Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:44 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,219,584 times

Advertisements

right on - didn't see that update for the 2012 returns

as mentioned it doesn't take away the "use-tax" though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
It's still cheaper to shop with Amazon. You don't pay city tax so you are saving about 3%. With Amazon prime, shipping is free. Furthermore, Amazon receives special rates on certain items that Walmart, Target and Best Buy doesn't receive. For example, DVD's are often cheaper from Amazon than Target or even Walmart. And for me, I like to pre-order DVD's prior to their release and I will receive them at my home for free on the day of release (Tuesday).

Lastly, many items simply can't be found at big box retailers like certain DVD's, CD's, books etc. Not only can you find them on Amazon, with Amazon prime, I can have them shipped for free within 2 days to my door. And the Big Box stores like Best Buy offer lousy service. Why am I going to drive there, receive bad service from some lazy 20 something and then discover they don't even carry the item I'm seeking. Best Buy is on its last legs, it's only a matter of time before it declares bankruptcy the way Circuit City and Ultimate Electronics did.

I think the reasons for charging sales tax didn't make much sense. It's not going to change people's shopping habits. If anything, this sends the wrong message to Amazon. We are not California, we can't afford to pi#$ off companies that are willingly doing business here.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:19 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,294,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
Clearly, a big win-win for all Arizonans:
win1) The local government has more revenue which it spends almost completely local
win2) Local retailers who actually employ people in Arizona have a better chance to compete which increases revenue for the private sector. This in turn will be spent more locally too (rather than at Amazon headquarters in Seattle).

Ideally, the state government would spend the money on wages, particularly the lower wage bracket. Higher government wages will require the private sector to raise wages as well or lose employees. Somebody has to start boosting our way-too-low median incomes in Arizona.
Really, do you recall the last sales tax increase that we voted on that was supposed to go toward education and instead went to the nebulous government coffers. There is a lot of red tape in our government and you have to question how much of those increased taxes actually goes to benefit the people. I trust the private sector far more.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:57 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
I think Arizona's just ahead of the curve on this one. There's talk of similar steps coming in other states.

Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,697,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pickering View Post
You must pay for government somehow. When you buy out of state you defeat the purpose of taxation to operate government.

The solution is to stop voting for those who want to grow government.
The past 20 years has been the exact opposite. It seems everyone wants everything and not have to work for it. Whether its giant corps or individuals. gimme gimme gimme should be the new American theme song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
The original rationale for taxing income, was that it would incentivize local governments to grow the income base with higher incomes and more industries. The rationale for taxing property was to keep property values from dropping. It made it less likely to allow factories to be built in residential areas, and more likely to build parks and good schools.

What do the sales taxes incentivize the government to do? Raise the cost of living?
hahaha. This is the best post ever.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:24 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen431 View Post
The original rationale for taxing income, was that it would incentivize local governments to grow the income base with higher incomes and more industries. The rationale for taxing property was to keep property values from dropping. It made it less likely to allow factories to be built in residential areas, and more likely to build parks and good schools.

What do the sales taxes incentivize the government to do? Raise the cost of living?
It's for snowbirds, transplants, business. Low property tax, higher sales tax = more spending. Service industry state, makes more money on the way out instead of the way in.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:53 PM

509 posts, read 1,697,920 times
all i can say is i don't shop Amazon .

Old 11-03-2012, 09:06 PM

90 posts, read 106,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Really, do you recall the last sales tax increase that we voted on that was supposed to go toward education and instead went to the nebulous government coffers. There is a lot of red tape in our government and you have to question how much of those increased taxes actually goes to benefit the people. I trust the private sector far more.
When politicians say 'It's about the children', it isn't about the children. This is all about the government & their union thugs taking their cut like a mafioso.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM

8,000 posts, read 17,331,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamestheFin View Post
When politicians say 'It's about the children', it isn't about the children. This is all about the government & their union thugs taking their cut like a mafioso.
Sadly you are 100% correct.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:38 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,354,986 times
If Amazon has no brick and mortar ops in AZ, why should they be paying any taxes to AZ? They get zero gov't. services - no fire, EMS, police, garbarge, water, nothing. They have no employees using the roads here. They cost the state nothing, so they should pay the state nothing. When I buy books, I just buy used from half dot com. I buy a lot of car parts from a drop shipper in CA with free shipping and no sales tax. There are always drop shippers on eBay who ship from outside AZ and don't charge sales tax too. Other than gas, groceries and booze (which is already dirt cheap in AZ compared to other states), that's how I shop. The state will never try to cut spending, they'll just look for more revenue. If I live above my means, it doesn't make any kind of case for asking my boss for a raise. Starve the beast, don't feed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona