U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2012, 04:53 PM

13,793 posts, read 16,333,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodswoman View Post
Yes, it's a violation of the law! That doesn't seem to matter to anyone we've gone to with this!

The lady from channel 12 Phoenix called a while ago and started asking questions, then asked if she could call me back. Still waiting, but it's a start.

It WAS my son-in-law who filed the police report here in Kalispell, a few years ago. We have the printed paper with the case number. They did nothing about it. Then last summer my daughter and son-in-law moved up here near us because the IRS had been threatening to start taking property, and they were frightened. I didn't know about this until then. We live in a different county than Kalispell, so we went to the Sheriff's deparment here, in person, with the paperwork. They wouldn't even look at it. They said it wasn't their jurisdiction. We came home and got online and got the phone number for the Maricopa County Sheriff's dept. and called. Son-in-law on one phone, me in another room on another phone. We were transferred all over the place, then told we had to start with the Sheriff's dept. up here.

I called our department back and talked to the undersheriff and asked if they could at least call down there and get it started. They wouldn't. He finally gave me the number for someone he'd worked with at the FBI office in Kalispell, and I called there. My calls/messages were never returned. My son-in-law went in person and filed a report at the FBI, and followed up on it and they never did anything. He filed a report with the FTC. I went to the Homeland Security office up at the Canadian border becaues the Driver's License office said if someone is using your name and SS# to contact them. He told me to contact the division of Homeland Security that handles stuff like that. To Date, Homeland Security has not returned our calls or emails.

My son-in-law has been the primary spokesperson at all times dealing with agencies, though I do have power-of-attorney to discuss this, as does my husband, via paperwork completed last summer.

You're wrong, observer, that my son-in-law is the victim, not any of the rest of us. Our daughter's health has suffered from the stress of this, they sold their home in Kalispell because of the fear that the IRS would take it before this was straightened out, and both of them have been through hell and a lot of time and money trying to get this stopped. So it's not just my son-in-law. And believe me, there are better things my husband and I could have been doing or worrying over than what these kids are going through.

But yes, he's been in charge of filing the complaints and making the calls. It's been very discouraging.
I was speaking ONLY from the technical legal standpoint in a criminal action-- I'm not minimizing the effects on others in the family. I hope you get some response from someone who can make something happen in the right direction.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:33 PM

14 posts, read 10,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I was speaking ONLY from the technical legal standpoint in a criminal action-- I'm not minimizing the effects on others in the family. I hope you get some response from someone who can make something happen in the right direction.
Thank you! I did get what you meant, and that's why I put that last line, that yeah, Son-in-law is filing the reports!

Just had a long conversation with the people at Channel 5. They're jumping on it, and they sound sincere about wanting to investigate this. Long live CBS!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 08:16 PM

2,403 posts, read 3,468,400 times
Quote:
Thank you! I did get what you meant, and that's why I put that last line, that yeah, Son-in-law is filing the reports!

Just had a long conversation with the people at Channel 5. They're jumping on it, and they sound sincere about wanting to investigate this. Long live CBS!
Hope they get the guys picture on the news report so every one will remember him in the future.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:05 AM

641 posts, read 1,460,850 times
Contact chanel 3 . They have a segment called 3 on your side. I have used it myself.

Old 03-17-2012, 07:03 AM

23,552 posts, read 15,413,214 times
Emailing is nice to notify another party, however if you really want quick positive action you much send a letter addressed to the named CEO or director of personnel at Wal-Mart. A written letter gets more attention than an email that simply gets passed around the office.

You can find the names of directors or upper management online or simply by calling the company, and verify their mailing address. A stamped envelope sitting on the office desk gets attention.

Emails in the business world from customers don’t work well. Phone calls and stamped mail gets attention positive attention.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:41 AM

Thank you, AksarbeN, I didn't know that about emails Vs. snailmails. We'll get on that and send a real letter.

The people at Channel 5 seem serious about this, so I hope they can help put a stop to this and also give others in the same positiion a chance to get theirs taken care of. The people at both TV stations said there is a lot of this happening.

Channel 12 called back shortly after I talked to channel 5 and they were wishing they'd gotten back to me before 5 did. They were serious about it as well, and probably all of the stations would have been. I'm grateful to them, and to all of you for these ideas and encouragement.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:41 AM

55 posts, read 53,335 times
The consumer advocates on the news stations are definitely a good place to turn to in situations like this. Obviously, it is mutually beneficial to both the station and your situation. I have seen similar stories to yours on my local news stations (currently still in New York, but will be an Arizona resident again in a few weeks).

I did have a friend who encountered a very similar situation a few years ago, and he did turn to contacting the corporate office of the company in question (though, this was not Wal-Mart, in his case). What he did was to actually have an attorney write the letter, after trying to contact them for himself a few times without any response or action. He paid the rate that it took for the attorney to write and send a sternly worded letter with the threat of legal action if it was not resolved within 30 days, and he did get a response - ultimately leading to the arrest and deportation of the person facilitating the fraud.

From what I was told by him was that the attorney came up with a litany of potential violations of law in the letter, a lot of them being around postal mail fraud, amongst other things.

Best of luck to you on this. Although I have not been in this situation myself, can definitely appreciate how it seams to feel powerless in getting people to listen and act appropriately when it is impacting a family, like it is yours.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:38 PM

23,552 posts, read 15,413,214 times
Quote:
Thank you, AksarbeN, I didn't know that about emails Vs. snailmails. We'll get on that and send a real letter.

The people at Channel 5 seem serious about this, so I hope they can help put a stop to this and also give others in the same positiion a chance to get theirs taken care of. The people at both TV stations said there is a lot of this happening.

Channel 12 called back shortly after I talked to channel 5 and they were wishing they'd gotten back to me before 5 did. They were serious about it as well, and probably all of the stations would have been. I'm grateful to them, and to all of you for these ideas and encouragement.
It sounds like you have things under control and moving for now. I'd give the TV stations a chance to move on this, however do write to the WalMart corporate offices. It simply adds fuel to your case and if they show that they are unwilling to help arrest this individual and work with the authorities it will make them look bad or worse than they already do. They are the employer and they are a victim as well. I wish you well on this and a quick resolve.

Old 03-18-2012, 10:33 AM

I think you're right, AksarbeN, we shouldn't just sit back now and let the TV people take over. It does seem fair to make every effort I know of to contact Wal-mart and give them an opportunity to help fix this Identity theft situation. I've never been wronged by Wal-mart as a shopper, so we'll (SIL will do the writing!) get a snail-mail out to Wal-mart in tomorrow's mail. I suppose the TV people will contact Wal-mart as well, but I think it's fair that they hear from us too.

One of the best things we've done in this whole messy situation was to come on here and ask you guys for suggestions. You've been great helping us with ideas, and may have pointed us in the direction that will finally resolve this thing.

Old 03-18-2012, 02:37 PM

509 posts, read 817,254 times
it might be a wise idea for the snailmail to be registered letter . not sure if that term is still in use . anyway , a letter that has to be signed for by recipient .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona