U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM

484 posts, read 435,038 times
Default Open Elections Act

<snippet>

There are more registered independents than democrats in AZ and that number is soon to surpass registered republicans.

"Since party primaries traditionally have been low-turnout affairs, the few partisan voters who do show up tend to be from the opposite ends of the ideological scale – far to the right in Republican primaries and far to the left in Democratic primaries. Moderates from both parties often fail to survive the primary, so much so that few even try...

A Merrill/Morrison Institute poll reveals

-Ninety-seven percent say a top-quality public school system is either crucial (70 percent) or very important (27 percent) to the state’s future. Yet 74 percent say the state Legislature fails to provide public schools with the necessary funding.

-Nearly three-quarters of Arizona voters either strongly oppose (54 percent) or oppose (20 percent) allowing people to carry firearms into public places such as swimming pools, libraries and college camp.

-84 percent oppose allowing religious organizations that provide health insurance for their employees to ask female employees if they use birth control."

Source:

Berman: Az voters may change way we elect candidates | Analysis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 07:32 PM

3,017 posts, read 2,454,255 times
Top Two Primaries are a sham. Why would we want to use a system used in California, Louisiana or Washington. The self-proclaimed "independents" pushing this legislation are all former Democrats minus Mike Stauffer (former Republican running for sheriff in Maricopa County).

Under this system and incumbent has never lost. The stated goal is to give independents a stronger voice and elect "moderate" candidates. Independents already have a voice as they can vote in any primary of their choosing.

A better way to address cleaning up our elections (eliminating the alleged Clean Elections would be a good start) would be reducing the signature burden placed on independents seeking to run for office. Another would be Rank Choice Voting.

How can anyone support a system that will only have two candidates in a general election?

Anyone who thinks this is a good idea should take a serious look at what this system will do to Arizona.

The Arizona Republic and folks like Ted Downing and Grady Gammage Jr are pushing hard for this. Please do some research before buying into their propaganda.

Stop Top Two

Gaming open primaries - Blog For Arizona

Richard Winger:`Top-two' open primary is no guarantee of moderation - LA Daily News

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/opi...nt-partys-over

Old 06-24-2012, 08:54 PM

484 posts, read 435,038 times
Thanks for the info

Old 06-25-2012, 08:51 AM

4,975 posts, read 2,231,839 times
I'm independent and I'm for it. I'll encourage it with my vote. Get rid of the left and right winged nut balls.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:39 AM

3,017 posts, read 2,454,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I'm independent and I'm for it. I'll encourage it with my vote. Get rid of the left and right winged nut balls.
Top Two will not get rid of either. Are California, Washington and Louisiana (where William Jefferson was re-elected under Top Two) moderate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona