Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:02 AM

15 posts, read 34,121 times

Advertisements

I will be taking the drive at the end of the year from South Florida to Phoenix so I find this thread very interesting.

Has anyone made the drive from FL to AZ? Google maps has a couple different options, one stays about as far south as you can get cutting all the way across TX and the bottom of NM. The other stays North and goes through Arkansas, OKlahoma, and the pan handle of TX. Any thoughts on which route is more scenic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:27 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uakron05 View Post
I will be taking the drive at the end of the year from South Florida to Phoenix so I find this thread very interesting.

Has anyone made the drive from FL to AZ? Google maps has a couple different options, one stays about as far south as you can get cutting all the way across TX and the bottom of NM. The other stays North and goes through Arkansas, OKlahoma, and the pan handle of TX. Any thoughts on which route is more scenic?
I 10 which you take all the way from FL to PHX is the most direct way. It's 2460 miles or so from Jax FL to LA. PHX is about 450 miles from LA so call it a 2000 mile trip at most from Jax to PHX on I 10. If you are in S FL, obiously tack on a few hundred.. It does get "scenic" when you get into the TX Hill Country as you head past San Antonio towards El Paso.

As far as scenery, I 40 from Amarillo to Flagstaff is my favorite part of the trip.More scenic than I 10 anywhere. However, as stated, the I 40 roads in Oklahoma stink. Poor state funding and tons of potholes. It's not worth driving way out of your way up to Memphis to catch I 40 and adding many hundreds of miles to your trip despite the Amarillo to Flagstaff stretch. You'll see some nice SW scenery from El Paso to PHX on I 10. Best of luck !

Old 02-12-2012, 08:49 AM

Also, UAkron5, check todays weather map for Amarillo. The TX Panhandle and Eastern NM in the winter have huge temp swings and get ice and snow a day after being 60 or 70. Since you said you want to drive out here "at the end of the year", there is a 50/50 shot of getting hazardous weather out that way.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:07 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfOnABoat View Post
Yeah it was me and a buddy. I was delivering a car to my uncle who also lives in St. David. So we alternated driving. We only stopped at once place to actually have a sit down meal. I will never forget that either. It was Shamrock TX, on I40 just as we entered TX. There was nothing there (at the time) a gas station, a Hotel, and a bar/grille (all on the same corner). That was probably one of the best burgers I had ever had, and entire separate plate of fries and a milkshake for $5. Couldn't beat it!

But 31 hours, we were hauling the mail and didnt rest! Next time, I will rest and enjoy the drive!
I did my road trip by myself! But then I've done a LOT of them by myself and really enjoy it. Don't have to worry about anyone else's 'timetables'. lol I was mostly on I-40 too but didn't take the time to do any side trips. If I did it again I'd TAKE the time!

Old 02-12-2012, 09:09 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:

I've done that trip myself, from the Keys to AZ and on to North Idaho. I did the southern route because I wanted to go to New Orleans and then across TX. Lordy, is that a loooong drive! And mostly kinda boring, if I recall. I think the AR/OK/TX route might be more 'scenic'. I think AR is gorgeous!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 PM

134 posts, read 243,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I respect your takes VOC. One man's trash is another one's pleasure. For the record, I am a prime rib buff. I didn't even attempt to try the 72 ouncer there. The prime rib with the blackened seasoning was really good though.

Despite growing up an hour from NYC, I was always a rural and nature guy. The desolate nature of Amarillo to Flag outside of ABQ has always been one of my favorite stretches of highway. My least favorite part of NM is Santa Rosa to Clines Corners which is nothing but an 80 mile incline that stresses your engine.LOL. Plus, no real visible mountains until you start seeing the Sandias west of Clines Corners.

Yeah, I hear you. Everyone has a different type of scenery they prefer. I grew up around mountains and trees so I've always liked that kind of scenery, but at least one or the other is fine. I don't even mind the 'boring' parts of the midwest, either. I like seeing crops and farms and growing stuff.

But man, that big flat stretch of nothing around Amarillo is brutal. I'd put it at the top of my "worst/most boring roads" list, even above such spots as highway 95 in western NV, i94 in ND and i90 in SD...all of which are pretty tortuous.

Quote:

I've done the west coast out to GA and back a few times, and done both those routes. I would do the i10 route in a heartbeat if given a choice. The scenery is pretty nice almost the entire way. Oh also: If you do this route, there's a place just off the i10 east of San Antonio in the small town of Luling Texas. It's called the City Market and good god...if you like bbq, you must stop there. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
I drive regularly from Arizona to Ohio or Philly, sometimes to Florida. I've gotten to the point I look for different routes and ways to make it less boring. The interstates can really get tedious especially in the Midwest. Many of the US Highwaays are four lanes with little traffic and going through an occaisional town is a break. I like US 70 through New Mexico and the Parkway system in Kentucky.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:40 PM

15 posts, read 34,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
I've done the west coast out to GA and back a few times, and done both those routes. I would do the i10 route in a heartbeat if given a choice. The scenery is pretty nice almost the entire way. Oh also: If you do this route, there's a place just off the i10 east of San Antonio in the small town of Luling Texas. It's called the City Market and good god...if you like bbq, you must stop there. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough.
Thanks for the suggestion, I am hopping that I will have the luxury of taking a few extra days getting there so I can stop and see some sights along the way. I will be traveling with a dog so I will have to plan around that

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Also, UAkron5, check todays weather map for Amarillo. The TX Panhandle and Eastern NM in the winter have huge temp swings and get ice and snow a day after being 60 or 70. Since you said you want to drive out here "at the end of the year", there is a 50/50 shot of getting hazardous weather out that way.
Point well taken! I am originally from Ohio and have nooooo desire to drive through snow and ice again so I will try to avoid it.

I am looking forward to the drive and anxious to get on the road, wish I could leave tomorrow

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOC1 View Post
Yeah, I hear you. Everyone has a different type of scenery they prefer. I grew up around mountains and trees so I've always liked that kind of scenery, but at least one or the other is fine. I don't even mind the 'boring' parts of the midwest, either. I like seeing crops and farms and growing stuff.

But man, that big flat stretch of nothing around Amarillo is brutal. I'd put it at the top of my "worst/most boring roads" list, even above such spots as highway 95 in western NV, i94 in ND and i90 in SD...all of which are pretty tortuous.

You sound very knowledgable and better traveled than myself VOC1. I am actually interested in sometime driving from Vegas to Reno. Is that the Rte 95 in Nevada you are referencing ? I have flown to both Vegas and Reno but never drove the 10 desolate hours between them. Thanks.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I am hopping that I will have the luxury of taking a few extra days getting there so I can stop and see some sights along the way. I will be traveling with a dog so I will have to plan around that

Point well taken! I am originally from Ohio and have nooooo desire to drive through snow and ice again so I will try to avoid it.

I am looking forward to the drive and anxious to get on the road, wish I could leave tomorrow
Sounds like I 10 is the universal choice for a safe but scenic drive to PHX from FL at years end. I agree. Again, El Paso to PHX is very pretty. Not really the greenery you get in Northern NM but the mountains are quite majestic. Especially from Las Cruces through Tucson on I 10. Best of luck !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona