Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 12:54 PM

371 posts, read 1,004,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
Try Cy-kick or Demon double strength.
I never found spraying to really affect the scorpion itself...if it kills other insects scorpions use for food that may work...we used to get 2-3 scorpions a month in our old N. Scottsdale house regardless of spraying or not...we used to get more before I sealed our house too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 07:03 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,042,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsHomes View Post
Tie some dental floss low across the floor, about an inch high. Their tails get caught up in it.
How funny, is this ethical. ? I think I remember doing this to cars when I was a kid.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 PM

86 posts, read 257,795 times
Scorpions are like cockroaches,they laugh at chemicals,use cats or chickens.Or a bright light just off the ground outside in the yard with sticky paper underneeth,attract the scorpion to the bugs under the light n get them stuck on the paper.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:41 AM

6 posts, read 26,492 times
This is our first monsoon living in the wilderness--nearest neighbors about 1/4 mile away, so plenty of room for critters, and we have them ALL. I was raised in the country and I'm not afraid of stuff, but I still find myself yelping often. We have lots of insects in the house since we had to evict the tarantulas so that the dogs wouldn't kill them. The FD took away a too-friendly rattlesnake last week. What I'm learning is to pick my battles. If it won't make me or my animals sick, I relocate it. If it will hurt us, I kill it or get someone braver to take it away. My husband has moved 16 Colorado River toads to distant washes since the rains came. We've found two dying scorps in the house (diatomaceous earth DOES work) and one very live one on the patio this week--these are my worst fear! The non-toxic toads have doubled in size because they are eating so well!

I have developed a list of "persona non grata:"
Venomous snakes
Venomous spiders
Venomous toads
Scorpions
Harvester Ants (my son is allergic)

Tarantulas, Roadrunners, Woodpeckers, Toads and Nonvenomous snakes are my best friends, not necessarily in that order.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:46 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azlibrabbit View Post
This is our first monsoon living in the wilderness--nearest neighbors about 1/4 mile away, so plenty of room for critters, and we have them ALL. I was raised in the country and I'm not afraid of stuff, but I still find myself yelping often. We have lots of insects in the house since we had to evict the tarantulas so that the dogs wouldn't kill them. The FD took away a too-friendly rattlesnake last week. What I'm learning is to pick my battles. If it won't make me or my animals sick, I relocate it. If it will hurt us, I kill it or get someone braver to take it away. My husband has moved 16 Colorado River toads to distant washes since the rains came. We've found two dying scorps in the house (diatomaceous earth DOES work) and one very live one on the patio this week--these are my worst fear! The non-toxic toads have doubled in size because they are eating so well!

I have developed a list of "persona non grata:"
Venomous snakes
Venomous spiders
Venomous toads
Scorpions
Harvester Ants (my son is allergic)

Tarantulas, Roadrunners, Woodpeckers, Toads and Nonvenomous snakes are my best friends, not necessarily in that order.
I dont understand your logic... Those animals wont hurt you unless you mess with them. Theres NO NEED to kill them just out of fear. Call Animal Control before you take matters into your own hands.

Also, there is only ONE species of scorpion in AZ that is POTENTIALLY lethal, and ALL SPIDERS ARE VENOMOUS. Do you kill every single spider you see? None of them (besides the black widow) will do you any harm at all, and black widows are as shy as spiders get. Just leave the critters alone, let them live and do their jobs as God intended.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM

641 posts, read 2,357,711 times
I live in the country too. Only seen two scorps, but do have a lot of sun scorpions, carpet beatles, palo verde beetles, large cockroaches, frogs,blister beetles and the darn flies.
I eeeek every day. I can not sit on my porch at night and have a cigarette without getting some kind of bug landing on me......Every night I have a beetle hunt in my house with a shoe, because thats when they come out.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:00 AM

641 posts, read 2,357,711 times
Forgot to add, I have four cats, but they got bored of chasing the bugs,lol
Cats are not immune to scorpion stings, they just have thicker skin and a less chance of getting the poison in their system

Old 07-23-2008, 12:12 PM

96 posts, read 440,898 times
I have lived in my house for almost three years now, and we've had only about 8 scorpions in or around our house (that we've seen). One of those stung me in November. Even so, I'd much rather have the scorpions than this guy/girl who recently visited my backyard.
I have lived in Arizona for 23 years, and this is the first snake I've seen. Thankfully. I believe this is a young Western Diamondback.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,103,553 times
(^)

Yep, thats a juvie Crotalus atrox (or WDB rattlesnake if you go by common names). Nice find! Probably just cruising through looking for a meal. I found a similar sized one in my FIL's yard in Scottsdale and relocated it down the road in a undeveloped lot.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM

96 posts, read 440,898 times
They are building apartments just north of my housing development (like 1/2 a mile), so I think this was his habitat. It was all desert with lots of rocks, crevices and bushes. A good place for a snake.
Just before we saw the snake, we had seen a lizard in the yard. I think the snake was just looking for a light meal. We stayed back, and he went on his merry way. I called the neighbors in the morning to give them a heads up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona