Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 02:31 AM

274 posts, read 294,212 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hear you're stationed there - on the bright side, as long as you're active duty military and they move you around quite a bit there's a chance you could escape.

I have heard of Arizona cancer rates being high before as a statement, but never knew of actual statistics. I have heard about high cancer rates of leukemia within children (scares me to death, but I did lose a childhood friend after she had been diagnosed with leukemia in that area). I have known or heard of quite a few people with cancer there. I haven't heard of these "cancer clusters", this isn't a term that I've heard in Sierra Vista. I had never heard of tungsten in the dust - this is definitely new to me, and alarming at the same time.

Anyway, buying a house may not be the best idea if there is a high potential of you moving. Renting a home or good apartment, depending on your budget, or if TDY will cover any of it may be more worth your time. In my opinion, rental prices are getting higher in Sierra Vista - it seems worse for homes than apartments, but considering the rental prices when placed together with what a lot of people tend to be making, it feels a little high. Typically, the homes aren't priced too terribly, but it truly depends on what you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,240,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viridianforest View Post
Sorry to hear you're stationed there - on the bright side, as long as you're active duty military and they move you around quite a bit there's a chance you could escape.

I have heard of Arizona cancer rates being high before as a statement, but never knew of actual statistics. I have heard about high cancer rates of leukemia within children (scares me to death, but I did lose a childhood friend after she had been diagnosed with leukemia in that area). I have known or heard of quite a few people with cancer there. I haven't heard of these "cancer clusters", this isn't a term that I've heard in Sierra Vista. I had never heard of tungsten in the dust - this is definitely new to me, and alarming at the same time.

Anyway, buying a house may not be the best idea if there is a high potential of you moving. Renting a home or good apartment, depending on your budget, or if TDY will cover any of it may be more worth your time. In my opinion, rental prices are getting higher in Sierra Vista - it seems worse for homes than apartments, but considering the rental prices when placed together with what a lot of people tend to be making, it feels a little high. Typically, the homes aren't priced too terribly, but it truly depends on what you're looking for.

Below is the death per 100,0000 by state and Arizona as a state has one of the lowest incidences of cancer in the nation. SV may have a high rate locally, not sure but would like to hear if anyone has stats on that.
https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/dcpc/data/state.htm

Kentucky has the highest cancer death rate which I think may be attributable to coal mining and smoking.

Old 01-18-2018, 02:57 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dviladvct1 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm moving to Sierra Vista soon to work at the fort with wife. Not sure if I should buy a house in SV or another town due to what I read about the cancer clusters in SV. Wondering what the locals think about it? Is this affecting home prices greatly? Not Even sure if they identify if it is truly in the S V area that is a source of the problem? Any help is appreciated!
I don't know about the effect on housing prices, but read this: https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/clusters/si...taFindings.pdf .

Here are the findings about the causes, summarized:
Chemicals
The results of the study showed that levels of chemicals found in most study participants were lower than levels in the U.S. population. The levels of chemicals were not different between case and comparison families.

Genetics

After studying many genes, CDC scientists found a variation in a gene called SUOX. This gene tells the body how to make sulfite oxidase, and the job of sulfite oxidase is to change an unsafe chemical into a safer one. It is not known what effect, if any, the variation has on sulfite oxidase. All of the children with leukemia had this variation in the SUOX gene, and almost half of the children who did not have leukemia had that same variation. This means that even if the variation in the SUOX gene adds to the risk for leukemia, there must also be other factors involved. So far, we do not know what those might be.

The last finding is interesting. Hotspots, like this, within communities have often been linked to genetics. Advanced DNA sequencing of large samples of individuals within a community can identify, in some cases, the history of migration and marriage patterns that may cause these patterns and link them to much earlier human migrations tens of thousands of years ago, and even longer. But these kinds of tests on large samples would be quite expensive, since different methods have to be use to uncover the genetic variations that are present. This is pretty advanced stuff.

Last edited by Frihed89; 01-18-2018 at 03:07 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 03:02 PM

26 posts, read 52,069 times
AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more.

We've had some success with locating where EMF emitting towers and antenna may be by address using this website. Based on this, we can avoid being too close, which is considered under a quarter mile based on research we've done, but could perhaps be closer or further than that for certain individuals. Regardless of what the cancer cluster is caused by, being too close to EMF cannot be healthy for the human body over the long term. Put yourself right next to a base and various other EMF emitting devices and you can surely expect that at some time or another adverse health effects could arise for at least some individuals. Better to be a bit off the beaten trail to avoid these issues but that involves commuting some distance at least, which everyone has to consider the pros and cons of in the long term. Rural living does have its advantages, as long as you're not the one right next to the only tower for miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona