U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 11:38 PM

2,648 posts, read 3,493,494 times
Default Living off the grid in Arizona Desert

If you live off the grid in Arizona and DO NOT have a water well or readily available supply how many gallons of water do you use in a typical month? What months do you use the most/least? How much are you paying to have it shipped to your home? What is the typical cost of drilling a water well in your area IF there is underground water available?

I am in the early stages of designing and building a system that should be capable of supplying pure drinking water to a home relatively cheaply. I am gathering information now to get an idea of what the need is for a system like I have in mind. Information would be appreciated.
GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM

2,027 posts, read 878,290 times
Just Curious what part of the state your living? I imagine somewhere north near Ash Fork, those small towns?

Old 07-04-2012, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
Just Curious what part of the state your living? I imagine somewhere north near Ash Fork, those small towns?
CinSonic,
I do not live in Arizona. I live in Lincoln, Nebraska currently. I posed my question on the Arizona board because I think of Arizona as a place where water is not always readily available. I am working on a system that can provide enough PURE drinking water to a family that is living in areas where there are no convenient sources. Is there a need for such a device in the area where you are? I am always dabbling with new inventions and this is the current project.

GL2

Old 07-05-2012, 10:18 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,889,089 times
Are there that many people here that are off grid in the desert?

I can't imagine many going where there isn't at least electricity.

Even without public water I would say it's pretty rare ... some places do wells, but the local water table isn't that hard to reach if needed.

I know that up north it's more difficult - you have cabins and remote towns, retirement areas, etc .... most people I know who have water deliveries and such live in the high elevation areas

Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM

509 posts, read 789,519 times
i am from Omaha and have lived here 19 years . i do live on the grid but few miles from me is a subdivision where people live off the grid. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Kimballette; 07-06-2012 at 10:48 AM..

Old 07-06-2012, 12:01 PM

Default My Water .

i buy 2000 gallons a month . summers more than winters . i might use more tha 2000 gallons a month , but i have a 5000 holding tank so i do have safety margin that permits me to have fluctuation on amount used . most people here have 2500 gallon holding tanks . i pay $65.00 for the 2000 gallons .if i had hauled my own water the my cost was $14.50 for 2000 gallons . the towns well is around 2300 feet , i am about 300 feet higher . i am not sure what it would cost to drill down that far . seems that somebody said it would be about $100 a foot . don't hold me to that price as it might be more or it might be less .
i live 5 miles North of Ash Fork where we have all the trimmings of living on the grid . on South side of town on Highway 89 is a subdivision called Juniperwoods where people live off the grid . then about 5 miles West on I-40 is Juniperwoods West , also off the grid .

Old 07-07-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie5 View Post
i buy 2000 gallons a month . summers more than winters . i might use more tha 2000 gallons a month , but i have a 5000 holding tank so i do have safety margin that permits me to have fluctuation on amount used . most people here have 2500 gallon holding tanks . i pay $65.00 for the 2000 gallons .if i had hauled my own water the my cost was $14.50 for 2000 gallons . the towns well is around 2300 feet , i am about 300 feet higher . i am not sure what it would cost to drill down that far . seems that somebody said it would be about $100 a foot . don't hold me to that price as it might be more or it might be less .
i live 5 miles North of Ash Fork where we have all the trimmings of living on the grid . on South side of town on Highway 89 is a subdivision called Juniperwoods where people live off the grid . then about 5 miles West on I-40 is Juniperwoods West , also off the grid .
Thanks for the info. Is 2,000 gallons a month enough for drinking, cooking, laundry, dishwashing and daily showers? How many people in the household?

I am still working on my concept but when I get to the point where I have most of the bugs worked out I would like to give a few people drawings to build and use the system. I am still experimenting with the idea on a small scale but hopefully I will have a set of drawings for a full size device in a year. The wheels turn slowly when I am retired and the fish are biting.
GL2

Old 07-07-2012, 10:13 AM

3,310 posts, read 4,475,798 times
good luck with your project, GL2.....only negative I can think of is that the very common water hauling in N Az for those who need it is not too expensive (according to Zonie's post), so another way to get pure water may not be necessary....does your project take dirty lake water or something and purify it?...could be feasible if it eliminates the need to haul water....where would the water that goes into your system come from originally?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 AM

just my wife and i , and 2000 gallons is plenty . living where water is scare one learns numerous tricks to save water . we mostly use paper plates and cups . that cuts down on need for dishwater . we don't have a dishwasher as they use too much water . we buy filtered water for drinking . before a year is up i hope to have my house sold and moved out . luck on your fishing .

Old 07-08-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
good luck with your project, GL2.....only negative I can think of is that the very common water hauling in N Az for those who need it is not too expensive (according to Zonie's post), so another way to get pure water may not be necessary....does your project take dirty lake water or something and purify it?...could be feasible if it eliminates the need to haul water....where would the water that goes into your system come from originally?
azdr,
I have been doing a patent search to see if my idea has already been patented. Over the years I have had several ideas that I thought were unique but after doing a thorough patent search I usually discover someone beat me to it. I have several ideas that I am waiting for the right conditions before I follow through with them. The last patent I got cost me over $30,000 in legal fees etc. The money I made from that one probably ended up showing about a $.30/hour return for the hours I spent working on it.

As for the source of the water it is from the humidity in the air itself. The military is using a very expensive high tech method to produce pure H2O in the Middle East with a similar system.. The military unit is reliable and portable but very expensive per gallon, not affordable to most homeowners. I thInk I have figured out a way of doing it for a fraction of the cost. It would be cost effective for many homeowners.. If I can produce 2,000 gallons of water per month year round for a total investment of $8,000. I think I can do it.
My system should be reliable and require very little maintenance but it will not be portable unless the price is doubled.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: