Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,945,139 times

Advertisements

It is terrible how companies can get laws passed by influencing politicians.
It may not be the case here but when a politician will not explain his position I smell a rat.
The last thing struggling families need in this economy is a sleezy debt collector with flimsy documentation making their life miserable.

AZ Senate votes down credit card bill - CBS 5 - KPHO

Dial refused to explain the exact purpose of the bill when approached by CBS 5 News last month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
How can the sponsor of a bill "refuse to explain its purpose??? I'm ashamed to say this guy is in my district, though I've never voted for him.

Old 04-12-2012, 10:44 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
How can the sponsor of a bill "refuse to explain its purpose??? I'm ashamed to say this guy is in my district, though I've never voted for him.
I could not agree more, Observer.
[mod cut-- off topic. This is the Arizona forum]

Last edited by observer53; 04-13-2012 at 05:40 AM..

Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 AM

641 posts, read 2,365,820 times
So this has passed? This is just sick. It is bad enough when someone who is dying is being harassed by medical collectors, now they can get a judgement and take their only source of income or SS, and leave them in the street?

They do no even need proof? The Governor sign this?

Old 04-14-2012, 06:04 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amatrine View Post
So this has passed? This is just sick. It is bad enough when someone who is dying is being harassed by medical collectors, now they can get a judgement and take their only source of income or SS, and leave them in the street?

They do no even need proof? The Governor sign this?

The OP said the Senate voted it DOWN, but a particularly wacky Senator from Mohave County wants to bring it back up again. So no, there's nothing for the Governor to sign right now.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:34 PM

The measure was originally denied by the Arizona Senate Banking and Insurance Committee, until the panel reviewed the decision and passed the bill.

That's why I thought it was passed. On another site, I saw where it was up to Brewer, .. so confused now,lol

Anyway, this needs to be nipped no matter what. It will bring out the scam artists big time and really hurt people.

Old 04-15-2012, 12:52 AM

354 posts, read 1,281,249 times
I didn't see what was alarming about the bill.

Naturally a merchant wants to recover some money owed from people who purchased goods and services and opts to sell the debt versus hounding the consumer themselves. The idea of the debt buyer using the final billing of the merchant or "electronic record" as a basis of what they are going after is as good as it gets. All records are maintained electronically and may or may not be correct, which might be the reason the bill was never paid. Ultimately we are responsible for the debts we incur unless/until they are legally dismissed.

I would have thought these collection agencies already had the power this failed bill was trying to secure.

As a consumer, I try to act responsibly, but would hate to have something contested get turned over to a third party who only know what was last billed and there is no way to challenge the basis of their claim. It that is the gist of the bill then I could see people reacting negatively to it.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 AM

Even worse, this will apply to out of state, so they can get a judgement out of state, so does one have to to court out of state to contest it?

This will sure make Arizona's debt more valuable, maybe that is the driving force?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
It is not law, and it did not pass. An alarmist post to say the least, but watch it though, because the bad actors will try again.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:20 PM

603 posts, read 945,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
It is not law, and it did not pass. An alarmist post to say the least, but watch it though, because the bad actors will try again.
I'm not sure what you mean "it did not pass". It was engrossed in the house, was amended in the senate and then engrossed by the senate. It'll go back to the house for a final vote on the amended bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: