Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 3,769 times

Advertisements

I live in Sherman Oaks, CA (Los Angeles) and am seriously considering moving to Phoenix. I have family that recently moved to Goodyear and like it so far. I will work downtown Phoenix. I am married with a small child--11 months old.

I am looking to purchase a house in the $500,000 to $600,000 ranged. I am considering Goodyear but do hear complaints about the commute. I do not mind a commute as I have been dealing with it for the past 7 years in Los Angeles.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding locations to locate. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 12:59 AM

2,290 posts, read 2,472,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skindog View Post
I live in Sherman Oaks, CA (Los Angeles) and am seriously considering moving to Phoenix. I have family that recently moved to Goodyear and like it so far. I will work downtown Phoenix. I am married with a small child--11 months old.

I am looking to purchase a house in the $500,000 to $600,000 ranged. I am considering Goodyear but do hear complaints about the commute. I do not mind a commute as I have been dealing with it for the past 7 years in Los Angeles.

I would appreciate any comments/suggestions regarding locations to locate. Thanks.

It is a horrid commute that 10 freeway is a nightmare, but if you don't mind it that's ok.
Look at Estrella Mountain Ranch, I love that subdivision.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 3,768 times
Hi. I travel all over the valley and that commute is a little rough. That price range will get you a nice house in several locations around central Phoenix where the commute is minimal. What part of downtown Phoenix will you be working in?

Shoot me an e-mail at CBaer@phoenicianproperties.com and maybe I can give some better input depending on where you want to be/work.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
It is a horrid commute that 10 freeway is a nightmare, but if you don't mind it that's ok.
Look at Estrella Mountain Ranch, I love that subdivision.
Try Verrado too another nice subdivision out that way.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:54 PM

148 posts, read 848,200 times
Depending on how much house you want to get for your $500,000-$600,000, there are other areas I would consider besides goodyear. If you are set on the southwest valley, I would look into Litchfield Park over Goodyear. There are some nice custom home areas like Litchfield Vista Views that have bigger lots and nice homes. Otherwise Wigwam Creek has some very nice homes in your price range but they are trac homes. For that price you can get at least 3000 sq. feet. Litchfield Park borders Goodyear so it is not that big of a difference commute wise.

If you are not set on the southwest valley, I would seriously consider the northwest valley, ie the Arrowhead area. The homes are a little more expensive but I feel that it is a nicer area overall. Arrowhead encompasses mostly Glendale. My favorite neighborhood is Sierra Verde. We just sold our 3000 sq. foot 2 story home for $520,000 in Sierra Verde for a larger home just to give you an idea.

Hope this helps,
Angie

Another up and coming area that is supposed to be very nice is Vistancia but it is way out north and west.

Angie

Old 09-18-2006, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantingoutofAz View Post
Depending on how much house you want to get for your $500,000-$600,000, there are other areas I would consider besides goodyear. If you are set on the southwest valley, I would look into Litchfield Park over Goodyear. There are some nice custom home areas like Litchfield Vista Views that have bigger lots and nice homes. Otherwise Wigwam Creek has some very nice homes in your price range but they are trac homes. For that price you can get at least 3000 sq. feet. Litchfield Park borders Goodyear so it is not that big of a difference commute wise.

If you are not set on the southwest valley, I would seriously consider the northwest valley, ie the Arrowhead area. The homes are a little more expensive but I feel that it is a nicer area overall. Arrowhead encompasses mostly Glendale. My favorite neighborhood is Sierra Verde. We just sold our 3000 sq. foot 2 story home for $520,000 in Sierra Verde for a larger home just to give you an idea.

Hope this helps,
Angie

Another up and coming area that is supposed to be very nice is Vistancia but it is way out north and west.

Angie

Vistancia is very nice, We've looked at homes up there but it's a hike.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:06 PM

153 posts, read 563,275 times
a1m1700 and WantingoutofAz (geesh, it's hard to type that without putting in spaces)... Thank you for some concrete information, free of charge. People moving to the area are looking for names of neighborhoods and zip codes and schools/districts recommended by others. We appreciate you helping those of us who are making such a big move. Thanks!!

Old 09-18-2006, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublet View Post
a1m1700 and WantingoutofAz (geesh, it's hard to type that without putting in spaces)... Thank you for some concrete information, free of charge. People moving to the area are looking for names of neighborhoods and zip codes and schools/districts recommended by others. We appreciate you helping those of us who are making such a big move. Thanks!!

No problem! It's hard when you are moving to a new area. Metro Phoenix and all it's suburbs are huge, I think it's the 5th largest city.

Old 09-19-2006, 09:19 AM

148 posts, read 848,200 times
Doublet,
It is my pleasure. Although as my name suggests, my husband and I are looking to leave Arizona, we are both natives and so know the city pretty well. I just hope that when we find the place we would like to move to, people will help us out as well.

Angie

Old 09-21-2006, 09:26 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
I live in Goodyear (Estrella Mountain Ranch- EMR) and have for about 10 years now. EMR is the nicest development in Goodyear and certainly among the finest in the Phx metro area. There is a website - estrellamountainranch.com - I think that has pretty pictures etc. The price range you are looking at is about what homes run out here. EMR is a great place to live. It is located in the foothills of the Estrell Mountain SW of Phoenix. There are 2, roughly 40 acre lakes, acres and acres of private parks, a residents club with water park, new schools, mountain trails and views everywhere. There are the usual homeowners associations but they are not too intrusive here although the "rules" make a pretty thick book. EMR borders a large county regional park and is close to Phoenix International Raceway. It has one serious downside. There is NO shopping other than a little C-store. You have to go about 10 miles to find anything. People here like it that way for the most part and I dont' expect it to change soon. Once you do go the 10 miles, though, there is about everything you could want. They are even building a big, real (not strip) mall in the area.

This side of PHX is the new "in" side and the traffic is awful with the development going on. Local streets are nothing, but I10 is a mess. The commute downtown is about 35-40 minutes in rush hour. But all of this city is a mess traffic-wise and there is no easy way to get anywhere during rush hours.

If I were planning a move to Goodyear, this (EMR) is the only place I would live. The rest of the city is the same ticky-tacky, tile-roof, architecture that you find everywhere around here. Go somewhere more centrally located. The advantage to EMR is the setting and the residents' amenities. It does make up to an extent for the inconvenience of the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona