U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 AM

1 posts, read 657 times
Smile Where to live in AZ

Hi there everyone!!! I'm Jeanette about me, I am a young 55 with my pup Jesse and we are looking to move from Brooklyn New York to Arizona in the near future, but not sure where? I plan to work but where not sure at the moment hopefully that will come into play once I have a better idea where I would like to settle. I now work as a admistrative/receptionist for a law firm in Manhattan, so I am looking to be close enough to a city but not too close ... I am thinking and am weary of the areas not sure where is the safest? I am looking to buy not rent.

I would really appreciate some insight and positive feed back please.... I am doing my research and I was looking in Tucson, In the Phoenix area, Sun City West and Sun City, Anaheim, Foothill but I am open to suggestions. I do plan to take a visit also but would like to have a good idea where to visit and research further.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 10:26 AM

1,076 posts, read 941,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asummersnight View Post
Hi there everyone!!! I'm Jeanette about me, I am a young 55 with my pup Jesse and we are looking to move from Brooklyn New York to Arizona in the near future, but not sure where? I plan to work but where not sure at the moment hopefully that will come into play once I have a better idea where I would like to settle. I now work as a admistrative/receptionist for a law firm in Manhattan, so I am looking to be close enough to a city but not too close ... I am thinking and am weary of the areas not sure where is the safest? I am looking to buy not rent.

I would really appreciate some insight and positive feed back please.... I am doing my research and I was looking in Tucson, In the Phoenix area, Sun City West and Sun City, Anaheim, Foothill but I am open to suggestions. I do plan to take a visit also but would like to have a good idea where to visit and research further.

Thank you
First, congrats on your decision to move to sunny Arizona! Are you looking to only buy in a 55+ community? There are lots of nice communities all over the state. If you are tired of city life you may want to consider Tucson, which has a slower pace of living than in the valley where I live (Chandler/Tempe). However, moving from the East (Brooklyn in particular), to the West will mean a slower pace anyways. The greater Phoenix area may yeild more employment opportunities and a few more events. However, you are never too far from anything in the state if you are open to travelling.

Safety is good in the 55+ communities. Chandler, Gilbert, Peoria, Parts of Phoenix, Scottsdale, Mesa all have wonderful neighborhoods as well. I used to live in Brooklyn in the mid 80s and loved it then, but I am a Westerner now and plan to stay that way. Do you have family or friends out here? That will also help with your transition. Good luck and DM me if you have any other questions!

Old 09-02-2012, 07:56 AM

5,011 posts, read 3,202,400 times
Hi Jeanette,

There are many active adult communities, in both the Phoenix & Tucson metro areas, all of which are reasonably safe. (They're much safer than anywhere in Brooklyn, for sure.) The PXH metro area is huge, in terms of land mass. The TUS metro area is large, but not anywhere near as large as PHX. What this means is if you find a place you want to live and then find work you want, you could conceivably be driving the distance from Flatbush & DeKalb all the way into Nassau County and back for a daily commute. For most people, that would be a nightmare.

It's rather challenging to find a job when you're living out-of-state, but the most optimal situation would be to find a job first and then choose where to live based upon the distance you're willing to commute. Does anyone at your firm have connections in AZ they could recommend you to?

There are some lovely rentals to be found in the active adult communities and most are reasonably priced. (Many will allow a small dog, too.) My suggestion is to rent for a year first, before committing to a purchase, especially if you're coming without a job in-hand. That will give you an opportunity to personally explore all of your many options, before investing a large sum of money in a home purchase. It will also give you the opportunity to accept a position which meets your needs, regardless of it's location, since you can always look to buy something closer to where you wind up working.

Another thing to consider is what you like to do on your time off and how close you would like to be to these things, since PHX and TUS offer many of the same, but also different amenities. There seems to also be a different "vibe" between these two cities and the areas which surround them - which is yet one more reason it may be good to rent for a year first. Also, what amenities do you want in your community? Many offer on-site golf courses, for example, but not all do.

Here are just some active adult communities you may wish to explore. (There are many more.) Some are quite a bit farther from the more central cores, while others are closer in. The closer-in ones will probably be more conducive to finding work in better proximity. You didn't mention your budget, but this list represents a wide range.

Sun City
Sun City Grand
Sun City West
Pebble Creek
Sun Lakes
Trilogy at Power Ranch
Trilogy at Vistancia
Leisure World
Heritage Highlands at Dove Mountain
Continental Ranch Sunflower
Saddlebrooke
Sun City Oro Valley

I linked some of the above. Others you can find here.

Good luck in your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona