U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-30-2012, 09:46 PM

17 posts, read 16,713 times

Advertisements

Seeking one asap for our dog, who will have to be put down if we do not find a home for him by the weekend. We cannot seem to locate one or anyone who helps with this sort of thing.

Any help, ideas, suggestions please send me a message or post here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:12 PM

3,389 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Dog and Cat Adoption and Dog and Cat Rescue --- Bullhead City, Arizona

Dog and Cat Adoption and Dog and Cat Rescue --- Kingman, Arizona

Last Chance Ranch Sanctuary | A forever home for special needs animals to live out their lives happy and healthy!

Old 01-30-2012, 10:15 PM

14,198 posts, read 17,763,745 times
Don't you have a friend who could keep the dog for a time until you find a longer term home for him? Ask your veterinarian, and other vets in town, for help.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Don't you have a friend who could keep the dog for a time until you find a longer term home for him? Ask your veterinarian, and other vets in town, for help.
observer53, thank you for the suggestions...

We recently moved to the area so do not have alot of friends or know that many people who might take him. We will be checking with our vet tomorrow to see if they have any suggestions. Unfortunately our landlord who verbally agreed we could have two dogs is now insisting we get rid of the larger one asap.

If anyone knows someone who knows someone who might be able to help, feel free to let us know. It would be much appreciated.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:51 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,656,407 times
What does your LEASE say about dogs???

Old 01-31-2012, 09:47 AM

6,356 posts, read 10,656,407 times
My other thought is please don't kill your dog this weekend. There's no hurry. Observer53 can most likely advise better, but an eviction process would most likely take months, especially if your rent is not in arrears. Simply tell your landlord you need more time to find a home for your pet. Or move! I don't think I'd sleep at night knowing I killed a pet for convenience. But I digress.

First you need to see if you really need to get rid of your dog to say in your home. Your lease is your guideline. If it says "no pets", then you can be assured that your landlord will come back and make you get rid of your other dog as well. He's already lied to you once evidently. So keep that in mind. If you decide to stay, then as I said, tell your landlord you're working on getting rid of your dog and that you need more time. He doesn't want to get rid of a good renter as much as you don't want to give up a good home.

So now that you've bought more time, you need to do diligence on finding a home for your dog. Check out the shelters that Kimballette referenced. Put ads on Craigslist and in the newspaper. Widen your circle to Havasu, Las Vegas, or whatever it takes. Or move. You made a commitment to your pet when you adopted it that you would take care of it. Honor it.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM

3,389 posts, read 3,443,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
You made a commitment to your pet when you adopted it that you would take care of it. Honor it.
Agree with all you said, but most particularly this. It's a lifetime commitment.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:33 PM

The dog in question was my Mother's dog. She passed away a couple months before we moved west. Originally my sister was going to take him but at the last minute decided she could not take him. So we ended up having to bring him with us. We already had our lease and the owner said said we could have 1 dog under 20lbs. We did let him know via email after we got here that we had to bring the other dog. Now six months later he has come back to us and said that we need to get rid of him. So technically our lease says 1 dog, but he did know we had the other dog, and didn't object until recently. We are fully up to date on our rent, always have been. The dogs cause no damage, don't chew, are crated when necessary, are only outside in our fenced yard, and don't bark or bother anyone.

I really hate to go through the hassle of fighting an eviction notice over the dog, but I do understand the need to commit to saving him. One of the reasons we have found it difficult to find him a good home is because he has a history of seizures and is on phenobarb. They are controlled and rare now, but most people shy away when they hear this. Plus he is very protective and wary of strangers until he warms up and trusts them. Then he is a big baby.

I still hope we can find someone who would give him a great home, but in the meantime I am going to try to reason with the owner and buy us some more time. Needless to say, our lease is up in mid July and we do plan to move at that time. I don't want to be involved with someone like this owner, we only took the place because it was the fastest and easiest one we could find when we moved. I've even tried to find someone who could foster care for him until then but no luck.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts and ideas. Any others please feel free to help as well.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/250320_2135291616173_1062561348_2413962_1693769_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM

14,198 posts, read 17,763,745 times
Cute boy! Hope all works out well.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:37 PM

Thank you. And thanks to the few people who have direct messaged me
for their support.

Though sadly we are having no luck at all placing him. If you know anyone who would take him please contact me asap! I really never thought it would be this hard to find a great home for him. The last resort is going to be one of the shelters.

We have temporarily boarded him with his vet, but this has to be a very short term thing due to the cost and just because he cannot live in a kennel. It is incredible how cruel and heartless this landlord is, will not give any more time and started the eviction process. We can fight it but boarded him to get him out of the house when the man came by for an "inspection".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona