trying to apprehend or arrest a suspect. I was glad to see that Muzzaker Shah was convicted for killing PC Sharon Beshenivsky.
Interesting.

Here in the States despite some prejudice against darkerskinned people; an English Black or similar tends to much less problem here------due in large part to us Americans as a group still having positive feelings toward England. The Halo Effect as it were.

And for irony; the City Manager of Cave Creek (N of Phoenix/Scottsdale) is Usama Abujbarah and the Fire Chief of Phoenix is Bob Khan, a native born/raised Phoenician.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:22 AM

62 posts, read 372,377 times
Default jam session with police

Quote:
How often do you call the police to your house???

Old 09-07-2007, 09:00 AM

Default you living in the wrong area i think

Quote:
Hi Anna Maria. You are right, there ARE parents who do not give their children alcohol. I am one of those parents. But there is no denying that the parents who encourage drinking far out-weigh those who do not. Parents believe they are teaching their children to be "responsible" drinkers if they start them out at home first. This has been on ongoing debate through many newspapers in the UK. Even Jeremy Clarkson is encouraging binge drinking and is telling people it is HEALTHY to binge drink! Although parents in France do give their children watered down wine it does not dismiss the fact that the UK has the worst reputation throughout Europe for binge drinking. It is not acceptable in France, Germany, or other countries in Europe. Girls in the UK, especially Newcastle and Essex, also have worldwide reputations for having the "loosest" morals, which is why many single European men (and some married ones) have weekend "business trips" to Newcastle. In Newcastle, where I live, it is said that any girl in town on a Friday or Saturday night can be bought for a drink. According to articles in newspapers like the London Times and the Daily Mail, British girls are worse binge drinkers than British males and they are turning towns all over Britain into "mini Ibizas." According to recent statistics 15 year old girls drink an average of 12 units of alcohol per week. The Daily Mail also notes that the UK is one of the WORST binge drinking countries in the WORLD!

According to Professor Plant:

Professor Plant, who works at the Alcohol and Health Research Trust at the University of the West of England, added: "Thanks to Government policy, alcohol is cheaper and more widely available than ever.

"They pushed through legislation on licensing hours despite misgivings by doctors, judges, and police chiefs, and against the wishes of two thirds of the population.

"Now we have a situation where every town across the UK has a 'mini-Ibiza' at its centre. Something has to be done.

"We are one of the worst countries for binge-drinking in the world. And the situation is getting worse. It is spiralling out of control.

"We are drinking double what we drank in 1992, and there are twice as many alcohol related deaths."

He added: "The growing epidemic of alcohol problems in the UK now requires courageous political action to deal with a huge and tragic toll of accidents, violence, public disorder illness and premature death.

"The driving force behind this epidemic has been rising alcohol consumption.

"Current Government policies on alcohol now need to be revised. Action is urgently needed to protect the health and safety of the public. "

Regarding my comments about Muslims, they are accurate. You have not lived in this country since 1998. Funnily enough, this is the year when Abu Hamza really got the Islamic jihad movement going in the UK and it has grown ever since. Current figures show that at least 16,000 Muslim youths are following the teachings of radical imams in the UK, at least 3,000 have been sent from the UK to Pakistan, Afghanistan or other terrorists training camps to learn techniques in bomb building, poisoning, combat, etc... At least 200 are known to have participated in or planned terrorists attacks and they are still running free on the streets. A lot has changed since you last lived here. Next time you visit the UK have a wander around the Finsbury Park area of London, and then come up to Newcastle and visit Elswick, Fenham, Benwell, Stanhope Street area, Throckley, the West Road area and other "no-go" areas for non-Muslims. By the way, Throckley is known as "Little Beirut" here in the UK.

The universities USED to be first class but that is quickly changing as well. With more and more pubs operating on campus many students are now showing up drunk for courses. Pretty scary thought since one of the universities suffering this problem is the one where medical training for doctors, surgeons and nurses takes place. Many of the university courses have been "dumbed down" in order to make things easier for those who really do not have the aptitude to attend university. My husband was attending one course at University where the professor became so stressed out and disgusted over having to try and explain to the non-English speaking students or those with no aptitude that he walked out in the middle of instruction and put in his resignation.

The UK does have some of the most beautiful countryside in the world, but that is not reason enough to stay here

Yes, there is good and bad everywhere, but in some places that "bad" is way too extreme.

As a side note, I'm sure everyone knows that the Olympics will be held in London in 2012. But do you know what is being proposed to be built right next to the Olympic Village? London Markaz, which will be Europe's largest mosque, expected to accommodate more than 40,000 worshippers and intended to display Islam's power in the UK. This mosque will be funded by Tablighi Jamaat, who the FBI and French Intelligence agencies consider the most significant recruiters for Al Qaeda in Europe. Tablighi Jamaat will also be using the mosque as their new UK headquarters. To add insult to injury, just one mile away from the proposed site of the mosque, Kingsway International Christian Centre, the largest church in Europe is about to be destroyed in order to make way for the Olympic Village.
Hi Cianna

Yes l left in 98 but still go back 2/3 times per year and see my friends and relatives all of whom are not binge drinkers or on drugs or teenage single parents

To reply to some of your points
1) Jeremy Clarkson is a **** and only totally pea brain people would take him seriously
2) Germany and Ireland have terrible binge drinking problems. Ireland has had a terrible prob with drugs since the beginning of 1990, remember Veronica Guernan (sp).
3) Essex Girls, white stilletos and dancing roung their handbags and easy girls, thats a standing joke and been going on for years, is it true of all Essex Girls, of course its not,
4) Newcastle, always been a whole as is Bradford, where mostly Pakistani Muslims, but hard working, factory owners
5) not all Muslims are Islamic Jihad extremists as not all Irish are IRA supporters.
6) re Little Beirut, like little Ireland in Boston?
7) Finsbury Park is a crappy dive and always has been
8) The UK is huge and diverse and has its good areas and forget it areas, just as the States
9) Can i remind you that the terrorists that drove those planes into WTC were living in the USA and there have been lots of US born muslims involved in AL Quaeda and found in Pakistan or Afghanistan training for Jihad, so its not just a problem in the UK

I could go on,

You obviously not happy in the UK and think the grass is greener across the pond. I would say that upon reading a lot of posts on this site the US has all the same problems as the UK,

I have travelled extensively with my job and have found each and every country to have problems and you simply can not generalise and put all people into boxes just because they are Muslim. Jewish, Irish, Black, Italian etc , that is what i call as small minded and even racist.

I am moving to US very soon with my job and i know there will be good and bad in the country and amongst the people but I WONT say that ALL AMERCIANS do this or that etc etc that is simply not fair and prob not true

Anna Maire

Old 09-07-2007, 09:09 AM

Default weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellie View Post
yup! the weather is awful, just had the worst winter in a long time also

Worse than Ireland.

I have just come back from Ireland , it had rained constantly for 52 days , in JUne and July, the height of the summer???

Old 09-07-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Interesting.

Here in the States despite some prejudice against darkerskinned people; an English Black or similar tends to much less problem here------due in large part to us Americans as a group still having positive feelings toward England. The Halo Effect as it were.

And for irony; the City Manager of Cave Creek (N of Phoenix/Scottsdale) is Usama Abujbarah and the Fire Chief of Phoenix is Bob Khan, a native born/raised Phoenician.
When I was still in the States I never had a problem with blacks, Muslims or Hindu people. A number of very good reasons have been put forth as to why Muslims and other asylum seekers become more easily integrated into American society. One of the reasons is that people LEGALLY immigrating to the United States or seeking asylum MUST become employed as soon as they are issued a work permit and they are not allowed to become reliant on the welfare system. This helps them to integrate with others within the community. In the UK it is a very different matter. Although technically an immigrant to the UK is not supposed to apply for benefits (welfare) for anywhere from one to five years this rule is generally not applied, especially when so many immigrants and "asylum seekers" arrive without any sort of documentation or proof of their identity and where they actually come from. In the United States these people could (and would) be denied access to stay in the country and they would be deported. But EU rules state that these "stateless persons" must be allowed to stay, but they can be sent to another EU country. The UK is considered the "last stop" in this chain so an immigrant/asylum seeker might be sent from Germany to France and then France will "not see" these people being put on a ferry to go over to the UK. The UK has nowhere that they can send these people to so they must be allowed to stay. Many people seek out the shores of England because the benefits (welfare) are easy to aquire and often pay more than employment would. Instead of being expected to find employment and integrate with British society these immigrants/asylum seekers are encouraged to live in other Muslim communities and relie on the "Nanny State" to support them. This causes division among the different cultures.

I also think that in the United States the ultra-moderate Muslims do not have to fear retribution from hardline Muslims if they mix and integrate. They are pretty much left alone to make their own free choices. In the UK the decent, moderate Muslims have a lot to fear from the hardliners and for very good reason. They have already seen their mosques taken over by extremists jihadis and their moderate religious leaders beaten up and refused entry back into the mosques. There are good Muslims, but in the UK they are not very willing to reveal themselves.

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna Maria View Post
Hi Cianna

Yes l left in 98 but still go back 2/3 times per year and see my friends and relatives all of whom are not binge drinkers or on drugs or teenage single parents

To reply to some of your points
1) Jeremy Clarkson is a **** and only totally pea brain people would take him seriously
2) Germany and Ireland have terrible binge drinking problems. Ireland has had a terrible prob with drugs since the beginning of 1990, remember Veronica Guernan (sp).
3) Essex Girls, white stilletos and dancing roung their handbags and easy girls, thats a standing joke and been going on for years, is it true of all Essex Girls, of course its not,
4) Newcastle, always been a whole as is Bradford, where mostly Pakistani Muslims, but hard working, factory owners
5) not all Muslims are Islamic Jihad extremists as not all Irish are IRA supporters.
6) re Little Beirut, like little Ireland in Boston?
7) Finsbury Park is a crappy dive and always has been
8) The UK is huge and diverse and has its good areas and forget it areas, just as the States
9) Can i remind you that the terrorists that drove those planes into WTC were living in the USA and there have been lots of US born muslims involved in AL Quaeda and found in Pakistan or Afghanistan training for Jihad, so its not just a problem in the UK

I could go on,

You obviously not happy in the UK and think the grass is greener across the pond. I would say that upon reading a lot of posts on this site the US has all the same problems as the UK,

I have travelled extensively with my job and have found each and every country to have problems and you simply can not generalise and put all people into boxes just because they are Muslim. Jewish, Irish, Black, Italian etc , that is what i call as small minded and even racist.

I am moving to US very soon with my job and i know there will be good and bad in the country and amongst the people but I WONT say that ALL AMERCIANS do this or that etc etc that is simply not fair and prob not true

Anna Maire
Anna Maria, I'm not going to try to tear apart your response and attempt to disprove everything you've said. We all have different ways of viewing our surroundings and everyone has different standards that they use to make determinations about people and places. What is considered abnormal or immoral to me might be very normal or moral to you But I will say this. After spending hours and hours in research, trying to figure out if my problems with the UK were a personal thing or a cultural thing, it appears to be a bit of both. I'll see if I can find the interesting article I came across which stated that of all the people in the world Americans have the hardest time adjusting as immigrants to a new country and culture. I have met some good peole here and I will cherish them as friends forever, but for me the culture clash is just too much to accept and live with

I will disagree with you on one point. Although the suicide bombers of 9/11 were at that time residing in the USA, they were NOT born and raised here, only temporary residents while they carried out their plot. Most of them had spent some time living in London, learning at the feet of Abu Hamza and after they received their instructions they left for the United States.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Anna Maria, I'm not going to try to tear apart your response and attempt to disprove everything you've said.

Hi Cianna

Thats good and i hope you haven't seen my responses as trying to pull your posts apart because that was not my intention

We all have different ways of viewing our surroundings and everyone has different standards that they use to make determinations about people and places.

This is exactly my point, its your immediate surroundings that will give you your opinions. If you are living in or around a dumpy area you will feel like this. Now i am not saying Newcastle is a dump BUT dont think its one of the UK's nicer spots Sorry

What is considered abnormal or immoral to me might be very normal or moral to you But I will say this.

I totally agree here but we dont all have the same standards and way of thinking, i have had to learn this through constant disappointment with humans as i have very high standards and morals.

After spending hours and hours in research, trying to figure out if my problems with the UK were a personal thing or a cultural thing, it appears to be a bit of both. I'll see if I can find the interesting article I came across which stated that of all the people in the world Americans have the hardest time adjusting as immigrants to a new country and culture.

I would love to read that. I live in Dubai and the Amercians i know here all seem well adjusted and happy otherwise they would go home. When i was in London my son went to school with lots of Americans who were living in London and they loved it and were well adjsuted.

Then again London is soo different from Newcastle Maybe you should try the south ( not Essex) ha ha , although some parts of Essex are now very well to do

I have met some good peole here and I will cherish them as friends forever, but for me the culture clash is just too much to accept and live with

I am glad to hear it

I will disagree with you on one point. Although the suicide bombers of 9/11 were at that time residing in the USA, they were NOT born and raised here, only temporary residents while they carried out their plot.

Ah i didnt say that these particular nuts that were respnsible for the hideous 9/11 were born in USA but they were living in US! Thats where they got their pilot training from but there have been US born guys found in Pakistan and Afghanistan at the training camps, i remember one young guy who had grown the beard the whole thing and watching his shocked and mortified parents on CNN saying that they didnt have a clue what he was involved with, this was a normal US family dragged into this war of terrorist and jihad
Most of them had spent some time living in London, learning at the feet of Abu Hamza and after they received their instructions they left for the United States.
\\

See here i agree that this guy needs to be deported or sent to prision so he can stop spreading his hatred.

This guy is such a bad representation of Muslims, the majority of good muslims really despise this guy and denounce all his opionions

Good luck Cianna, but remember we all think the grass is greener on the other side.
[b]
Btw is it raining in UK

Ha

Anna M

Last edited by Anna Maria; 09-07-2007 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 PM

Hi Anna. No, I didn't think you were trying to tear my posts apart. I just keep in mind that sometimes discussions can get a bit heated without meaning to if things turn into a bickering match, LOL!

Been to London a number of times and I hate it even worse than Newcastle. But to be fair, we are in one of the "better" areas of Newcastle. This just means that we don't have cars set on fire every night of the week If I weren't so set on going home to AZ I would consider moving to Kintyre or the Isle of Whithorn. When we first moved into our current house we (and a few brave neighbors) would have to call the police out at least three times a week. Now it is much rarer. One, because I am not afraid to chase the troublemakers and drag them to the ground, and two, we have CCTV installed now. It does get bad in October though and gets worse in November. All the build-up to Guy Fawkes Night. You really have to watch your back fence to make sure the local kids don't tear it down for a bonfire. We also make sure to keep our cats in so they don't become victims of a "Firecracker Enema."

We FINALLY just had three sunny days in a row. It has rained nearly the entire summer and a few mornings it looked like it was going to snow. Felt like it, too! I think we are in for a very hard winter this year. I really feel for the flood victims. Did you catch that on the news? It was terrible!

Old 09-07-2007, 05:48 PM

606 posts, read 565,384 times
if weather is your only concern,why not consider other states?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or