Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,815,259 times

Advertisements

Went to Flagstaff today: def a "hippie" feeling in the old part of town by Aspen, Humphrey and the Rt 66 across from the railroad tracks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 11:13 AM

861 posts, read 2,181,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broomstick View Post
Both Bisbee and Jerome appear to be more of ghost towns than anything.
Bisbee and area are over 14,000...hardly a ghost town. I have become reacquainted with Bisbee the last year or so and find it beautiful, interesting and really weird. A great place.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,897,421 times
Bisbee is really the only city that meets your requirements.

Sedona, LOL. Sedona is a place for aging yuppies and hipsters. It may be trendy right now to be into crystals and yoga, but as soon as it isn't the people in Sedona will move onto the next big trend. The only thing the vortexes in Sedona seem to attract are a large number of the United States' most vapid and annoying people.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,815,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

Sedona, LOL. Sedona is a place for aging yuppies and hipsters. It may be trendy right now to be into crystals and yoga, but as soon as it isn't the people in Sedona will move onto the next big trend. The only thing the vortexes in Sedona seem to attract are a large number of the United States' most vapid and annoying people.
Sedona looks like it might be good to live there tho.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:45 PM

5 posts, read 32,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
GOT to count OATMAN not much of a city....but HIPPY to the HIPPEST
I've been to Oatman twice. I will agree hippy, but the people I talked to seemed more conservative than liberal. Maybe southwest liberalism is different than what it is in Indiana.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,887,186 times
Another one for Bisbee. I LOVE Bisbee. One of the only towns with a co-op in Arizona. A wonderful farmers market with live music. Coffee shops, a few yoga shops, art everywhere, plays, etc. You can always overhear people having meaningful, intellectual discussions. You even have the hippie 'style' going on. And a pretty rockin night life (from what I hear) for that size of a town.

And if you really need a Target fix or something of the like, Sierra Vista is just 20-30 minutes away. (I know, because I lived there and drove to Bisbee to get my hippie fix.) Sierra Vista has many faults in my books, but it does have some decent box-store shopping.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 PM

108 posts, read 391,591 times
Default Bisbee, Arizona

Bisbee, Arizona is the only place in AZ that comes anything close to a hippie town or psychedellic city.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:17 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,048,996 times
As mentioned, too small, but anyone who ever went through Jerome in the mid 60's would have to agree it was one of the first. . . . if it weren't for the hippies, it probably would be a total ghost town and slid all the way down the hill by now.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:58 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,846,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post

I have tourists ask me, all the time, about the vortexes in Sedona. I tell them I don't know anything about them, and I don't. I've lived here for my whole life and wouldn't know a vortex if it jumped up and slapped me upside the head. I've always thought someone just made that up to get attention and bring people to Sedona. I still think I was right.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:05 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,846,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Jermone is out, it's around 500. Cottonwood has some hippies and Old Town is rather cool but I don't know if it's enough for you.

AZ is rather conservative but you'll find some liberals.
Jerome doesn't seem that small to me and I don't think I'd call it "hippie". Years ago, yes, and it was the hippies that kept the town from totally dying out. I remember, very well, as the disparaging remarks I heard about "those damn hippies up in Jerome" but they did a VERY good thing for the town.

I think Old Town Cottonwood just 'looks' hippiefied but really isn't, so much. It sure doesn't look anything like it did when I was growing up though! Well, old landmarks, for sure but they are all something other than what they used to be except for a very few. I met the new owner of the old Sundial Motel a couple weeks ago. He's turning the place into a motel/apts/shops thing. All the upstairs will be motel rooms/apts. and downstairs he wants all shops. Sounds interesting but wondering what all these shops would be that aren't already on Main Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona