Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2012, 04:37 PM

6 posts, read 19,429 times

Advertisements

We are flying in to Phoenix mid March with 8 and 5 year olds for our first time. I'd like some advice on the number of days we should spend in each location and things to do. We are from Miami so we are more interested in showing the kids the area then hanging out at the resorts or Vegas. I was thinking of staying in Phoenix for 2 nights (1 full day in Phoenix since we fly in late) then Sedona 1 night, 3 nights in Grand Canyon, 2 nights in LV then home. My question is whether 3 nights is too long for GC and that I should change to 2 nights in GC and add another night to Sedona or is there a place to stay from GC to Vegas that is worth staying 1 night before LV?

Is there enough to keep the kids busy in Sedona for 2 days? Any Suggestions?

Is there enough to do in Grand Canyon for 3 days? Any Suggestions?

We plan to drive from GC to see Hoover Dam thus the trip back from Vegas.

I would love the input of anyone that knows the area and whether this makes sense and any must see tourist attractions. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 05:25 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
one full day in Phoenix is probably enough with kids in tow....there may be some kiddie-oriented talk at the Botanical Gardens???

if the kids are OK with hiking, there are many choices in Sedona and you can easily research that online....though the water may be cold in March, a visit to Slide Rock State Park is almost mandatory for kids....they may like one of the various jeep tours offered in the area, too....also, pack a picnic one day and just go out to a scenic spot and make the kids appreciate the scenery....

I think two nights (and the one full day resulting) will be enough for the Grand Canyon....plan to get yourself up very early one of those days and watch the sunrise from one of the scenic overlooks along the rim...it's one of the great experiences of a lifetime, I think...also, watch a sunset....the canyon shadows and colors are much more impressive early and late in the day....walk the rim, sit and watch the view, relax....though not an utter bargain, staying right in the Park (Xanterra concessionaire at the south rim) is worth it so you can avoid back-and-forths to some motel outside of the Park....you'll be able to park and walk everywhere if you do this....the North Rim is arguably more scenic, but requires a several-hours drive each way and may take up too much of your allowed time.....

Hoover Dam is also impressive and you'll get to drive across the new bridge....take the side road exit toward the dam itself (NV side) and stop at the obvious pedestrian parking area halfway down to the dam for a short walk up to the sidewalk along the bridge....excellent displays along the way....dam/powerplant tours take a couple hours....

the kids will probably like to drive down the Strip in LV once to see the lights at night...drive carefully....

if you think they'll like Indian stuff, consider Montezuma Castle along I-17, Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff, or Pueblo Grande in Phoenix (google all these)...you may also want to google something like "kids in Sedona" or whatever....there may be a kids ranger badge to earn at the Grand Canyon....possible lingering snow at the higher elevations (Flagstaff)....be ready for lots of driving.....good that you're budgeting several days for this.....

Old 01-20-2012, 07:23 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,162,010 times
Your kids might enjoy the Children's Museum (http://www.childrensmuseumofphoenix.org/default.aspx - broken link) in Phoenix while you're here. My grandson had a blast there, and it's geared towards kids up to age 10.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Second the Children's Museum. Also, the Arizona Science Center, www.azscience.org , which is just a couple of blocks from the Children's Museum.

Maybe the Verde Canyon Railroad Welcome to Verde Canyon Railroad - Home on the way down? Old fashioned train, bald eagles, scenery.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 PM

205 posts, read 572,601 times
That is a great trip, I have done that one a few times, brought some of my friends from Michigan out here and made the trek. Tucson to Phoenix to Sedona to Flagstaff to Grand Canyon (take pictures of Humphreys Peak between flagstaff and GC, its the highest peak in AZ!! Very beautiful). The passage from Sedona to Flagstaff if you take highway 89 (which I recommend rather than 17) will put you at a few nice scenic lookouts, esp the one after you hit all the switchbacks, there is a nice overlook with indian jewelry and goods. Now depending on which way you go to the Canyon from Flagstaff either highway 180, or 89 to 64 and come in the back way. Stop in a city called Cameron, its practically at the corner of 89 and 64 in the middle of nowhere, stop and eat at the Cameron Trading Post, the BEST Navajo food in the region (in my opinion) you have to try their amazing fry bread. Might I recommend the Navajo Taco, Navajo Hot Beef, or Navajo Stew. Also there is a great store in there with lots of touristy items to take home and for the kids. Its only a mile out of the way (either going to or leaving the canyon).

If you have time on your commute from Grand Canyon to Vegas, might a recommend a detour South out of Kingman (where you will take 40 to) and continue on 40 and check out Lake Havasu City! Stop and get lunch if you are there early enough then head out to vegas so you can be sure to arrive at night!!! The view from vegas is amazing, you can see it for over a hundred miles when traveling at night, the sky above the mountains is lit up!

Great great options, you wont be sorry. And like others said, make sure you get a sunrise and sunset at the canyon, bring your cameras, lots of memory cards, and charged and extra batteries!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona