Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 09:35 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,158,736 times

Advertisements

I'll add that the o/p has not provided enough information to give detailed, useful advice. Being gay is only one aspect of a person. Financial situation, personal interests, and (as another member pointed out) health issues are major considerations for seniors.

Gays and lesbians are not considered out of the ordinary in the Phoenix metro area. You'll find the occasional jerk, just as you will anywhere else. I have several gay friends in different parts of the metro area. None of them have experienced any problems here as a result of their sexual orientation. They're not retirement age, but are in various careers in north Phoenix, as well as the east and west valley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2012, 09:57 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,219,847 times
I agree with the above. We need more information to offer useful suggestions.

What do you like to do? What kind of places would you like nearby or how far a distance are you willing to go for them? What type of climate do you prefer? Would you be looking for a place to rent or purchase? What is your budget? Do you prefer being in a community with young people or in an active adult area? Do you drive or will you depend upon public transportation?

Old 08-26-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
AZ socially has a pretty Libertarian "Live and Let Live" attitude in places like Tempe and Scottsdale. As well as places such as Tucson and Flagstaff that have an even more Liberal vibe.

Areas to avoid near PHX. Gilbert and Far East Mesa. A far right vibe in both areas with a high LDS population.
I wouldn't avoid any area of the valley because of sexual orientation. I have a GLBT friend who lives and works in Gilbert and she has no issues at all.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:08 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
I worked around 7th and Camelback in Phoenix and a large portion of my clients were Gay or Lesbian. Im not sure why nobody mentions this area.

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,262,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
I wouldn't avoid any area of the valley because of sexual orientation. I have a GLBT friend who lives and works in Gilbert and she has no issues at all.
yup, I live in Gilbert and these Mormons are pretty nice to everyone.

Old 08-26-2012, 05:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
I worked around 7th and Camelback in Phoenix and a large portion of my clients were Gay or Lesbian. Im not sure why nobody mentions this area.
Agreed. Word has it the "Gay" scene is huge in that part of Phoenix, much bigger than Tucson.

I'd Google "Gay bars" and go from there.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:14 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
As others have said, I don't think the OP is limited to that area in finding a place where she and her partner would be comfortable.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
Apache Junction or Mesa.
While GLBT people live all over Arizona, these two areas are traditionally considered far more socially conservative than other areas of Maricopa County. In addition, for seniors with medical concerns, some areas of Apache Junction would not be close enough to quality medical care.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:38 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,328,019 times
It seems my post was a little short. I based my recomendation on personal knowledge. My Lesbian Sister lives in Mesa, and she lived for years on Ironwood in Apache Junction. Most of the Circle "K" Group of Lesbians live in AJ or Mesa. I know because I did a College Paper on "The Gay Lifestyle" in 2006, while living with my Sister and three other Lesbians.

I was serious about my reference to AJ and Mesa. The GLBT Community in that part of the Valley tend to be more upwardly mobile and affluent.

You will be happy where ever you land.

Old 09-12-2012, 01:50 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
It's odd that nobody has mentioned east Phoenix or Scottsdale. I live in east Phoenix, and there are a lot of openly gay people around here. As a straight guy, I actually feel like I'm in the minority sometimes. Much of Scottsdale is very open and diverse in an upwardly mobile kind of way, and quite a few areas in Scottsdale are very suitable for seniors & retirees. Not sure if the OP is looking for something in a metropolitan setting, or she prefers a smaller town ... but east Phoenix and Scottsdale would be two places to consider if she wants a large metro area. Of course, the communities that are senior dominated like the Sun Cities, Sun Lakes, etc., would be places to consider if she wants to be around people her own age (and in a safe location). In any case, I highly doubt if there would any hostility or resentment about somebody else's sexual preference regardless of location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona