U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 AM

64 posts, read 87,490 times
Moderator cut: snip Dogs tend to mimic a owner.. Make your conclusion.

When dog run towards me I have no idea if it is going to play or attack me. I have to guess, which elevates my risk level.

Dog owners playing “throw and fetch” game in the park where I jogging. I have to run ether with sidearm or a fighting knife, which is not really convenient.

Moderator cut: snip

I have no problem with it, but some other people totally unprotected and helpless against dog charging toward them.
Why people should be stressed and taking their chances?

A dog should be on leash or attached to the hip. Period.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-01-2012 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Offensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 09:30 AM

7,735 posts, read 14,905,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olegk View Post
Moderator cut: snip Dogs tend to mimic a owner.. Make your conclusion.

When dog run towards me I have no idea if it is going to play or attack me. I have to guess, which elevates my risk level.

Dog owners playing “throw and fetch” game in the park where I jogging. I have to run ether with sidearm or a fighting knife, which is not really convenient.

Moderator cut: snip

I have no problem with it, but some other people totally unprotected and helpless against dog charging toward them.
Why people should be stressed and taking their chances?

A dog should be on leash or attached to the hip. Period.
Very valid and realistic point, Olegk.

However, the Dog Owner is at fault and deserves the knife, NOT the Dog.

Unfortunately, the law blindly protects the stupidity of the Dog Owner and now it looks like it could get even worse.

Last edited by Kimballette; 02-01-2012 at 09:41 AM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 02-03-2012, 11:26 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,749,581 times
I doubt if this law will ever pass.

A dog can be a lethal animal, especially the larger breeds and pit bulls. They know how to kill a person, and when they attack, they are usually attacking to kill their victim.

Consequently, if this law does pass, we may see a lot of dogs getting shot by people who aren't going to take kindly to being attacked by a dog on the street; or having their dog attacked by another.

Dogs, even the non-violent breeds, attack other dogs and other animals, such as cats.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:55 PM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,229 posts, read 10,905,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Our glorious legislature is at it again with a bill allowing dogs to run loose of all things. Bill would allow dogs off leash in Arizona

This is drafted by the same legislator who pointed a gun at a reporter's chest last year, so consider the source if you will.

Where do ignorant clowns like Lori Klein come from, and what makes her think unleashed dogs potentially attacking other people and pets is beneficial for this state?
That'd be fine if I can shoot them when they approach me or are on my property doing their business. And Bummer, you're right the owner deserves it more than the dog but it's REALLY illegal to shoot people no matter what stupid things they do.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,377,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That'd be fine if I can shoot them when they approach me or are on my property doing their business. And Bummer, you're right the owner deserves it more than the dog but it's REALLY illegal to shoot people no matter what stupid things they do.
I don't want to see anyone shot, dogs or people.

What's the sense in taking another life if the dogs are not attacking or are doing nothing more than making a mess in your yard?

Keep the leash laws and dump this stupid bill.

I wish we could dump ignorant knuckleheads like Lori Klein too.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,229 posts, read 10,905,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
I don't want to see anyone shot, dogs or people.

What's the sense in taking another life if the dogs are not attacking or are doing nothing more than making a mess in your yard?

Keep the leash laws and dump this stupid bill.

I wish we could dump ignorant knuckleheads like Lori Klein too.
I don't want to see dogs have to be shot either. People? Well that's still up for debate.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM

94 posts, read 150,750 times
This from the woman (Ms. Klien) who also wants to ban profanity (like teachers really swear?) in schools and if teachers are perceived to be preaching partisian politics they get fired immediately? Aren't there some more serious issues in AZ to concentrate on?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 PM

338 posts, read 335,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyman View Post
That sounds like a very good bill to me. My dogs run off-leach all of the time with no problems at all. A well socialized dog is not going to cause any trouble to people or other dogs.
I think the bill is stupid, all dog owners who's dogs bit and attacked people said the same thing you said. They all say thier dog is well socialized and won't hurt a fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Dogs are animals , animals bite, even the most docile animal will bite if provoked or scared enough. Especially if a little child is acting up or flayling it's arms around wildly. Dogs also like to chase cars and bite tires which could cause a unnecessary vehicle accident running out into the hwy.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I think the bottom line is that you know your dog and it's habits and you also know if your animal can tend to get vicious.
If it does and you cannot control that behavior just have the dog leashed in public.
Without some sort of insurance that I must assume most of us don't have if your dog attacks someone you could be sued in civil courts.
Defending yourself could be expensive as could the judgement. You could lose everything you have and wind up in bankruptcy over your dog.
I have had lots of dogs and been fortunate that none were vicious.
The thing is most dog owners don't know their dogs or are in denial of what their dogs will or will not do. I think when dogs attack people they need to start putting the owners in jail, and not for 1 day or 1 month I mean a year minimum, that will cut down on a lot of dog attacks. The owners may think their dogs won't hurt anyone but will they be willing to gamble their own freedom on what an animal will or will not do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I agree, I would easily shoot a dog invading my yard off leash and being aggressive well before it could do any damage. If people want to take those risks in Arizona then I guess that's up to them but most people won't tolerate unleashed dogs running everywhere doing whatever they want, we don't do it now.

I told a neighbor just recently that I'd shoot his Mastiff dog if he prevented me from going into my home again. The dog is always out, not leashed, and barks at everyone. He seems to think the dog knows better than to bite he only barks he told me, just ignore it he said. lol I won't be ignoring it, I said, I'll be addressing it.
Since I told him that I haven't seen the pooch out.

The leash law protects everyone involved, unless you are on a farm get out your leash! I've seen first hand the damage a dog can do to a kids face, it's very serious. Most dog attacks happen with dogs the owner said was always a nice dog, go figure. I think it should be law that an dog owner should have a class or a certain number of animal planet hours in before owning one.
Exactly! And when dogs viciously attack people and especially children, I think the dogs should be put down and the owners sent to prison for 1-5 yrs. If the dog kills someone the owner should go to prison for murder. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
National reserves, etc. People should know what is appropriate with that as well but most of the people just let them run around the neighborhood. That's the majority, and they don't think their dog would ever attack another small dog, cat or kid.
I can see your point but most people don't know their dogs. I hear it all the time, he isn't being mean, he just barks at people but he doesn't bite. Stupidity is indeed a hard one, so their poor animal will get put down one day and it will be nobody's fault but their own. At what point do you actually take care of it yourself, after he's bitten a hole in your leg or before? Some dogs are used as weapons for a reason, they can cause some severe harm and take a couple of shots before they stop.
The leash law just protects everyone involved to some degree, doesn't stop all of them but at least some listen to it. Permitting them to run loose is just asking for trouble.
Which is why I say start throwng the irresponsible owners in prison for a year minimum and they will learn real quick. Not many people will be willing to gamble with their own freedom. Even if they think their dog is harmless they will still put him on a leash if his hurting someone will cost them their own freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona