Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 04:06 PM

150 posts, read 455,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azlibrabbit View Post
This is our first monsoon living in the wilderness--nearest neighbors about 1/4 mile away, so plenty of room for critters, and we have them ALL. I was raised in the country and I'm not afraid of stuff, but I still find myself yelping often. We have lots of insects in the house since we had to evict the tarantulas so that the dogs wouldn't kill them. The FD took away a too-friendly rattlesnake last week. What I'm learning is to pick my battles. If it won't make me or my animals sick, I relocate it. If it will hurt us, I kill it or get someone braver to take it away. My husband has moved 16 Colorado River toads to distant washes since the rains came. We've found two dying scorps in the house (diatomaceous earth DOES work) and one very live one on the patio this week--these are my worst fear! The non-toxic toads have doubled in size because they are eating so well!

I have developed a list of "persona non grata:"
Venomous snakes
Venomous spiders
Venomous toads
Scorpions
Harvester Ants (my son is allergic)

Tarantulas, Roadrunners, Woodpeckers, Toads and Nonvenomous snakes are my best friends, not necessarily in that order.
I did not know there are venemous toads in AZ!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:11 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,182,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
(^)

Yep, thats a juvie Crotalus atrox (or WDB rattlesnake if you go by common names). Nice find! Probably just cruising through looking for a meal. I found a similar sized one in my FIL's yard in Scottsdale and relocated it down the road in a undeveloped lot.
How did you relocate it? Not that I'm planning to attempt to do it myself , just curious.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:17 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,147,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
How did you relocate it? Not that I'm planning to attempt to do it myself , just curious.
Picked it up with my snake hook, put it in a bucket, dumped it (nicely of course) in a quieter area.

Old 01-28-2009, 09:56 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,182,931 times
Quote:
Picked it up with my snake hook, put it in a bucket, dumped it (nicely of course) in a quieter area.
OK, I thought you did it by hand and was wondering how you became a 'snake whisperer' ,

PS I'm an avid hiker and have had a few close encounters with snakes up here in Sedona...one rattlesnake this summer was really aggressive and annoyed at us and resulted in us having to turn around and go back and catch another way out of a canyon as there was no way to get around this snake (he wouldn't budge and acted like he would chase us if we pushed it) and I could just feel him there saying 'come on now, make my day'!

Old 02-10-2009, 09:39 AM

6 posts, read 47,065 times
Luna / Arizona Bound: We had a small one about an inch and a half in the livingroom around Jan.20th we live in Desert Hills area (Carefree and 7th Ave) I also found one excavating in front of the house (New Construction) the ground has been treated and the scorpion found in the house looked like it had been poisoned, very slow in movement. Hope this helps!

Old 04-13-2009, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 11,874 times
Hello
I live in Polk County FL and last night I saw (and killed) my fist living scorpion, I was just wondering if there was any kind of home remedy to keep them out of the house I think I have heard something like mix lavender and ammonia or vinegar.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Last edited by CeCe72980; 04-13-2009 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 PM

434 posts, read 984,707 times
Anyone tired of newcomers should just copy this thread to every other state forum. I am scared out of mind after browsing just a couple of pages. I can remember seeing exactly one scorpion out here in San Diego Co - probably 25 years ago on Palomar Mountain. I did see a black widow at a playground near my house a few weeks ago, though.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:51 AM

28 posts, read 96,983 times
Default Natural Scorpion Repellant?

I haven't read all the posts in this thread, but wanted to comment, so if I missed something pertinent, ignore this post.
I just came across this product a few days ago - Cedarcide. Don't know if it works. I'm going to try the spray on my cats instead of using Advantage. I'll know whether it works on the fleas.
I'm sure someone (we all know who it will be) will shoot down this product without having used it. So, anyone interested should check it out. If it does nothing more than kill all the "food" for the scorpions, then I think it's worth it.
At least it's not chemical and the residual scent is cedar - like living in a cedar closet.
If anyone has used this, please post your experience. I'd like to know what happened with your "critters".

Old 04-30-2009, 11:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,048,665 times
Really, if your in an apt. it won't matter. They will always be next door. Same with the other bugs they eat. They will wait next door and then try again to invade in a week. I would move to an apt. that wasn't infested with scorps. there are plenty that don't have them at all. It's rarer to have them then to "not" have them. Then you will finally be free from scorpions. Until then, black light. lol
Next place you move to ask the other tenants if the complex has scorpions. Even if they say they have only seen one, forget it. Most don't have any, ever!

Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM

58 posts, read 243,937 times
Quote:
Florida has 2 species of scorpion (both harmless), one species of tarantula (theyre all harmless), and a lot less species of venomous snakes. Hawaii has no scorpions, no tarantulas, no venomous snakes. Of the 3 states, AZ has FAR more venomous critters than Hawaii and Florida combined.

Just thought Id throw that out there...
Sorry just thought I would dispell the myth that there is no scorpions in Hawaii. They do have one species known as the Lesser Brown Scorpion. Relativley harmless though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona