Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 74,527 times

Advertisements

Coming from mississippi, both of these places are considerably better than where I am at now. I'm not really familiar with either city but I know they both have great weather, aside from phoenix in the summer. Rent and utilities seem about the same in either place. Phoenix--Tempe seems the most appealing to me-- doesn't have the ocean, but I could probably manage without that and take an occasional trip to the ca beach. My question is, which place would be better based on that I'm a 20 year old male and love art, big into music, gigantic into skateboarding(this ones pretty much my life), and organic/vegetarian food options. Phoenix seems to have many more free skate parks and no pads required, which is a huge plus. San Diego seems to have skateboarding there but I don't know where at. Also I was wondering what the good places to live are? Also, I want to take some classes at a good community college so if anyone could recommend a good community college in the are that would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2007, 01:31 PM

1,510 posts, read 5,066,110 times
Quote:
Rent and utilities seem about the same in either place.
Not really. San Diego is at least 3 times more expensive than Phoenix in rent alone. So I guess it would depend on what your budgets like.

Theres a lot more to do in San Diego for younger people, mainly because of the beach. I'd suggest you go visit both places before making any decision though.

Old 09-28-2007, 02:58 PM

thanks for the reply. I spent a week in san diego just this august and had actually found a place for 475 with utilities, unfortunately I wasn't able to go ahead and stay. I have only spent a day in phoenix. I'm not really in the situation to visit before I make the move but I do know that I hate it here in Mississippi and love it out west.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:10 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
Phoenix is a lot different from Mississippi. You might be in a situation where the grass was truly greener on the side of the fence you just jumped. Try to come out and visit first. The cost of living is far less in Phoenix than in San Diego. Glendale cc here would be a good place to start your search. There would be lots of service jobs a college student could do and, with roommates, find decent housing.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxsd View Post
Coming from mississippi, both of these places are considerably better than where I am at now. I'm not really familiar with either city but I know they both have great weather, aside from phoenix in the summer. Rent and utilities seem about the same in either place. Phoenix--Tempe seems the most appealing to me-- doesn't have the ocean, but I could probably manage without that and take an occasional trip to the ca beach. My question is, which place would be better based on that I'm a 20 year old male and love art, big into music, gigantic into skateboarding(this ones pretty much my life), and organic/vegetarian food options. Phoenix seems to have many more free skate parks and no pads required, which is a huge plus. San Diego seems to have skateboarding there but I don't know where at. Also I was wondering what the good places to live are? Also, I want to take some classes at a good community college so if anyone could recommend a good community college in the are that would be great.

If I was 20 I'd head to Cali in a minute. I wish I could re-wind the tape Try California first, if you don't like that then try Tempe.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:54 PM

I actually tried to make the move to San Diego in August, drove all the way out there, and had managed to find a livable house with 2 roommates for 475 a month with utilities, I spent about a week and 1/2 there. I wish I could have stayed there but I ended up having to head back to Mississippi. I stopped in Phoenix along the way and it was during august so i felt the heat, it seems about equal to Mississippi heat which got to 109 this summer with 88% humidity. Ill take 6 degrees more with no humidity any day. I'm not really able to make another trip to get a real feel for the cities but through that experience, I know it will not be a situation of the grass is greener on the other side. MS was ranked the worst state to live in by sperlings best places, and its true. These two months I'm having to spend here before officially making the move have been the worst two months ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona