Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2017, 07:31 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,928,952 times

Advertisements

Ask the people in Florida where they would rather live today and I bet a lot would say AZ.
Once you go through a real hurricane then every hurricane warning after that creates HUGE stress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2017, 03:12 PM

2,067 posts, read 1,619,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acs.1979 View Post
I am pretty much sold on moving back to Florida as I have grown tired of northern winters. I love the sun, tropical flora, and the wetlands that Florida has to offer, but I keep tossing around the notion of living in the desert as well. Can anyone out there offer up a decent comparison of the quality of life, etc. in these two states? I know, I know, most of you will say that I will not be able to top where I live now as far as overall quality of life goes....but yeah...I can't deal with the thought of putting up with one more winter after I survive the one coming...
I posted on this thread before. Now that Hurricane Irma is hitting Southwest Florida, I am very glad I moved back to Phoenix last February. Irma is even worse than Frances. It is projected to continue causing hurricane winds up in Tallahassee where I used to live. It's unusual for a hurricane to hit far South FL and continue its strength deep up the panhandle into Southern Georgia (e.g. Thomasville). I'm glad I left.

Meanwhile, I hiked up Piestewa Peak today without any rain at all. The hike was glorious.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:33 AM

3,939 posts, read 6,681,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I posted on this thread before. Now that Hurricane Irma is hitting Southwest Florida, I am very glad I moved back to Phoenix last February. Irma is even worse than Frances. It is projected to continue causing hurricane winds up in Tallahassee where I used to live. It's unusual for a hurricane to hit far South FL and continue its strength deep up the panhandle into Southern Georgia (e.g. Thomasville). I'm glad I left.

Meanwhile, I hiked up Piestewa Peak today without any rain at all. The hike was glorious.
gradstudent, I seriously considered moving to Miami at one point before my wife nixed the idea. I love being near water (grew up in Massachusetts) and literally fell in love with the city, but it was as a tourist, not a resident. I was aware of the hurricane risk but was not familiar with the other issues (income disparities, high COL/low pay, traffic issues, etc.) When I added these factors it looked a lot less appealing. I then thought about Tampa because it seemed to be growing at a nice pace and seemed like a nice place to live. I had a friend move there from Arizona and within two months they were back in the desert! I asked them what happened and they replied, and I quote, "Tampa is a swamp! " Apparently the humidity was too much for them.

Gotta say I still have one eye on Florida, though, (I know I am crazy) but am grateful for Arizona and its lack of natural disasters.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:05 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,914,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It's all location dependent. We've been getting eaten by mosquitoes for the past few weeks. One of the local news people made a comment on television a week or two ago too, so it's not just us! Sure, it's not as bad as FL or lots of other places... but "bad enough" is all it takes to make sitting outside very unpleasant.

We broke down an bought a bug zapper, which does seem to help after dark.
I have a big problem with mosquitos, too, over in Scottsdale. They're a HUGE nuisance in our neighborhood. Citronella candles and tiki torches work good, as does a big fan blowing right on you to keep them off of you.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM

4,056 posts, read 5,076,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I have a big problem with mosquitos, too, over in Scottsdale. They're a HUGE nuisance in our neighborhood. Citronella candles and tiki torches work good, as does a big fan blowing right on you to keep them off of you.
Start taking vitamin B as well...apparently the mosquitoes don't like the smell of it.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:45 AM

872 posts, read 992,713 times
I'll keep FL as a vacationing spot and here for living

My biggest thing is that FL has little to no landscape variation like the Southwest/West. I love driving from Phoenix to Flag and then through the high deserts and the Grand Canyon to the Mohave and from Phoenix to SD. Miami and Disney World are fun but, I think I'd get sick of Disney if I lived near it. I'd take the Grand Canyon and SD over the beaches of FL

Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 AM

461 posts, read 550,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Ask the people in Florida where they would rather live today and I bet a lot would say AZ.
Once you go through a real hurricane then every hurricane warning after that creates HUGE stress.
I'd say this is a fair assessment.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:20 AM

483 posts, read 661,579 times
I lived in Florida three separate times. Miami, Daytona and St. Pete. Once was enough...don't know why I ever went back a couple more times. Humidity, bugs, traffic, tourists. Did I mention the humidity? And try getting a job in Miami if you don't speak Spanish.

Retired to Arizona and will never go back to Florida...with the possible exception of Key West...assuming the good bars are still standing after the hurricane.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:31 AM

382 posts, read 629,344 times
I live in the Tampa area and am seriously thinking about a move to the Phoenix/Chandler area.
We visited for a few days and loved it. I know that vacation is just vacation and we will have to go back a few times especially in the summer months.
I think without threats of hurricanes, no mosquitoes, dry weather, Phoenix may win.
I realize every place has its pros and cons and AZ has it's dust storms and hot weather. Everything in life is a compromise.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:17 PM

3,939 posts, read 6,681,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markeg View Post
I live in the Tampa area and am seriously thinking about a move to the Phoenix/Chandler area.
We visited for a few days and loved it. I know that vacation is just vacation and we will have to go back a few times especially in the summer months.
I think without threats of hurricanes, no mosquitoes, dry weather, Phoenix may win.
I realize every place has its pros and cons and AZ has it's dust storms and hot weather. Everything in life is a compromise.
Yes you should definitely visit in the summer. Honestly, it is very hot, but the lack of humidity appeals to many people, hence, part of the reason we're growing so fast. Dust storms are more of a nuisance and are dangerous if you're driving in one because your visibility is hindered but you won't be swept away like in a hurricane. If you can adjust to desert living this may be a good place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona