Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:50 PM

135 posts, read 341,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
What's stopping her from putting your possessions on the street now? To be on the safe side before you go it might be a good idea to rent some storage space and consult with an attorney. But I don't see where anything can come back on you if there's no paperwork but of course I'm no Lawyer so my opinion means basically nothing. If she is talking about a short sale it sounds like there's more to all this.
It's called "distraint" and it's illegal in Arizona. You cannot hold a tenant's possessions for nonpayment of rent, without going through the judicial process of eviction first. A lease of more than one year should be in writing, but even so she would be considered a month-to-month tenant and still has certain rights in Arizona. It's a tough situation to be in - good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:27 PM

3,202 posts, read 3,882,002 times
What lesson can we learn from this?

Old 04-26-2012, 11:32 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,093,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nn92484 View Post
This situation is very upsetting.

This is in Arizona, and i'm unclear on how this'll go down here, despite all the "googling" i did.

Situation is this: I'm being evicted from a house that i purchased with my sister 8 years ago. At the time, i had not yet established any credit to be on the title, so she said we could add me to the title further down the road.

After getting my credit up, and ready to be on the title, she decided that it wouldn't be good to do that, and to just maintain our current situation. I have been on time with EVERY single payment (mind you, i pay the mortgage payment directly to the bank, and not to her)

Then one day out of the blue, she turns Mrs.Hyde, and threatens me to either leave the property, or get evicted. She did an illegal eviction at first, by locking us out, which the judge ruled in our favor.

Then a few years down, she calls and says that to either give her $120k "by tomorrow," or she'd put the house up for short-sale. With that said, i decided to look for a new place, and have her pay her own mortgage while i do.

So i missed 2 months "payments," giving her cause to evict.

My question is, without any clear lease agreement, and the house being in her name and all, is she entitled to sue me for not paying HER mortgage? And after the hearing, which i'll probably miss cuz i'm traveling, what will happen to my posessions if i'm gone?
I would sue her anyway whether you want to or not for all the mortgage payments you made directly to the bank with all of your receipts to prove that you did make those payments yourself. Also, cross her off your Christmas List and your sister list and do not ever do anything in the future with relatives especially when it comes to money and if you decide to do this again be sure and have everything in writing signed and all of that THROUGH AN ATTORNEY.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:47 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,290,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
What lesson can we learn from this?
Always put it in writing

and as to a law suit, on what grounds? They had use of the dwelling and it could be considered fair renumeration.

Family is still family, so get out, get over it, and move on.

Old 06-09-2012, 11:50 PM

1 posts, read 1,223 times
Ive been renting a house for over 30 days now without a lease aggreament,and now my landlord said i have to be out by tomorro,is there a law that gives me more time to move out and not thrown in the streets?i live in phoenix ,az.

Old 06-10-2012, 09:09 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,201,842 times
You probably won't read this because you are busy packing up your stuff, but I suspect you are plum out of luck if you never had any sort of written contract.

Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,303,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDIO ARTE View Post
Ive been renting a house for over 30 days now without a lease aggreament,and now my landlord said i have to be out by tomorro,is there a law that gives me more time to move out and not thrown in the streets?i live in phoenix ,az.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tumamoc View Post
You probably won't read this because you are busy packing up your stuff, but I suspect you are plum out of luck if you never had any sort of written contract.
Well, he has to go to court first to get you out, if you don't leave, so that buys you a few days IF the judge rules in his favor. And typically, a month to month tenancy requires thirty days notice by either party.

Take a look at this, with particular attention to pages 19 and 26-27. http://www.azag.gov/civil_rights/Ten...sibilities.pdf

Old 06-11-2012, 09:43 AM

3,610 posts, read 1,201,842 times
Good info. I was wrong . Looks like the tenant has at least 10 days to move out after receiving notice if it was an oral lease agreement for week to week and 30 days if it was month to month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona