Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 12:07 PM

13,166 posts, read 21,711,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverock View Post
Again, not my personal exaggeration but a perspective from a family who was just there. Similar post on this thread gives their opinion some credit. Whats "fair" for costs is subjective.
No offense, but your information is third hand and conflicts with my personal direct experience. I've given you a link which clearly spells out their packages. You weren't talking about fair costs before. You claimed they were nickle and diming and nailing you for everything. Go back and reread your own post if you have to. People can read their packages on their site and decide for themselves whether it seems worthwhile. But again, they do not "nickle and dime" for every little thing like you said. That makes them sound deceptive which they are not. Since you are relying on hearsay and have no direct experience with them, you really shouldn't be trashing their business.

Last edited by kdog; 08-17-2012 at 12:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM

58 posts, read 188,189 times
Hearsay, yes that's correct. Since the family is not on this fourm to back up their opinion, take it for what it's worth. Just the messenger. People may not have had the information that you did, aware of the pricing.

From what I understand there was no planing, they just drove out.

Glad you had a different experience, Im sure your links will be helpfull.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:08 PM

You're still missing the point. The tour packages are clearly spelled out at the office. You can choose a package or you can turn around and leave. There is no nickle and diming or "charging for every little thing", like you said. I simply want to correct that bit of misinformation.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:15 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,134,888 times
And now we can move on with the discussion, right?

Old 08-17-2012, 01:16 PM

Right.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:24 PM

I'll be sure and pass on your tips next time we talk to the family.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:37 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,689,743 times
Good evening. It's obvious that KDog and I will never agree on the amenities that currently exist at The West Rim. Rather than debate on the obvious pluses of South Rim, I will offer my opinion on what West Rim can do to get more repeat regional visitors from the SW.And reduce the negative stigma that many feel about the place.

1) From a Devils Advocate point of view, I'll go along with the separate fees for parking and bus as well as to walk the Skywalk. What is completely unacceptable is not being allowed to take your own pics regardless of if they are worried about the glass. Many mumbled my sentiments. It is BS and restrictive to not be allowed to take your own pics and pay someone else $25.

2) The fact is it's a desert that doesn't offer the summer relief of South Rim being at a much lower elevation with lesser vantage points of The Canyon. It will never have the accessible trails like South Rim has either being on a res.

3) Pave the 15 miles of dirt roads. Many do not want to deal with that a second time. The short term costs of paving will be more than offset by regional visitors checking it out a second time.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:34 PM

I'm not advocating going to the west rim instead of the south rim. They are two completely different experiences. I'm simply pointing out what I felt were some stated inaccuracies.

A few comments about your points.

1) I don't recall a separate parking fee, but it's possible. The parking is at the airport, maybe that's part of the deal they have with them.

Regarding the Skywalk, it cost millions of dollars to build. It is a joint venture with a Las Vegas land developer and the entrance fees for it go into a different pool that they split. The Indians kept the base price of tours the same, and charge additional for the new feature. What's the big deal? You would prefer they only have one package price that costs more money and includes the Skywalk? That would be rather silly. Having it optional is a good thing.

I was there shortly before the Skywalk opened, so it wasn't an option for me. Personally, being a photographer, I probably wouldn't go on it either. BTW, the stated reason they don't allow folks to bring cameras on the skywalk is that they're afraid people may drop them and chip the glass. May be true, or may be BS. I dunno.

2) Grand Canyon West is at 5,000' elevation. South Rim is at 7,000'. I don't consider that to be a vast difference like you stated.

3) According to their website, it's currently 9 miles of "well maintained graded dirt", not 15 as you stated. I say better to go now because once it's paved the entire way, the number of visitors will skyrocket.

Anyway, I found it a pleasant way to spend a half-day with the family. I've posted lots of pictures before in another thread about Grand Canyon West, so won't bore you with them again. But here's an aerial view I snapped from a buddies plane.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:51 PM

Some reviews of the Grand Canyon Skywalk some may find helpfull, or not.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-grand-canyon-skywalk-grand-canyon-west

Old 08-17-2012, 07:12 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,689,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I'm not advocating going to the west rim instead of the south rim. They are two completely different experiences. I'm simply pointing out what I felt were some stated inaccuracies.

A few comments about your points.

1) I don't recall a separate parking fee, but it's possible. The parking is at the airport, maybe that's part of the deal they have with them.

Regarding the Skywalk, it cost millions of dollars to build. It is a joint venture with a Las Vegas land developer and the entrance fees for it go into a different pool that they split. The Indians kept the base price of tours the same, and charge additional for the new feature. What's the big deal? You would prefer they only have one package price that costs more money and includes the Skywalk? That would be rather silly. Having it optional is a good thing.

I was there shortly before the Skywalk opened, so it wasn't an option for me. Personally, being a photographer, I probably wouldn't go on it either. BTW, the stated reason they don't allow folks to bring cameras on the skywalk is that they're afraid people may drop them and chip the glass. May be true, or may be BS. I dunno.

2) Grand Canyon West is at 5,000' elevation. South Rim is at 7,000'. I don't consider that to be a vast difference like you stated.

3) According to their website, it's currently 9 miles of "well maintained graded dirt", not 15 as you stated. I say better to go now because once it's paved the entire way, the number of visitors will skyrocket.

Anyway, I found it a pleasant way to spend a half-day with the family. I've posted lots of pictures before in another thread about Grand Canyon West, so won't bore you with them again. But here's an aerial view I snapped from a buddies plane.
To be fair KDog, there isn't a specific fee to park. But you are forced to pay for the shuttle service so I consider that a package deal when I could walk for free instead on GC SR.Mather Point to GC Village is about the same distance to walk and there aren't any restrictive stone walls preventing one from going very close to the edge on South Rim. The only walls are in and around GC Village.

2000' is fairly significant from a temp standpoint. The PondeBullBoxer31 of the South Rim shave off an additional 10 degrees in itself. The combination of 2000' plus the lush vegetation cooling the heating of the day creates easily a 15-20 degree temp difference. 85 at SR and 100-105 at WR are generally the average temps in the summer at the those 2 places. Honestly, WR reminds me of the Holbrook area with a canyon.

BTW, I do like Mohave County which is where your ties lie. The whole Kingman to Laughlin region is very nice and hopefully will stay that way for a long time. Nice pic too !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona