U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:29 PM

27 posts, read 23,626 times
Default Moving from Michigan to AZ

I am looking at possibly moving to Tucson/Phoenix area Been in Michigan for over 40 years

I have many questions as I would be leaving a $24.00 per hour job.
Most Michigan people left the state broke and its working on me as well I cant even afford to visit Tucson to see if I like it.
I have used google earth to scan the areas of Tucson and I think I like it.

I presently live on the shore of Lake Michigan so this is going to be a drastic change.

What do people of any age do for entertainment there?

I see a lot of vacant land there (desert) can you just walk off on to it and explore it?
Or is it like here you can get your butt shot at for stepping out of your car to change a tire if its near another land owners property?

I have seen a youtube video of a massive dust storm in July 2011 how long does that last and I have an expensive car will it blast my paint off? BTW the car survived 2 tornadoes in Michigan last spring so Im just asking.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 PM

3,359 posts, read 4,733,793 times
if you've never been to Arizona, you'll need to visit, spend several days, and see if it'll work for you.....

low humidity, no daylight savings time observed in most areas, very low-density urban areas, far-flung suburbs, not as green as out east but not a wasteland, wide variety of people but most are low-key and friendly, a bit fast-paced in the Phx area, lots of driving required usually, outside the metro areas the towns are wide-spaced.....lots to get used to

you'll probably take a pay cut out here....high unemployment, right-to-work state, few unions, not a lot of mfg.....but cost-of-living is low....

all kinds of entertainment options....lots of outdoors stuff year-round....

most of the vacant land is public....if it doesn't say "no trespassing", you can walk right onto it....funny, but, having lived out here since childhood, I'm very used to being able to just walk into the desert, forest, wherever....different jurisdictions, though....lots of areas to enjoy....you can safely change a tire (as long as you're out of the street, etc.....)

dust storms do occur, but not a lot....life in the desert....the video got a lot of play last summer as it was very unusual and exciting....

Old 01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

I am an outdoors person so that will be a great thing I would be leaving MI with 1 bag and 1 car and very little financial equity after 24 years of service to my state Where is the safest yet most economical place to take root in the area? And iI hope to visit this spring or early summer.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,314 times
My husband and I are thinking of moving to the Lake Havasu area....He is a miner here in Montana and was offered a job in Parker...

Little nervous, as I am from Texas and moved to Montana little over a year ago.. Would anyone say Lake Havasu is the best place to look. I love shopping and we both like nightlife and outdoor things. We own a harley and few other toys that I know we will get a lot more use of in a warmer climate...

Any advice greatly appeciated!

Old 01-13-2012, 07:49 PM

3,143 posts, read 2,635,071 times
You make $24 per hour and can't afford a trip to Arizona? You will have a very hard time finding a job making $24 per hour in Arizona unless you have job specific skills. If you have a profession I'd recommend visiting the usual job sites and see if there's anything in your field.

There's lots of people from Michigan in Arizona. We are everywhere here.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
You make $24 per hour and can't afford a trip to Arizona? You will have a very hard time finding a job making $24 per hour in Arizona unless you have job specific skills. If you have a profession I'd recommend visiting the usual job sites and see if there's anything in your field.

There's lots of people from Michigan in Arizona. We are everywhere here.
yes that is right 24 an hour and cant afford to move away thats how bad it has gotten here. Using a relocation calculator I can live there in AZ for less money while making less money by almost 10%. They have taxed so much here they are considering taxing Indiana and Ohio for being too close to the border. (sarcasm) there are about 28 jobs I qualify for in Tucson but at 3/4 the pay rate. I may as well enjoy the dry heat but I do leave 23 years of seniority behind and my loved ones

Old 01-14-2012, 01:03 PM

7,747 posts, read 5,805,395 times
With a $24.00 per hour job you can't afford to leave either. You better keep your job. Going to Arizona would be a foolish choice. If you can't make it there, you will sink almost anywhere you go. People in Arizona rarely make that much, and jobs that pay that much are few and far between.

And my usual warning. If you have a job where you are "Keep It". If you don't have a job where you want to go, "Don't Go". I can't make it any simpler to understand.

Dreamers not only fail, they suffer for their folly for years.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:04 PM

354 posts, read 558,914 times
DJ-Hemi, I think we have been seeing quite an increase in people migrating into the Phoenix area from the midwest. It is not an easy adjustment, I am thinking. As an outdoorsman I initially had a negative reaction on arrival some 22 years ago but I was coming as a career move after the company I worked for shut down and it has worked out well for me.

Have some job prospects/interviews lined up before you commit to the move. You are fortunate, I suppose, not to have a family and a household to move.

On some land sales ads I believe they said something under 20% of the land in Arizona is privately owned. Most of it is state trust land, national forests, indian reservations, BLM land and national monuments. There is an amazing amount of public lands to wander on and enjoy. If you do, you had better be prepared as even healthy young people visiting here have died from exertion in the heat in Phoenix city parks. It is really sad and avoidable.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
With a $24.00 per hour job you can't afford to leave either. You better keep your job. Going to Arizona would be a foolish choice. If you can't make it there, you will sink almost anywhere you go. People in Arizona rarely make that much, and jobs that pay that much are few and far between.

And my usual warning. If you have a job where you are "Keep It". If you don't have a job where you want to go, "Don't Go". I can't make it any simpler to understand.

Dreamers not only fail, they suffer for their folly for years.
Well the 24.00 p/hr wont last with wage reductions and (insurance premium hikes) and cutting other benefits. I will be making what I made 6 years ago. I am not really dreaming about a full scale change trust me. I would surely have a good prospect lined up before I moved, I understand your point more than you might think.

Old 01-14-2012, 01:44 PM

Searcher, the writing is on the wall for me and my employer too I don't think things will be the same for a long time. I have been to Mexico/Texas/Colorado all were pretty hot but missing the heat index I have here so it was bearable but I didn't experience it for months either to get the real feel of what it was like.
I have experienced Coyotes here but the snakes etc I will have to watch out for there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona