Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:57 AM

4 posts, read 5,817 times

Advertisements

We are two senior ladies who are gay and now live in CA, but due to our health we are looking to find
a nice place to move too.

Over 55+ and gay, where is the safest and nice place to go in AZ?

Thanks for any help..

Jo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 06:19 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,334,839 times
Apache Junction or Mesa.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,998,645 times
A little more info would help. Are you looking more for a large city, smaller town...? Are you seeking a larger LGBT population, or do you want something more quiet and out of the way? Are jobs an issue?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:52 PM

308 posts, read 791,275 times
Are you implying some areas may not be safe for you because you are gay? Live where you want to and don't make any more an issue of being gay than I do of being straight and you will be fine.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:56 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
I agree with the others so far . . . more information and a little clarification would be nice.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:27 PM

861 posts, read 2,191,737 times
I dont believe you will find anyplace that is "unsafe"....and very few places that will be unwelcoming. Move where you want, mind your own business, treat folks right and most folks will treat you right in return.

Contrary to popular opinion, simply because folks may not agree with your choices or lifestyle does not make them bigots or intolerant, and most (not all, mind you, there will always be a few jerks) will simply accept you for who you are.

Old 08-26-2012, 12:14 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
AZ socially has a pretty Libertarian "Live and Let Live" attitude in places like Tempe and Scottsdale. As well as places such as Tucson and Flagstaff that have an even more Liberal vibe.

Areas to avoid near PHX. Gilbert and Far East Mesa. A far right vibe in both areas with a high LDS population.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:16 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Bisbee tries to be what San Francisco used to be. I personally wouldn't live in the Phoenix Area because of the hate there. Tucson near the University would be another alternative. Either way I'd go with Baja Arizona

Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I was going to suggest Flagstaff but I saw two words in your post that probably makes the area a question mark-health issues. The area gets cold in the winter and it can really snow at times. This past March 20th a storm rolled through and dumped three feet of snow in town while I was staying the night. But I've been through Flag-town lots of times and have always enjoyed my stay there. It's a university town (Northern Arizona Univ.) as well as Tucson. And the summers and early Fall are a delight!

If you're not bonkers on cold winters, then yes, like Boompa suggests, Tucson would be my choice over Phoenix.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:49 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,746,321 times
I would suggest exploring Sun City. The taxes here are very low compared to other areas and especially in some of the higher end 55 developments. There are 7 golf courses, 7 recreational centers with walking pools, lap pools, gyms etc. I don't see any bigotry or hatred towards same sex couples here and my friend who lives in Ventana Lakes (55) has a gay couple as her new pool friends. Go where you like.

Here are a few suggestions:

Trilogy/Vistancia: On the higher end with homes in the $200,000 and the HOA fee around $2++ a month. It is a gated/guarded development in the foothills of Peoria. Newer construction and the ammenities are very posh, an indoor pool/gym/spa, a lovely restaurant on site and a golf course. You can find an occasional foreclosed or a short sale home in there for less than $200,000.

Ventana Lks: Homes are around $130's and up. HOA fees are reasonable ....less than $100 a month. You have a pool and a little rec center but my friend says the activities stink..her opinion. Others I know that live there love it. All depends on what you are looking for.

Sun City Grand: The newer of the Del Webb developments here. Homes are nice, newer floor plans. Not sure what they are going for now. I believe the homes were started in the mid 90's. Newer recreational facilities.

Sun City West: Worth looking at. They have numerous clubs. Homes were built in the 80's. I don't care for the ranch style homes there, but prices are still reasonable.

Sun City the original and first 55 + development in the USA. Condos can still be found in the $70,000 range and small homes as well. They will need updating if they have not already been remodeled by a builder. Some homes are well maintained and you can live in them comfortably. The AC units on some of the homes are often older so plan on a new one. Some have had them replaced in the last few years. Pleanty of clubs over 100 of them and the gym is as nice as L.A Fittness. Love the walking pool and the lap pool. The clay/pottery clubs are huge and the equipment well maintained. Hope you find your spot. Others on the east side and with more knowledge of HOA fees and prices will chime in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona